Mid year Titan progress

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Bill Edmundson

Re: Mid year Titan progress

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:39 pm

Beautiful!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:30 am

Sorry I have not run across this build thread sooner. It's a really beautiful sight to see a boat lying perfectly on her lines. I'm in total agreement regarding the quality of the Glen L designs... across the board they seem to have the performance and looks that set them above the others, whether production or homebuilt.

Congrats on a fabulous effort!

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Cool Runnings

Post by Cool Runnings » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:07 pm

Thanks Steve-Considering this is where we were in July 2011 after purchasing from Carlos, we have come a long way.

I have had all the 'snoops' in the harbour looking at her, mostly in approval and the 'knockers' when on board could not believe how balanced and stiff it is. It certainly cuts through the water beautifully and very little wake apparent from over the stern.

The GPS was not working during sea trials, but I think the designed hull speed of around 6.0-6.5 knots is achievable.

As you say, good designs from this company that just work well.

Cheers CR.

Port side internal showing ribs and stiffeners.jpg

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:28 pm

Beautiful!! Very nice work. Definitely looks in her element in the water. Congratulations! :D :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Cool Runnings

Post by Cool Runnings » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:34 am

Thanks Carl-As with any build, there can be a lot of head scratching along the way.

Sometimes you just have to walk away and do something else for a while and then it seems to come together again. The satisfaction of actually having it in the water and everything working properly, well I'm still smiling a week later.

The one thing that really surprised was the amount of filling/sanding required on this one. Being aluminium, there can be a fair amount of plate buckling between stations. This is not overly apparent until profiling begins. Saves on gym fees working that 'torture board' .

Your build is an interesting one-Good looking lines on the hull and cabin. Looks like headroom in the garage is at a premium as well.
I found if you bang your head often enough it can stimulate amazing thought processes!

All the best.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:07 am

Cool Runnings wrote: The one thing that really surprised was the amount of filling/sanding required on this one. Being aluminium, there can be a fair amount of plate buckling between stations. This is not overly apparent until profiling begins. Saves on gym fees working that 'torture board' .

Your build is an interesting one-Good looking lines on the hull and cabin. Looks like headroom in the garage is at a premium as well.
I found if you bang your head often enough it can stimulate amazing thought processes!
I wondered about the buckling on the metal boats. As an ex aircraft mechanic, adding aluminum skin to the aircraft was always an exercise in patience because the surface needs to be so smooth. Add welding to the mix and I can imagine the distortions you were having to deal with.

Thanks for the compliment on my build. It is tight at times, especially near the front of the boat (back of the garage). I am still not sure yet if I can build the cabin in the garage because of the low garage door header, however we are planning a move sometime in the next year and my hope is to have a building on property to store and work on the boat.

Enjoy your new boat. :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Cool Runnings

Post by Cool Runnings » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:32 am

On Mooring.jpg
Hi all-I have had some good sea trials with the Titan now and practicing whenever possible, docking technique.
When going astern and with the R/H throw of the prop, she is predictable to read the 'prop walk'.
Coming alongside a dock or jetty to Port ,works well and I usually do this single handed without too much fuss.
I just amble in at a slight angle and with a blip on the throttle in astern, tucks the port quarter back in nicely.

There is however,considerable windage on this vessel .When beam on in a couple of instances of wind strength above 25 knots, she will heel and the keel takes over making her want to sail forward. I did overshoot my mooring on one occasion.

Punching into the waves she is happy and relatively dry, but really loves surfing the waves and tracks beautifully. Just a small amount of opposite lock applied on the steering and enjoy the ride!

Regards,C.R.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:52 am

CR
She's really nice!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Hankinson designs”