Tahoe 20 - New Zealand Progress

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Dave NZ

Tahoe 20 - New Zealand Progress

Post by Dave NZ » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:56 am

Progress Photos on the Tahoe 20 (stretched 19) down-under.

A question for the forum experts - what is the best way to install the drain bungs (I think they are called Garboards in USA) through the thick transom please? I plan on having 2, one each side of the keel.

We are thinking of making a water-tight bulkhead in the bow through to frame 2 - anyone done this before?

And finally, does anyone have any experience in using the Perko FlushPro system to flush the engine cooling system?

Dave.
Attachments
P1000450.JPG
The false transom - thanks to all the posts on the forum on what we should do here.
P1000444.JPG
The frames dry fitted in place
P1000443.JPG
Some of the hardware - you'll recognise some Glen-L purchases there!

slug

Re: Tahoe 20 - New Zealand Progress

Post by slug » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:42 am

Nice work Dave;
I don't have any experience with your build and maybe I'm way out in left field here and somebody can correct me. Noticing the supports from the building frame to your stringers and suggest you ensure that you are able to get at the temporary screws after the planking is in place. I was lucky enough to notice this on my build before planking and moved some just in time.
Doug

SeaPea

Post by SeaPea » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:34 pm

Coming on nicely Dave!
Craig

SUP
Riviera

Dave NZ

Post by Dave NZ » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:12 am

Thanks Doug, Craig

Good point on the screws, thanks for the tip.

Thanks

Dave.

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:02 am

On the drain plugs I have the same concern on Gentry, and was thinking of having some flush screw threaded bung assemblies made in stainless. I was thinking of a stainless surround set flush into the bottom with a thread up the middle and a recessed portion where the bung screws in and seats an O-Ring. With a screwdriver slot only it wouldn't upset the flow too much under there, and the "bung" would need a good strong anti-dropout mechanism to ensure they aren't lost.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Dave NZ

Post by Dave NZ » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:15 am

Latest photos
Attachments
April 9 - Bow.jpg
April 9 - Bow.jpg (10.34 KiB) Viewed 9464 times
April 9 Tahoe Framed.jpg

Dave NZ

Post by Dave NZ » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:44 pm

Some more photos of progress, got to make a decision on engine type this week.
Attachments
Skin 1-April 16-1.jpg
April 16 - 1st layer-2.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:25 am

Dave

Looks Good.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave NZ

Post by Dave NZ » Sat May 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Progress report:
Hull really coming along now - photo attached.

Realised I'd made a small error in the plumbing I'd bought. Having the metric system in NZ, I'd not factored in the different thread types for inch piping...bought a 1-1/4 inch strainer with NPT thread. The marine engineering company here told me that non-metric (called Imperial here) marine fittings are commonly BSP. Ended up buying a 1-1/4" new strainer, valve, hose tail barb etc from the marine store here, with compatible threads. Not a big deal.

Found a company in New Zealand having an on-line sale selling marine electrical fittings so was able to get most of the switches, nav lights purchased. I discovered that you can now buy automotive fuses with a built in circuit breaker, so have opted to go for a 12 circuit fuse box with negative bus, and can fit these fuses.

Decided this week to go with an Indmar Elite Salt Series engine, 5.7l V8. Has electronic controls, fuel efficiency etc. Will have analogue gauges with LCD panel.
Attachments
May 1 -13 hull2.jpg

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Sun May 05, 2013 4:53 pm

Nice work! Coming along now. Sounds like your engine is very similar to mine, just a different manufacturer. Is it MEFI4 or 5? I have just purchased a really nice set of gauges, custom with Glen-L logo. Expensive but I think will set her off very nicely. :)
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Dave NZ

Post by Dave NZ » Thu May 09, 2013 2:43 am

I checked online and Indmar say the ECM is a Gen 3

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Thu May 09, 2013 11:57 am

Very nice Dave NZ--keep up the great work and we enjoy your photos...

Dave NZ

Post by Dave NZ » Fri May 17, 2013 2:50 pm

Hi another update from NZ.

For the shaft assembly, I bought Easiflow Tube with a Thorndon strut bearing and Kiwi Shaft Seal - see the photo of the shaft and shaft seal. I had to take a deep breath on the cost of the seal though...got the gear from the team at Henley Propellers in Auckland New Zealand. I've seen photos from another company of the rudder using a tube and seal assembly also but I went for Glenwood gear from Gayle.

The hull is ready for glassing. I kept to my original idea and I'm going for white painted hull to water line and then a deep blue pin-stripe and solid deep blue on the sides up to the deck. So you'll see that the sides have not been finished to horizontal mahogany plank finish. The deck will be timber finish. Reason for the painted sides is that with my current fibreglass boat I've realised that you can't avoid scrapes and scratches...given the effort and investment with the Tahoe, I really want to use it knowing that minor scrapes and stuff are easily fixed. I want to minimise maintenance also so with high UV light levels here am keeping wood finish to top-sides.

Next "planning" job is to find someone to build me a bunk trailer - most boats have roller trailers and bunks are not a common design in NZ. If any Kiwis know of a good manufacturer, please let me know.

Cheers
Dave
Attachments
May-17-1.jpg
May 11-13 (12).JPG

SeaPea

Post by SeaPea » Fri May 17, 2013 9:07 pm

You're not mucking around there Dave! That's moving along and looking good!
Craig

SUP
Riviera

Dave NZ

Post by Dave NZ » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi everyone, just wanting to check about the location of the steering wheel.
Engine builder has said the prop shaft will rotate anti clockwise looking from stern after gearbox.

If I read the instructions right, does that mean steering goes on left side?

Dave

Return to “Hankinson designs”