Aussie Belle...

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Aussie

Aussie Belle...

Postby Aussie » Mon May 02, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi all,

Well i have finally started to build my Belle isle!
I have had a few other things to get out of the way first (Had to do complete babies room for
my daughter who is due in 5 weeks) that meant painting room, new timber flooring and making some furniture. Now that is complete all my time can now be devoted to the build!!!

I am cutting out frames at the moment and have attached a couple of pics....
The feeling i got when i made the first cut was pure nerves followed by excitement and a smile that i am still wearing 3 days later....
This is going to be so much fun.....

Aussie
Attachments
DSCN0328 (Large).JPG
DSCN0329 (Large).JPG
DSCN0324 (Large).JPG

Bill Edmundson

Re: Aussie Belle...

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon May 02, 2011 2:55 pm

Aussie

You're off to a good start. Welcome.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

vettepilot

Postby vettepilot » Mon May 02, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi Aussie....Good to see your on your way....looking forward to following your build...Have you bought your LVL bearers yet? Could you PM me when you do so I can see how they differ in price to normal bearers...Cheers Mate
The Bitterness of Poor Quality, Remains Long After The Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten...Thanks Dad R.I.P.

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Mon May 02, 2011 5:40 pm

I am glad to see you laid out all you frames in full size. This will help you immensely getting them all right. I am convinced that if the time is taken to get the frames right then everything else lines up nicely
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

red

Postby red » Mon May 02, 2011 6:42 pm

welcome and keep on wearing that smile and enjoy every nimute of the build and nothing will aggravate you as you progress through your build to a finished and beautiful boat

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Mon May 02, 2011 7:45 pm

Aussie - I thought I would share a technique I also used. I mounted a rig on my workbench for positioning the floor gussett. The floor gussetts sit on your motor stringers on your building form. If your frames are exact as you are currently building and your floor gussetts are all is the exact same position on the frames then you will have no trouble with setting up your frames exactly on the building form. I simply built up my frames and then laid the floor gusset on top them pushed up to the jig.

5-2-2011 9-43-01 PM.png
Last edited by DaveLott on Mon May 02, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Aussie

Postby Aussie » Mon May 02, 2011 7:58 pm

Dave,

Thanks i like that method... with the Belle the rear first 5 frames dont have floor gussets and mount straight to the stringers but that will be a handy method for the forward frames.....
Any other little secret tips???

Jamie

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Mon May 02, 2011 8:00 pm

Yes, round over your interior edges before you mount everything. You will come to appreciate round edges when you start working on the inside.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Return to “Hankinson designs”