Tahoe 23

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Butch Barto

Re: Tahoe 23

Postby Butch Barto » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:25 am

Water got inside mine from somewhere.So mine has a 4 1/2 " hole in it now with a aluminum plate on the outside , I can service the rudder and rear bildge pump and clean trash out of the drain plug.Otherwise the rear cocpit and seat would have to be removed , still not easy to get to , the fuel tank is back there resting on the stringers. I think the false transom is a area that water can be traped in and cause wood rot that would be undetectable until it is too late

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:58 am

On my Tahoe 20'-6", I learned from Butch. My transom is stuffed with floatation and I have drain holes to let ant water out.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Thanks Butch and Bill for your advice.
I put in the cut-aways yesterday and will use some of the recesses for floatation.
I know you guys are having some cool weather over there, but here it is really strange. Last week I was out fighting bush fire and this morning I am watching thousands of gallons of water flow past my house. Our river flats are under 5m (15') of water and this only happened overnight.
Go figure?

Tony
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:59 pm

It's been a while. What with fighting bushfires before Christmas, Christmas and helping hose the mud out of people's flooded houses summer has kept me busy. But I'm back in the saddle (or boat) again. Not a big step but a new phase. Started the planking today. Just put on the first planking strip on each side but should speed up from here as I will be working fore and aft on both sides together. Looking forward to having the first layer done.
Tony
Attachments
Untitled-Duplicated-04.jpg
PLANKIN 1024.jpg
Tony Hain

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:02 am

Tony

Be sure to mark where the frames and batten are. You won't be able to see them on the next layer.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:07 pm

A little bit more progress on the first layer of planking on the sides. The strips of 1/8" ply are 6" wide. I'm managing 2 strips on each side a day by the time I rough cut them out, spile them and glue up. That's fine without rushing and dry enough to work on the next day. I'm happy with that.
Attachments
5a.jpg
8a.jpg
9a.jpg
Tony Hain

djgaffa

Postby djgaffa » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:48 am

Hi Tony,

I've just stumbled across this forum, I'm about to start building my own Tahoe 23 in Adelaide. It's great to see another one being built (relativley) locally.

What timber did you use for your frames and battens etc??? I'm going to start looking into what I can get here, but was thinking about using Tassie Oak. (I know it's very easy to get here)

Have you put much thought into the engine you are going to use??? I know many people seem to go for the PCM turn key engines. I haven't got my plans yet (they're coming for my birthday) and wondering if the Tahoe sufferes from the same lack in height in the engine compartment that the Riviera does...

Good luck with your build and I look forward to further updates.

Cheers,

Dave

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:48 am

Hi Dave

I've used hoop pine for frames, battens etc. I believe a few Aussie builders have used Tassie Oak for their frames and that. I used hoop because I could get the pieces I wanted from a local cabinet and joinery works. It was less expensive than Tassie Oak and a bit lighter. I plan on going a 350 turn key motor as I'm not a mechanic nor really want to be, but listening to the rumble of a v8 you wouldn't really want anything else I think.
Just about finished the first layer on the sides and then on to the first layer on the bottom. Will post some pictures of the side planking soon.
Keep a look out for info on the first Glen-L Gathering in Australia. 25 -27 October in Port Macquarie this year. My boat won't be finished but I'll be there.
Tony
Tony Hain

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:44 pm

Butch put a 454 in his Tahoe. I think it was fuel injected. There should be plenty of pictures of his here. Its called Innocence.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

vettepilot

Postby vettepilot » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:51 pm

Doing a great job there Tony... :D :mrgreen:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality, Remains Long After The Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten...Thanks Dad R.I.P.

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks Vettepilot
You're only an hour up the road so if you are ever heading south to Brissie or whatever call in. I'm only 2 minutes off the highway and you would be welcome. BTW Are you going to make the get together in October, Port Macquarie. I'm heading there even without a boat!

Tony
PS As a pilot you might be interested in the guy next door from me is building one of those 80% scale spitfires. Turbo charged V8 with no mufflers. You can hear it from my place when he fires it up.
Tony Hain

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:43 pm

Almost finished first layer of sides. Love the Raptor Staples! Just make life and gluing so much easier, Not sure what I will do on the final layer. Depends what the staples look like after they have been sanded back. I'll worry about that when the time comes.
Tony from Tiaro
Attachments
planking 005a.jpg
planking 006a.jpg
planking 011a.jpg
Tony Hain

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:10 am

Looking very good Tony. Almost like watching a onion being reskinned! :D

Would you mind posting some general observations about the raptor staples, like usage, tips, etc. I'm considering this approach for the plywood skinning of my Vera Cruise (since she will be veered with mahogany as well). Thanks.

I look forward to continued progress on your Tahoe.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

vettepilot

Postby vettepilot » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:10 am

Thanks for the invite Tony...yes have planned to go in October when they finalise date etc...(I need a months notice minimum for work) Love the Tahoe, I am still swinging between it and Riviera....(hard choice)but I have a name picked already lol....Think either of them would look good towed behind 64-66 Thunderbird Convertable...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality, Remains Long After The Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten...Thanks Dad R.I.P.

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:00 pm

Vettepilot
Yes it's funny how you allow you mind to wander. I'm thinking of calling mine "Sweet Mary". I can visualise it across the transom even now. We are close to Maryborough and the Mary River, so I might have it as the Port of Maryborough and if it can do 45-50 MPH as noted (Would seem even faster across water), then "Sweet Mary" mother of God might be heard uttered from my lips.

In regards to the Gathering I have offered to Glen (Trackhappy) to help out with the organisation. So far it will be at the Edgewater Holiday Park in Port Macquarie on the 25, 26 & 27 October. I think it would be a good idea to start a new thread giving everybody the info and link to edgewater site. Need to find out timelines from edgewater re bookings. Probably need to give them an early ballpark numbers and then a date for definate bookings. I will keep a register of those who are coming, contact info etc so we can give the acc. numbers and relay any info to those attending. The programme can be worked out later.

Tony
Tony Hain

Return to “Hankinson designs”