Where to use carriage bolts

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

LThomas

Where to use carriage bolts

Post by LThomas » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:10 am

Starting to build the Barrelback 19. Fastening schedule says 2 ea carriage bolts at each junction of frames. Frame plans don't show them nor are they mentioned. No problem where the frame is a lap joint at the sheer. That gets bonded and bolted. My question is at the chine and keel frame joints where the frame is lapped with ply doublers. do they also get bolted through the ply? or bonded and nailed? Thanks
Lee

jprice

Re: Where to use carriage bolts

Post by jprice » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:18 am

I can't see why you would need carriage bolts for the plywood gussets on the frames. Seems like serious overkill. Screws or nails, and epoxy is more than enough.

The only place where carriage bolts were used on my frames (not a barrelback, btw) was to bolt the frames to the stringers.

Do the blueprints show any details on the bolt locations?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:43 am

The blocks from frame to the motor stringers are attached with carrage bolts on the Tahoe. I'll bet KH did it the same way on the BB.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

galamb

Post by galamb » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:18 pm

Carriage bolts are prominently noted many times in "boatbuilding with plywood" - which also talks about using resorcinol glue (which was never strong enough to use by itself or with (lesser) fasteners that can be used with modern epoxy).

If using epoxy you are probably more than safe skipping the bolts on the frame junctions, but if you will sleep better at night with them there, go for it.

As Bill states, the motor stringers - possibly any "knees" in the transom area and the stem/keel junction (if applicable - really the highest stress places) could still benefit from bolts...
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

falconer100

Post by falconer100 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:28 pm

On my Barrelback plans, bolts are used for the frame blocking to motor stringers (two each way, so four in total on each blocking) and the keel to stem junction (you need three here). I also used bolts for the inner transom to uprights, two each side.

Hope that helps.

Martin.

Return to “Hankinson designs”