Tahoe 23 Georgia build

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

TomB

Re: Tahoe 23 Georgia build

Postby TomB » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:24 pm

I once referred to my spouse as the rear admiral. Then I didn't see her for two weeks...and then just a little out of one eye as the swelling started to go down. :shock:

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:25 pm

TomB wrote:I once referred to my spouse as the rear admiral. Then I didn't see her for two weeks...and then just a little out of one eye as the swelling started to go down. :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:51 am

Congratulations on the launch. She looks and sounds great!

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:51 am

So, it has Been a year since launching. I have had a whole summer to enjoy the fruits of my labor. I must say that I love this boat. The ride is very smooth, even on whitecapping lake chop. 20-25 mph seems to be the magic speed, but will do 42 @ 4200 using a stock, mid 90's carburetor engine (240 hp rated) and 1:1 tranny with a 13x13 Acme prop.

People often ask what I'd do different. So here is a short list.

1) I'd turn it into a pickup truck. I'd build a doghouse around the motor, and open it up. The rear Admiral and I discussed this (I can't remember who started calling their wife the Rear Admiral but I HAD to steal it!), and we decided that the boat as is was the way to go, because of the awesome look. That is fine, but you sure gain a lot of friends making your own boat, and seating is limited for a 23' boat. Yes, we did delete the rear cockpit. But we didn't feel it fit our lifestyle. Another drawback is that you have to walk across the deck to get to the swim deck. No big deal, until you go down, which we both have! Dry feet are a must!

2) No fiberglass cloth above the waterline. I have foggy areas from the layup even though I did my best. The only fix is to sand it all back down, which I'm not going to do. The deck doesn't have it, and came out GREAT. The Tahoe has tumblehome past amidships and the canted transom. Glassing it with cloth is a pain when upside down.

3) Trailer: don't use the uprights. They will eat your hull. I already have war wounds on the port side because of trying to load with 20 knot quartering tailwinds. Not too noticeable to others but definitely to me. Hats off to Interlux for their 2 part varnish!

4) Spray rails are a MUST. I didn't run without them because I took Bill and Butch's advice. Glad I did.

mickfly

Postby mickfly » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:17 pm

First...awesome looking boat in every way!

I'm having some buyer's remorse on the glassing too...and I just finished my glassing a few weeks ago. I had a few hazy spots and ground them down. After recoating, it looks...okay. I'm about to apply varnish, but not thrilled with the overall look. I know I'll like the extra durability down the road...and from a respectable distance she will look fantastic, but I'll know where all the little blemishes are... Oh well, can't unring a bell...I made a tough choice and have to live with it.

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:26 pm

Just don't tell anyone and let them find it. As builders, we know every flaw. That doesn't mean we need to point them out! I did here only because I want to let fellow builders know. I want to leave more info than I took.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:49 pm

Sounds like it's time for you to build another boat, Brad.

What happened to you at the Gathering this year; I was really looking forward to meeting you and seeing your boat. BTW, there seemed to be quite a few aspiring Tahoe builders there.

TomB

Postby TomB » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:57 pm

Thanks for the update Brad, as someone loosely following in your wake, I appreciate your insights.

I am not too excited about the "mother in law" seat either. I thought about an open utility, putting the helm back there with a really long fore deck, a sun deck, and at least a couple of other really really weak ideas. I'll figure it out after the flip.

What are your thoughts on the optional keel? Are you happy with the performance of the Dek King sole? Do you carry enough gas?

Tom

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:05 pm

Man, it's been a huge set of issues. Truck wasn't running right. Dad needed support because he got cancer. My own house needs work. The list goes on. Hopefully I will make next year. I'm glad Butch was there with Innocence, along with Bill and Lola because they were my inspiration! I've been trying for 4 years, and got shot down every year. Hopefully next year. I truly do want to meet and hang out with y'all.

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:16 pm

Tom, with 2 18 gallon tanks, and after yesterday's run, I carry plenty of gas. I did not add in the deep keel option and she performs great. She slows greatly in tight turns, and may cavitate on hard acceleration out of a turn. But I did not expect her to be a race boat so I am good with that. As a cruiser, banging along at 20-35 she is a sweet dream. Want to go to 42? She can do that too. With my set up, at least.

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:17 pm

And the Dek-King is GREAT.

TomB

Postby TomB » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:35 pm

Thanks Brad,

Bill wrote somewhere that he wished he had waited on the keel, your comment seals the deal, I will leave it off.

Thanks again,

Tom

Return to “Hankinson designs”