Tahoe 23

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Tony Hain

Re: Tahoe 23

Postby Tony Hain » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:03 am

This posting will bring us up to date and as said earlier I wont do anymore till the New Year. Have built up the framework for the false transom, finalised the fairing, cut the limbers for drainage and coated areas that will be hard to get at once planked (Sheeted) with epoxy. Pleased with the shaping work for the false transom and fairly sure the formwork will not get in the way for the exhaust. Have wondered about venting the exhaust out of the rear side. I am not sure what you would call it but I'm positive I've seen it on this site where the exhaust consists of a set of three rear facing scollops in a single casting.
Attachments
P1000209a.jpg
Form work for the false transom
P1000208a.jpg
P1000207a.jpg
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:37 am

Tony

Before you go too far, think about where the exaust comes thru the transom. The horizontal frames may be in the way.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:52 pm

Tony,

Great work to date! Love the look of the well faired open framework. Looking forward to seeing more....

Regards,

Steve Hansen

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:20 pm

Bill
Yes I will double check that transom. I have read that it has caused grief for others. (Not mentioning names. :wink: )
Thanks Steve. I am looking forward to the sheeting. I bought a stapler gun and raptor staples. Even with postage it was cheaper to buy them from Glen-L than here in Australia. So I will have a bit of a play with it doing some test pieces rather than stuff up on the real thing.

One Question. When glueing on the first layer of ply (1/8" layers for the Tahoe) do you try and glue the edges where the strips join. The edges being vertical would cause the glue to run unless you made it really thick. I' m inclined to not glue the butted edges on the first layer and let the second layer do the job for me and fill in any gaps, if any when I flip the hull. But I haven't done this before so I will definitely take more experienced advice on this matter.
Tony Hain

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:33 pm

Tony

I did what you suggested on the first layer edges. I did coat the inside face and edges with plain epoxy before putting the strips on.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:25 pm

I found System 3 Gel Magic (also available thru Glen-l) to be great for lamination, including plank edges. Used the slow hardener to give more working time. The gel really stays put and won't sag even on vertical surfaces. On warmer days, you can add a little silica thickener (either fumed or microballoons) to make sure it behaves properly.

The Raptor fasteners are really the way to go for fastening lams and Glen-l's price is very competitive.

Regards,

Steve

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Thanks Bill and Steve for your advice and Festive Greetings to One and All!
Tony Hain

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:14 am

I am seriously tempted to do a fit-out similar to this Higgins 23 convertable. Very retro and with potental shade and moving around space it would be a better lay out for entertaining with friends. But I dare say I will change my mind 20 times over between now and when I have to make a final decision. What do people think?
Attachments
23-higgins-3j-014-9in[1].jpg
23-higgins-3j-005-9in[1].jpg
23-higgins-3j-006-9in[1].jpg
Tony Hain

Butch Barto

Postby Butch Barto » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:32 am

Hi tony that looks great.Brings back memories of when I was building my TAHOE.I added to mine making her almoast 24'6" .Water is always choppy here in Florida .You are going to love the TAHOE they ride and handle great.The optional spray rail is not an option,I had to go back and add it after a year on the water.Everyone in the boat will get wet every time you come on and off plane with out it.Took me about 3500-4000 hours to build.Nice shop if I had a shop like yours I would have to build a bigger boat.

jenko

Postby jenko » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:16 am

I bought a stapler gun and raptor staples. Even with postage it was cheaper to buy them from Glen-L than here in Australia. So I will have a bit of a play with it doing some test pieces rather than stuff up on the real thing.

Tony, I have found that most of the hardware is cheaper from the states including postage .Not to mention the lack of variety

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:44 am

Tony

A Tahoe utility would be really great to see.

Butch

Lauren told me that she talked to Paula and Innocense's repairs are almost done. Looking forward to the relaunch.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:47 pm

Butch
It was your build that inspired me to go with the Tahoe. I have been following the postings fairly closely and will be having a spray rail from stem to stern. From what various people, yourself included, have said I really lucked on the right design for my needs. We unfortunately don't have the massive lake systems that you guys have. Mostly muddy ponds or dams you aren't allowed in with powercraft. But we do have coastal waters similar to what I imagine Florida to be like. My local boating area is the Great Sandy Straits on the lee side of Fraser Island (Trivia: Largest sand island in the world and World Heritage Listed). The Tahoe should handle these conditions well.
The shop (shed in Aussie lingo: "Every Aussie boy needs a shed") is 40'x30' and still can seem I need more room. We built the shed before we built the house. If we had done it the other way round I would of ended up with a 20'x20'.
Do you have a close up of the side exhausts for your Tahoe. I would be interested to see them.
Bill
Thanks for your reply about the exhaust location. It will be a near thing but should not be an issue if the bootom edge of the port is in the water I gather.
Attachments
IMG_0019.JPG
We call it home!
Tony Hain

Butch Barto

Postby Butch Barto » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:27 am

The exhaust tips We have are made by Corsa Marine and can be orderer from boatstoreonline.com for $750.00 a pair.I saw them on fiberglass production and had a verry hard time finding them .Think they cost me around $600 8 or 9 years ago I got Corsa contact info online called on the phone they sold me a pair.We have been in 4 ft seas with INNOCENCE waves breaking over the bow.Not verry fun we got soaked but the boat did verry well.We almoast have 1'-2' chop in the bay here , she rides great.

jenko

Postby jenko » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:23 am

Have been looking at side exhaust for my riviera best price I can find at the minute with internal flaps http://www.imcomarine.com/cal_store/exh ... flaps.html $406 a pair plus delivery

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:03 pm

Well I've bought some 1/8 ply ready for planking, but have a question about the transom before I start.
The Tahoe has a false transom as well as the structural transom. Should I make cut-aways between the timber formers of the transom, (Like the picture below) or leave the transom ply uncut.

Pros.
.Make it easier if putting ports, vents etc through the transom
.If anything goes wrong with the false transom it will be easier to fix and add extra coats of epoxy

Cons.
.It may make the structural transom not as strong or rigid?

I was probably going to exit the exhaust ports and vents out the side anyway.

Hope to hear your opinions/advise

Tony
Attachments
Transom 2.jpg
Tony Hain

Return to “Hankinson designs”