Tahoe 20 - New Zealand Progress

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

mrintense

Re: Tahoe 20 - New Zealand Progress

Postby mrintense » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:39 am

Some really gorgeous scenery down there Dave. Your Tahoe looks right at home on that lake. As the others have said, very very nice work and I am sure that you are thoroughly enjoying the fruits of your labor. Well done!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Dave NZ

Postby Dave NZ » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:39 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies and encouragement, it's been a blast doing the boat and now using it...need to be thinking about what's next, as well as enjoying it of course.

Here's another photo, about the only thing I'd change are the vents on the sides, look fantastic, but you need to be very careful getting boat on and off trailer.

If I was doing it again I'd put another vent on top of the gunnel instead of the sides I think? Anyway, great fun. Needs a reasonably powerful truck to tow it by the way. The Ford Ranger 3.2litre diesel pickup/ute was great.

All the best
Dave
Attachments
image.jpg

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:46 pm

Really stunning, Dave. Congratulations!
Gayle Brantuk
Vice President
Glen-L Marine
Visit our Blog & Create Your Own!

Dave NZ

Postby Dave NZ » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:22 am

Thanks Gayle, and thanks to the forum members for the great feedback. My wife said she is not sure what I'm enjoying more,...the boat or the launching ramp conversations with people also admiring the Tahoe! The V8 rumble also helps I think ! :)

Here's a photo showing the detail of the trailer. I've used the swing out extension drawbar for gentle sloping ramps and it works well for us.
Attachments
image.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:57 am

Displacement Calculation for 20'-5" Tahoe

Compute Area:

Area = (Beam(a+4b+2c+4d+2e+2f)/15

Area AA:
Beam= 52
a= 0 b= 4 c= 7.5 d= 14 e= 23.5 f= 28

AA= 658.6666667

Area A:
Beam= 69
a= 0 b= 8.5 c= 23.75 d= 26.25 e= 31.5 f= 35.5

A= 1474.3

Area B:
Beam= 75
a= 3 b= 25 c= 26.25 d= 28.25 e= 30.5 f= 32.75

B= 1975

Area C:
Beam= 65
a= 24 b= 25 c= 26 d= 27 e= 28 f= 29

C= 1724.666667

Area D:
Beam= 55
a= 21.5 b= 22.25 c= 22.75 d= 23.5 e= 24 f= 25

D= 1276

Cubic Capacity:
Length= 240

Cubic Capacity of Hull =(l*(16AA+13A+27B+27C+9D)/174,600

Cubic Capacity= 193.923803

Static Displacement:

Displacement=Cubic Capacity*62.4

Displacement = 12101 pounds

Federal Law 183.33

Max. Disp.= 12101 pounds Boat Wt.= 1500 pounds Mach. Wt.= 800 pounds
Greater Of:
W=Max. Disp/5 - boat wt/5 - 4*mach wt/5 W= 1960.
or
W=(Max. Disp. - Boat Wt.)/7 W= 1514.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Mickey

Postby Mickey » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:24 pm

Did you work out all the details to convert to a utility layout on your own or did you get some modified plans from Glen-L?

Dave NZ

Postby Dave NZ » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:55 am

Hi Mickey

We did our own approach to making the utility layout.

If I remember right, and not 100% on this, one of the Hankinson mahogany designs has a utility design and one of the Glen-L mahogany designs comes with utility option, suggest you contact Gayle to be sure.
Dave

Dave NZ

Postby Dave NZ » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:08 pm

Time for an update!

Just installed the new prop, an ACME 541, 13x12 cupped - huge improvement and boat attitude better with bow down quite a bit, looks really awesome when planing.The transom lettering is computer cut vinyl- I don't think you can tell the difference and I think its more durable.

I'll have to get the GPS out but speedo was showing just under 50mph when it maxed out at 4200rpm on the limiter. Heaps of acceleration.

Thought you might be interested in what I did instead of a stainless cutwater I used the Keelguard and with the white hull I'm pleased with the result.
I have a bow cover which you can see at the left of the picture which came loose and flapped around damaging a 2"x2" paint area both sides....a weekend fixit job.

