Tahoe 23 Georgia build

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Brad Tucker

Tahoe 23 Georgia build

Post by Brad Tucker » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:54 pm

Well, I'm out of the gate and running with my Tahoe 23 build! I'm about 40 hours into it now, and have the frames, floor timbers, and gussets cut, except for the deck beams which are making me scratch my head a little. I hope no one minds me starting a thread like some others have done documenting the build.

If anyone in the GA area is looking for mahogany, check out Suwanee Lumber Co in Suwanee, GA above Atlanta. They pretty much have everything except 1/8" Okoume ply, and I'm looking for my best options right now. I may have to get it shipped from World Panel, unless I source some closer to home.

After looking around, Glen-L seemed to have the best prices on bronze fasteners, so I got the Tahoe23 fastener kit from them.
1475969_10202120208801145_856595989_n.jpg
Frame parts and motor stringer parts.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Tahoe 23 Georgia build

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:10 pm

The fastener kits are great. They do seem to come up short in the end. But, would you rather have to order odds and ends or feel like they sold you a bunch of stuff you didn't need?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:38 pm

You might find this handy https://www.facebook.com/notes/home-mad ... 4574139228

* Abbeville - Clements Hardwood Lumber, Hwy 280 West, PO Box 325, 31001, 912/467 2313 - L

* Dallas - DeSilva Boats, 335 E Foster Ave, 30132 404/445 1821 - PW, L

* Lawrenceville - Cofer/Adams Lumber Supply, 175 Buford Dr, 30046 , 770-995 3900 - L, Marine PW

* Peachtree City - Aircraft Spruce, 452 Dividend Dr, 30269, 770-487 2310 - L (spruce), Mar PW (Okoume)

* Smyrna - Atlanta Hardwood Center, 5322 S Cobb Dr, 30080 404/799 8308 - L

* Thomasville - Metcalf Lumber Co, Rt 4, Box 241, 31792, 912/228 1720 - L (Yellow pine)

* Wadley - Battle Lumber, PO Box 1147, 30477, 912/252 5210 - L

This last one is in Ohio but they ship and the more you get the cheaper the shipping

* Vickery - Homestead Hardwoods, 6910 County Rd 249, 43464 419/684 9582 - PW, L, V (will cut)
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Welcome to the club Brad. Love seeing these bigger boats being built. And please do get this thread going and keep us posted. A very poorly kept secret here is that we all keep each other going during those inevitable times when you don't feel like or can't work on your boat. One thing we all love seeing is pictures. And don't worry if your pictures are similar to other's . We love all these boats and love seeing progress.

Forgot to mention: abother great thing about Glen L is that they offer the fasteners in smaller quantities if that's all you need. No need to buy a thousand when all you need is 10. Buy a bag of 25 and keep the extra's around for te next boat. :wink:
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:45 am

Thanks, Rod. I have been checking out the places with websites first, and plan on moving to the phone next. Suwanee LC gave me a phone number to a place in Buford called Marine Woodworks as well. When I get to the point where I will order Okoume, I will let you know if they have it and they could be added to the list.

I have been wanting to build a powerboat for years now, and I'll admit that I've been lurking around here for quite a while! I expect this will be a multi year project, based on availability of funds. After a run of several acoustic guitars and a couple of stripper kayaks, the shop has been quiet. It's great to be making sawdust again!

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:27 am

:lol: I know long term project as some others do I have 5 years on mine and have not even put the building form together
:roll: :( :cry:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

fleftwich

Post by fleftwich » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:18 am

Hello Gentlemen: I read your string and appreciate the understanding and encouragement in building our big boats. I am building the 21ft Rivera and am ready to layer the Mahogany strips onto the layers of cold molded 1/8" plywood. Where do I start and what is the process? I have researched this online and it's all about guys planking sailboats at best. My Mahogany is 3/16 thick and 4" wide and I also have some 2" wide for the more curvy areas. How and where do I lay the first plank for the sides and the bottom? Thanks, Frank

jeffh

Post by jeffh » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:06 am

Good luck to you Brad. Keep the updates coming. BTW, I am very close to Suwanee and have bought lumber from them before. I have some plans around here for another boat, but I don't know if I'll ever get to it. What lakes are you near?
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

