Tahoe 23 Georgia build

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

jprice

Re: Tahoe 23 Georgia build

Post by jprice »

Brad Tucker wrote:Those weights are perfect for holding things down, and using with a batten to draw fair curves. Not sure what else they are good for......... :roll:
I see I'm not the only one that finally found a good use for all those weights in the basement! ;)

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

I've been working steadily! After playing in the snow for a little while this morning, I glued in the 4 cross pieces on the false transom. I moved one after seeing some posts about it being in the way of the exhausts. I'm planning on side exhausts, but I want to have the option of rear ones just in case something changes. I notched the ends of the middle two cross pieces, and drilled holes midway to drain any water that might find its way in. Bottom and side battens in and rough faired.
Attachments
IMG_20140213_131650_985.jpg
IMG_20140213_131642_468.jpg
gluing in the false transom cross pieces
gluing in the false transom cross pieces

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Brad

Looks great! Glad you learned from my mistakes on the transom. Leave some drain holes in case water gets between the transom and false transom.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

Bill, I really appreciate your pictures and details of your build. They have been a big help to me, along with some others who have posted their Tahoe builds. I did put drain holes in the middle two cross members. One in the middle, and one on each end so any water that makes it in should have a way down to the bottom.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Brad

Some how water can get there. It happened to Butch Barto. He noticed some unexplained dampness. When he drilled a hole, water poured out. He warned me.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Bob Perkins

Post by Bob Perkins »

I also drilled "air holes" across the transom cross pieces.
My thought was if the boat was out baking in the sun, the enclosed air chambers in there could heat up and do something undesirable.
Not sure if that is true or not.. But I've never had an issue..
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

I guess this would be a good time to ask what other issues should I be aware of. You guys who have built are a treasure trove of info!

Today, I built up the transom cross members on the low side of the hull, and cut limbers. One thing I decided to do from frame 8-10 was to cut the limbers into the frames and not the bottom battens. The reason I did it this way was that I didn't want one to explode due to the bend in them. I used a router and a core box bit. I added a little depth to the ones through the frames next to the keel in the rear half of the boat. I can already tell that fairing the rear of the boat at the transom is going to be an adventure. Thank goodness for a power planer, because it is going to prove invaluable for the task!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I did not put limbers at the front or rear of the engine box. So, I have 3 pumps. Most of the water is from stuffing boxes and it is picked up by the rear pump. I do have holes in the frames so that if a pump fail, or is overwhelmed, water can cascade to the next pump. I didn't put limbers in my battens either.

That is a lot of wood to take off at the transom bottom.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

I've already started personalizing the boat. I plan on adding a swim platform, and decided to add inset transom steps. I'm hoping the lowest step will be about an inch higher than the platform, and the second step will be added into dados that will be in the trim piece for the footwell. That's the plan, anyway. The picture shows the rough in step, and the finish step will be added on top of it, extending out beyond the transom enough to get your foot on it.
Attachments
Roughing in for 2 steps
Roughing in for 2 steps
IMG_20140220_132914_166.jpg

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

Things are slowing down, as expected. Not much new to report. Today I encapsulated all areas that will be hard to get to after the hull planking is on. The underside of the motor stringer, several battens, stem area, limbers, etc. I am currently at around 334 hours. I still have some fairing to do on one side, at the trasom/side junction, which I noticed today as well. I'm keeping a log book/diary, but I thought I'd kind of keep one here as well. Today, I got to looking at where to put the drain holes and conduit for the wiring and steering. I also got to wondering how I'm going to figure out where to put the rudder and the strut. With a forward leaning transom, I'm guessing that I will have to get those parts in order to figure out where everything will go.

I have also decided to go with a combination of traditional and modern looks. Instead of the triple cockpit, I want something that is going to be user friendly to my wife and me. I think that forward of the windshield, it will be traditional, with the cambered deck. Aft, I plan on having a recessed sun deck, a driver and passenger seat, and seating behind that to be decided on later. Perhaps just a bench seat, or maybe a U shaped seating area. I think I've got some room to play with.

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

I finally made it to the hull layup. I've discovered that my Porter Cable brad gun will shoot the Raptor brads, as long as you don't mind cussing and fussing at opening the gate and cleaning out jams every 5th shot. I will probably switch to steel brads soon because of that.
Attachments
IMG_20140321_154418_743.jpg

garrech

Post by garrech »

Thanks for the update. I look forward to following your build.

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

Thanks, garrech. I'm loving this project! I have a layer on the bottom and one side. I guess it will be a while before I post more pictures, as I have a lot to do layering the bottom and sides, but no pictoral difference.
Attachments
IMG_20140327_181501_907.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Brad

Looks good. It may not be finished. But, it is a boat it would float! Nice to see its shape.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

slug

Post by slug »

Brad; I used no.6 by 5/8 pan head sheet metal screws to fasten my ply planking. Predrilled thru the ply with a stubby bit. I was then able to fit up several planks, then remove them, glue , and refasten. Pulled the screws for re-use as soon as the epoxy was set up enough.
Of course this is only on the inner ply layers. Lots of epoxy on the final planking fills these holes.

Doug

Return to “Hankinson designs”