Key Largo Build Update

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

shep

Key Largo Build Update

Postby shep » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:15 pm

Finally finished sides and hull. On trailer now. Engine going in next and then interior and decks!
L1030855.JPG

billy c

Re: Key Largo Build Update

Postby billy c » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Shep-
that is one beautiful build!
love the fact that you went back and spiled the planks like the originals.
keep us updated (pics :lol:) as you continue your craft
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Beautiful!!1 Luv the matching bottom and trailer!! :D

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Shep

Nice job!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Shep - IMPRESSIVE :D .

What engine are you installing?
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:06 pm

First Class. Great bottom paint color. What is it?

Bob Perkins

Postby Bob Perkins » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:44 pm

Very Nice!!!

Great job!!

I'd recommend building a cradle for the boat to sit on.
They trailer will be in the way and put the boat up very high when working on it.
My cradle had wheels so I could move the boat around in the shop since it was a bit tight. sometimes.

Super looking boat.
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

red

Postby red » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Shep great job your boat looks awsome cant wait to see it finished.

shep

Postby shep » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:23 pm

Think I have tendenitis in my elbow from all the sanding...thankfully done with that for a while. I used System Three LPU paint for the bottom. Since it's going to be on a trailer most of it's life, I thought I would try going with that. I had someone rig the engine for me as I wasn't sure I wanted to take that on. While Ken H. seemed adament about only using a V6 unless extending to the 20' version (which I did not), I am going with a small block V8 (305 PCM). I did a water test a prior to replanking and it seemed solid particularly considering no deck frames in or the bridge behind drivers seat. Haven't seen or heard if anyone has done this but would welcome any feedback??

shep

Postby shep » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:34 pm

Bob...saw your comments on a cradle. I did build one with wheels and allowed me to easily move around the garage. That was without engine. With engine going back in, am worried about the extra weight and then how do I get off trailer and onto cradle?
L1030847.JPG

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:27 am

Shep - My cradle was very similar. When I turned my hull, I estimated the weight at 900#. By the time, I finished I estimate 2400# (including engine). The cradle did fine. I simply attached an overhead chain pulley to the motor stringers in the aft compartment and in the front compartment and picked it up. I see you have lift rings. That will do it.

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Bob Perkins

Postby Bob Perkins » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:47 am

Hey Shep,

My first cradle was not very strong - the this second version is much better. I'm sure it is over built. The wheels were the tricky part. Figure each wheel needs to be able to support 750+ pounds. These particular wheels ended up failing over time. I later bought big heavy duty ones that did just fine. You can see I used 2x6's and created cross beams to support the weight. The supports are bolted through.

Getting it off and on the trailer was very scary at first. Now - I can do it in ~45 minutes. Very simple.

If you look at the front of the shop - you will see big eye bolts drilled through and over the top of the door.
Next a heavy duty towing hold down strap as a sling under the boat. My building is relatively new (10 years). I would not do the same on an old structure.

I added another eye bolt and used a line from my sailboat as a safety line as a precaution just in case something let loose. But nothing ever even groaned..

I don't have pics of the next step, but it is pretty simple.. While your boat is on the trailer - use a car jack and jack up trailer boat and everything under the sling on the front of the boat. You will have to work on this a bit to get the right height so that it clears the trailer as you pull it out. Mine is 36" from the floor.

When it is jacked up, snug up the tow strap and let the front of the trailer down. Do not ratchet the strap on the boat, it just messes up the finish as it pulls.

OK - so now the front of the boat is in the air.

You will need to get a pair of powerboat stands for the back.
My trailer comes right to the end of the transom - so I had to jack the boat up a little bit off the trailer (car - floor jack) using a 'T' shaped 4x4 with a hunk of 2x6 for the rear of the boat and slide the trailer forward ~2 feet. So the trailer is still under the boat, but now you have room to get the boat stands under.

Now - you can jack the trailer up and put the boat stands under when the boat gets to a good height - or jack the boat up enough to get the stands under and use the stand screws to raise the boat.

Once the trailer is clear - roll it out and roll the cradle in place.

Next - use the car jack to raise the back of the cradle up under the boat and lift the back end off the stands. Pull out the stands and lower to the floor.

Then jack the front of the cradle to release the tension on the tow strap - remove - and lower the front end to the floor.

Done...

Like I said, the first couple of times I was afraid - now... I don't even think about it... The trailer in the shop is a pain..
Just make sure the wheels are strong and will not buckle.

Hope this helps

ps. I did not do lift rigs - that would have made the processes simpler at the bow.
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

shep

Postby shep » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks for the help!! Will likely look to do this as will be much easier to maneuver around.

khundley

Postby khundley » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:58 pm

Beautiful! I didn't know anyone was building the Key Largo! She looks gorgeous, Shep, can't wait to see more of her.

I almost pulled the trigger on the plans this weekend, but we have been dealing with massive ice damming leaking water into the house. The insurance covered some, I had to cover the rest...so long mad money!

Anyway, I'll get the plans soon, and will probably start this stick by stick. I have 5 guitars I need to finish first, and maybe sell some of them to finance the boat, I hope.

Do you have somewhere I can browse your build? I'd love to see more of your work. I have decided on the Key Largo, though, despite what I said about the engine and other specifics, I am still waffling about quite a bit of it. Most of it will boil down to what I can afford, or what I can fit in the garage. Fantastic job, got me more excited now that I see one that is more than a sketch! How big of a space did you have to build? Again, beautiful work so far!
Ken Hundley
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

shep

Postby shep » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:02 am

Created a link with pictures and story of my build process...

http://keylargobarrelback19utility.shutterfly.com/

Return to “Hankinson designs”