Tahoe 20 - New Zealand Progress

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Dave NZ

Re: Tahoe 20 - New Zealand Progress

Post by Dave NZ » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:38 am

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated.

I'll try and get 2 batteries under the rear seat.

Here's a view of the of the forward vents for the engine blowers, and one of the transom mahogany with some sealer on...
Attachments
October 22 - Mahogany (5).JPG
October 29-Mahogany Paint.jpg

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:04 am

I really like the way your Tahoe is coming together Dave. I think the transom is going to be a really nice accent to the painted finish. Great work so far.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Dave NZ

Post by Dave NZ » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:35 am

Progress update on the Tahoe and trailer!!

We have a boat spray painting expert to do the painting, doing a great job. Some more coats to do on the mahogany, then the blue sides, hopefully next week. These photos are in-between coats after wet and dry sanding.

Trailer coming along nicely. Note the curved channel section for looks and less welding.

Worked out where to place the two batteries, (under rear seat works, thanks Bill), circuit breakers and battery voltage relay / switch, and got all the battery cables cut and lugs crimped on. Was easier and more economic to get them put on by an auto electrician as my crimp tool was too small for the job. Found some pop-up fender cleats online which are on their way from the USA.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

El Jefe

Post by El Jefe » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:16 pm

Nice! :D

Rick

Dave NZ

Post by Dave NZ » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:55 am

Progress update, decks painted, trailer coming on, and internal linings in place.
Should be doing electrics in a couple of weeks.
Attachments
November 18 (6).JPG
November 18 (3).JPG
November 18 (1).JPG

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:58 pm

Awesome Dave--looks great so far!

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:49 pm

Cool picture of the interior. I'm assuming those metal structures are battery hold downs. I have never actually looked at a marine deep cell battery before and didn't realize they are considerably bigger than automobile batteries.

The boat is looking great Dave. Can't wait to see her painted.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Dave NZ

Post by Dave NZ » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:07 am

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

There is a bit of dust on the battery cases in the photo so they look like metal but... are actually just plastic. The batteries will be marine starting batteries, one for engine, other for radio, lights etc. I think the photo angle is showing the mounts/cases bigger scale.

It was expensive but I think worth it to have a professional do the mahogany varnishing...9 coats later...we have very strong ultra violet light downunder so wanted a decent paint job. The hull sides will get a black topcoat and then the dark blue final coats. The painter said he had to do this as the white hibuild would show through evidently and need lots of blue coats.

Am trying to source rubbing strip that don't cost a lot (we have to import from Australia to get the real d shape). Won't be a d shape but budget is tight....
Attachments
November 21.jpg
November 21-2.jpg

slug

Post by slug » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:29 am

Dave; I'm planning on playing around with forming my own aluminum rubrail out of 1/8" flatbar. Haven't tried it yet but think I can form a slight concave roll with a 10' brake ( not a hand brake but a heavy duty hydraaulic unit) then put it upside down thru the planer to flatten the backside. Then sand and polish. Possibly weld together to get the 18' I need.
As I said I have yet to try it.

Doug

jprice

Post by jprice » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:06 am

Really like the way you've done the open layout on this tahoe, very nice.
Can't wait to see the final paint. Should look sharp! :D

Joris

Post by Joris » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:30 am

slug wrote:Dave; I'm planning on playing around with forming my own aluminum rubrail out of 1/8" flatbar. Haven't tried it yet but think I can form a slight concave roll with a 10' brake ( not a hand brake but a heavy duty hydraaulic unit) then put it upside down thru the planer to flatten the backside. Then sand and polish. Possibly weld together to get the 18' I need.
As I said I have yet to try it.

Doug

Doug,
I dont know which tools you have or what your experience in forming metal is but i think it will be hard to get an even surface and planing such lengths will be complicated.
If you have someone that sells alloy stock you could take a 1" pipe with thick wall and fix it in the open side of a 3/4" U-bar. Then cut the alloy pipe along the edges of the U-bar with a 1mm cutting discs. It will be pretty straight and the backside can easily be sanded smooth with a beltsander. The topside might be large enough to give you 2 more pieces.
Just an idea,
Joris

Joris

Post by Joris » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:31 am

BTW, Dave,
Nice work! :wink:

Dave NZ

Post by Dave NZ » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:40 pm

Hi Doug, re the rubrail, the "hope it'll look OK when I really would like a D shape" option we are thinking to go for is 3mm or 1/8" flat stainless with slightly rounded edges, probably 3/4" wide. Can't get the flat bar much thinner as we need to countersink the screws so need some metal depth to do that.

I owe a big thanks to another Tahoe builder, John, who gave me the idea for the interior side lining, including putting black carpet on floor and the first board up from the floor which is the same height as the seat uprights, like a kickboard. This is contrasted by the mahogany trim and white upholstery seats and engine cover.

jenko

Post by jenko » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:23 pm

Dave you could use a router to cut the 'D' using a round over bit and plenty of wd 40 drill your counter sunk holes first and screw it to the bench using the bench edge to run the bearing along

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:13 am

Dave,

Beautiful build, and thanks for posting pictures! I have plans for a 23' Tahoe on the way, and your ideas in the layout of the cockpit are very similar to what my ideas have been!!!

Keep posting pics, and I hope you don't mind my picking your brain in the future. Beautiful boat!

Brad

Return to “Hankinson designs”