Two J's

Post by Two J's » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Glad to see you are on your way Brad. I'm well along on my Belle Isle in Augusta so its nice to know someone else is building a big hull. I ordered my plywood from World Panel and had a good experience. They were the least expensive around (you can dicker with them a little) and the freight from NC to Augusta was only about $125.00. Also The Woodyard in Griffiin, GA is also great to deal with . Rick Woods has provided all the Mahogany for my project and is very easy to deal with. Hope this helps. BTW where are you in GA.

Jim

Bob Perkins

Post by Bob Perkins » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:21 am

fleftwich wrote:Hello Gentlemen: I read your string and appreciate the understanding and encouragement in building our big boats. I am building the 21ft Rivera and am ready to layer the Mahogany strips onto the layers of cold molded 1/8" plywood. Where do I start and what is the process? I have researched this online and it's all about guys planking sailboats at best. My Mahogany is 3/16 thick and 4" wide and I also have some 2" wide for the more curvy areas. How and where do I lay the first plank for the sides and the bottom? Thanks, Frank
Hi - Not sure if my site will help you.
I started at the bow for a few planks, then the chine on the sides.
https://biscayne22.shutterfly.com/1038

Maybe you can follow the building sequence here.
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

slug

Post by slug » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:51 am

Frank; Here is the process as I see it.
Measure along the side of the hull and set up vertical lines say every 15".
Then, at each line divide the line in to say 5 equal divisions. Do this all along the hull.
The number of divisions will be dictaded by the available width of planking.
You may have to fudge a little as you cross the joint at the chine near the bow.
Now you have a series of strips that look like planks along the side of the hull.
These "planks" will appear straight when looking from the side of the boat in the water, but in fact the planks will be curved when laid FLAT on the shop floor.
Next step is to make your veneer fit these lines.
Some use cheap patterns for this procedure and do final fitting by block plane.
The method I intend to try was explained to me by Dwight Boyd from Clarion Boats in Campbellford ON. ( check out their website )
I will be starting this later on this week and will post pictures of the process as I get going.
Doug

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:02 am

Depends on the look you want. What has been described is for the classic planks parallel to the waterline, spiling. That's great. I had 2" planks. I let them take their natural sweep up at the bow. Kind of Viking style.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:17 pm

Jim, I'm an hour west of Augusta. I actually work in Augusta, as a flight paramedic at Doctor's Hospital. Glad to see a couple other GA boys working on nice boats!

Jeff, I live close to Clark Hill Lake; about 20 minutes from home. I'm in Wilkes County.

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:46 pm

I've got the stringers notched, and am in the process of notching out the frames for the keel/chine/sheer this week. I did have one really big head scratching moment concerning the deck camber boards, but figured it out after cutting out a full size pattern for the arch, instead of a half pattern with a flat bottom and arched top. I was putting the "zero point" on the pattern on the sheer, with the flat part of the pattern at the sheer height. Kind of hard to explain, but doing it that way changed the center line of the pattern for each frame. I caught the mistake when I was doing some double checking of the angle for the top of the side frame. After cutting a full size pattern, and laying it out on the plans, there was an obvious discrepancy, which was most noticeable on the bow and stern frame tops. It was much more subtle on the amidships frames.

One thing I can say is that I decided to use some scrap plastic sheets 1/16" thick to cut patterns for my frame sides, bottoms, and camber board. They have proved invaluable, and would recommend them for anyone building. It's also a lot cheaper to screw up cheap pattern stock than it is to screw up mahogany!

bob smith

Post by bob smith » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:16 am

Check these guys out for Mahogany or other exotic wood.
http://www.asihardwood.com/
They are located in Ware Shoals, SC (South of Greenville).
The supplied the African Mahogany for my planking, resawed it to my spec's and were very reasonable. They have a huge stock of exotic lumber onsite and are very easy to work with.
Bob Smith
Chester, SC
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

Return to “Hankinson designs”