Other photo is of boat and trailer at the lake after the new prop went on. It has the extension drawbar closed but I opened it out to get the boat out.One of these days I need to work out how to lower the boat on the trailer to make launching easier. Over the winter I've also added two more speakers up front, shifted the radio position to the side of the front passenger seat, the engine agent upgraded the throttle controller,and I added a safety lanyard cutout.

The Tahoe hull is just amazing.
Attachments
New Prop Sept 15.jpg
P1070221.JPG
Boat & Trailer Sep 2015.jpg

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:35 pm

Still looks wonderful Dave!

I read posts like your about prop changes and surprised at how much difference a prop change can make. I'd like to see what you come up with for lowering the boat on the trailer for easier launches. Please keep us posted.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Dave NZ

Postby Dave NZ » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:38 am

Just had four days boating on a beautiful lake in New Zealand with family and friends. As I think you can never have enough photos of the Tahoe design, here are two more!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:27 pm

I never get tired of seeing it. Beautiful boat, thanks for posting the pics.

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:37 pm

I LOVE the color scheme. It's exactly what I intend to do on my Overniter. White interior, bright deck, blue topsides. Absolutely gorgeous.

Dave NZ

Postby Dave NZ » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:44 am

Hi everyone, does anyone have any experience with Johnson pump impellors on V8 marine cooling systems please. I have seen after market impellers which look similar to the OEM one, except the Johnson OEM version for my 350 Indmar has a notch out of the rubber each end, could this be to reduce pressure? Are the impellers without this notch ok? The vanes are slightly different also.

I've finally got my boat going after a few months of minor coolant leaks and follow-on issues - on the closed circuit plumbing, the nylon 90 degree bends threaded to the risers were weeping after I replaced the antifreeze and needed new thread seal - a really tricky job as the hoses are so short. I also learnt about bleeding the closed cooling system in the Indmar setup - its easy, there are two valves built into the brass bends in the circuit each side going into the exhausts.

I had an engine auto shutdown this week after 35 - 40mph runs, we think because the garden hose fitting had been left in the Perko flush unit after it was at the service centre getting the leaks fixed. We think air was being sucked into the raw water cooling system and the temperature increased. I found a service agent who hooked up his diagnostic gear, checked no damage and reset the alerts. The diagnostic said that the fuel was getting too lean evidently due to the temperature rise. Engine operating temp now is sitting at 158 - 160F. All these are pretty small issues, but could have been worse- I'm pleased to have all the diagnostic kit on my engine. Ironically summer is not a good time to need repairs as the mechanics are either on vacation themselves or really busy with other repairs! I was surprised that 53% of the engine hours are at 600rpm and below...I guess that's because of water skiing use.

Had an enjoyable day today, people admiring my boat, one guy congratulated me on the quality of the restoration! He was even more impressed it was near new! :D

jenko

Postby jenko » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:31 pm

Dave I also am being constantly told it is a nice restoration :lol:
I would suspect you have a fuel delivery issue as the fuel injection systems will start to run the engine richer in an overheat situation to avoid detonation.(that is how most automotive systems are programed and how I programed mine)
and possibly the leaner mixture could have been the cause of the temperature rise. given it happened after 35 40 mph runs, may be worth doing flow check on fuel at operating pressure .

Dave NZ

Postby Dave NZ » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:29 pm

Thanks for the info Jenko - with the fuel ideas I went and researched the ECM - all this is new for me. I looked up the error code for both banks (Short-Term Fuel Trim - FMI 0 - High Limit). Doesn't seem that temperature was an issue which I was originally concerned about. Variable fuel quality is a possibility evidently. It also mentions an exhaust leak providing too high an amount of oxygen. Maybe....the entrained air when going out into the exhaust via the cooling water set it off, because with the Perko closed tight, the engine worked really well yesterday. There weren't any other error codes when the diagnostic was done, including no cooling water alerts.

Do you have any ideas about the impellor question?

Dave.

Return to “Hankinson designs”