Tahoe 23 Georgia build

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

mrintense

Re: Tahoe 23 Georgia build

Post by mrintense »

Sorry about hijacking this thread for this, but Bob Smith, can you you give us an update on your half and half build?
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

bob smith

Post by bob smith »

Glad you asked because I need to take and post some pictures.
I've completed the hull and topside and applied 4 coats of epoxy. When it gets warmer I'll complete the finish with many coats of Epifanes. I did finish the dash so I could mount the windshield (Mucho Thanks to Dave Lott!!!). It required some modification so I wanted to get it done. Right now I'm wiring the instrument panel, blowers, bilge pump, nav. lights. The remaining biggies are SEATS, and final finishing. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them in power boats (the Epiphany).
Thanks for your interest.
Bob Smith
Chester, SC
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

Bob, thanks for that information. I'm up around G'ville and Spartanburg often enough to possibly use them as a lumber source.

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

Stem laminated and dry fit. All the frames are dry fit as well right now, but it is starting to look like a boat.
Attachments
1534353_10202200156559789_642711370_n.jpg

Two J's

Post by Two J's »

Brad I live right around the corner from Doctors Hospital. Stop in sometime on your way home. BTW I have a friend, Brandon Stites, who is a pilot for the life copter that I think services Doctors. Perhaps you know him.
Jim

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

Indeed I do! We work on the same bird! I will have to stop by one day.

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

Well, I spent the better part of two days building the inner transom and locating it properly. That was fun. :shock: Sanded all the frames and motor stringers. I guess I will coat them with epoxy next.

Thanks to Bill Edmunson for posting pictures of your build, along with a few notes. I was extra careful when figuring where the transom would sit, and I think I got it right. Had I not looked at your pics and notes, I may very well have set it too low.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Brad

I've had more than a few miracle recoveries. If the pictures save others from my mistakes it was worthwhile.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

Sheers, chines, and keel attached, and I had only one sheer explode during the process! I noticed, though, that I have underestimated the amount of beer required for a boat build... :?
Attachments
IMG_20140104_121930_324.jpg
IMG_20140104_121842_133.jpg
IMG_20131231_120420_575.jpg

John56

Post by John56 »

Looking good!! I need to drive up your way and check it out.

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

Bring WOOD! :lol:

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

Pretty much every clamp in the shop in use! A note: The plans say to let the chine take a natural curvature in the forward section. I decided to let that natural curvature begin from frame 8. Unfortunately, the curve worked out to be a little too close to the sheer at frame 9. The result is that I don't have enough chine in that section to attach the bottom. So what you see in the picture is my first hopefully miracle recovery. I'm having to add in wood that can be faired. OOPS....... I should have caught it visually, but didn't. I guess my mind's eye needs glasses...... What I did was to add in a backer that is 1/2" thick, and an inch wider than the chine, then fill out to the chine with a layer on the exposed backing. Hopefully this will do the trick.

I've faired a good part of the stem, most of the bottom, and the keel. My power plane is now a prized tool!
Attachments
IMG_20140117_102920_839.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Brad

I had to do the same thing on the chine of the Bartender that I'm working on now.

I see you are making good use of the weight room! :lol: The same workout I do. :wink: :roll:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

Those weights are perfect for holding things down, and using with a batten to draw fair curves. Not sure what else they are good for......... :roll:

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

Nothing to show, but another day of fairing the chine/sheer/frames. Wow. Thank goodness for a power planer, belt sander and spoke shave.......................................to be continued...........

Return to “Hankinson designs”