Key Largo Build Update

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

david vangsness

Re: Key Largo Build Update

Postby david vangsness » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:43 pm

Shep,
I actually built a small jump-seat to face backward behind my front bench seat, but have never installed it. It is very small and the room around the motor box is pretty tight.
I like the amount of room for walking around while fishing or getting skiers/tubers in and out of the water, but otherwise there isn't really a practical seating option in there.
A straigth-6 engine may have been the ticket if I'd really considered that way back at the beginning! The V-6 or 8 config is pretty wide, particularly after the exhaust manifolds etc.
Completed Key Largo in 2011!

Grampa Steve

Postby Grampa Steve » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:13 pm

Shep,
Loving your build.
Please tell me where you got that steering wheel which would look just right on our Belle Isle "Old's Cool" build as well.

shep

Postby shep » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:15 pm

Its made by Grant. Mahogany Classic Banjo steering wheel. Model 1057. I used Shopzilla to find lowest price. Just checked and see several companies offering free shipping (on ebay). Pricey but has the right look!

shep

Postby shep » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:07 pm

Finally able to prep and apply varnish on decks. I went with Bill's recommendation - Perfection Plus two part varnish. 3 coats today and very pleased with outcome - clear and glossy. Despite best efforts to eliminate dust, I still ended up with a fair amount. Will be sanding and applying 1-2 more coats. I used interlux 206 to wipe down epoxy as directed with lint free rags but still left too much dust. I cleaned up everything pretty well prior to varnishing. I pulled the boat out of garage yesterday (nice to get it in the day light!), washed/whiped the decks/topsides/trailer to remove sanding dust. Used blower to clean out garage, then hosed the floors down before varnishing today.

Any good tips on type of rags that leaves nothing behind?
Attachments
L1050505.JPG
L1050509.JPG

vettepilot

Postby vettepilot » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:18 am

shep wrote:Any good tips on type of rags that leaves nothing behind?

Paint Shops should have them...their called Tac Rags here in Australia
The Bitterness of Poor Quality, Remains Long After The Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten...Thanks Dad R.I.P.

shep

Postby shep » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:48 am

Got it...thx. Yes we have them. I have several bags of them on hand. Guess I need to start making check lists :?

red

Postby red » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:36 pm

if you blow out the shop with the airhose or blower you really need to wait 24 hours to let everything settle before tacking it all off and painting the very fine dust will stay stirred up for a long time

shep

Postby shep » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:04 am

Making progress with my build and am nearing completion. Have set a launch date for the first weekend in June at Lake Tahoe. Need to add spray rails and then one more coat of varnish on deck and topsides for exterior. I dry fitted/mounted hardware on decks and thru hulls for gas vent and bildge discharge. Electrical basically done and all operational except for ignition switch and starter button. Hoping to find some help.

Am using a two position ignition switch (off/on). This switch has two contacts. I beliieve wiring for this is the ignition wire from engine harness (2003 PCM 5.0 MPI) and the other wire being power source or bat. The starter button has two contacts. I believe wiring for this is starter wire from engine harness and then not sure which goes to second contact. Does it connect to ignition wire or bat wire on the ignition switch? Hope this makes sense.

slug

Postby slug » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:51 am

Normally it would connect to the ignition side of the "ignition switch" so that you can't turn over the engine when the switch is off.
Doug

shep

Postby shep » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:14 pm

Question on spray rails. I forgot to put on earlier and just fit them now. Should they fastened and epoxied on or fastened with bedding compound?? Appreciate any feed back. Thx!
Attachments
image.jpg

Bob Perkins

Postby Bob Perkins » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:14 pm

I do not have spray rails, but they seem like something you may need to be fixable if they get dinged up..
I'm voting bedding compound.
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:26 pm

Your picture is really called guard rails. The Sprayrails run along the chine for the length of the boat. You do need these. They should be replacable.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

shep

Postby shep » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:49 pm

Guess I got these mixed up. So if I leave off spray rails, how wet will the rear passengers get?? :lol:

Think at this point I will omit and consider for future if it's a problem. Will put guards on with bedding compound. Thanks all.

Am launching June 8th. Almost ready for upholstery :D

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:46 pm

Shep

The gaurd rail protects you at the dock. Without the sprayrails everybody gets wet when you come off plane. Just telling you. They are worth the effort.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

shep

Postby shep » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Going to be a challenge with spray rails as very little clearance btw chine and side bunks on trailer. I will tackle after initial launch I think. Got 2nd coat of epoxy on guard rails today. Will varnish and then attach.

Cut templates today for glass as shown in pic below...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Return to “Hankinson designs”