Barrelback 20'

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

alycat

Re: Barrelback 20'

Postby alycat » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:11 pm

I do see a potential problem that I will be asking for some advice, I will have to post some picks of it later this week. When I laid the keel it was about 1/4 proud at the transom. Then I cut the notches and noticed the bottom of the transom was not level. I rechecked level at frame one and everything is fine and the would be top of the transom where the sheer clamp comes into the transom is level. I guess a lot of epoxy and sanding will make it all better. Pictures would probably explain better!
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Barrelback 19' stretched to 20'

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 3171d9bb06

John56

Postby John56 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:02 pm

Looking good Will!!!!

You are getting ahead of me while I'm stuck in Los Angeles. Gonna have to turn it up a notch when I get back home.

alycat

Postby alycat » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:19 pm

Well I got 25 sheets of 1/8 okoume marine plywood at Houston Hardwoods, this week, so I think I should have enough for the planking once I get the fairing, battens permanently install, camber boards install, so much to do!!

I also picked up a $10.00 hand plane from harbor freight and started a little fairing. Works pretty good.

This what I was taking about in one of my previous posts about the transom, I think once I get the camber boards installed, this may take care of itself, epoxy, epoxy, epoxy........

I am having a ball with build, learning something new all the time, and I can't say enough about all the folks on this forum, the best teachers, and encouragers out there!!
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

billy c

Postby billy c » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:47 am

the fairing is coming along great Will :D glad to see another plane added to your toolbelt
on your transom/keel photo where the keel was sitting proud of the transom, it appears the chines are sitting in the transom fine so all should be level and straight across that point. solution is either the keel needs to be set deeper into the transom slot, or material has to be removed to bring it down to the finished surface of the transom. both solutions will work. plenty of thickness of the keel in that area so fair away. (you can also add to the inner side of the keel if you are concerned about finished thickness.)
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

alycat

Postby alycat » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:55 am

Thank you!! I will take some off the keel to get it level with the chine. I keep reading about the tendency of hooking the transom up in some situations, so I am trying to avoid that as well.
I like that plane, it makes nice curly q's and it easy to see what your taking off, and it was cheap too.
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:22 pm

Moving right along Will. Good progress so far. Before you know it, you'll be scooting around the lakes!.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

alycat

Postby alycat » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:05 pm

I have doing a little fairing, on sliver at a time on the sheers and frames. Also been trying to finish fitting the last two battens at the stem. That seems to be a trouble area for me, but getting there slowly.

Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

John56

Postby John56 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:23 pm

Oh yea, looking good!!

I need to catch up!!

alycat

Postby alycat » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:21 pm

Finished the batten attachment to the stem :D :D . Now more fairing :wink: :wink: and camber boards on the barrelback :!: :!: !!

Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

alycat

Postby alycat » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:16 am

As I become a wood sculptutor with my belt sander and hand plane, has anyone else had to deal with the battens set a little too far forward for the perfect landing on the stem? What do you do, fair the battens fair to get the point at the bow at the centerline?

Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

billy c

Postby billy c » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:35 am

Will-
great to see such progress! :D
you could remove the batten, take some material and reattach. i spaced the batten that was nearest the sheer a little further down the stem. that gives an easier transition from the concave lines at the sheer to the vertical of the topsides.
-Billy

slug

Postby slug » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:25 pm

The simplest way is to saw the batten off and re-align it .
Build yourself a plywood guide to help align.
Doug
Attachments
appelant.jpg
Plywood jig for aligning battens to centre of stem

alycat

Postby alycat » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:27 pm

I'm not sure I cut them away and reattach them very easily. I took an estimate with the tool you suggested and it looks like if I sand back into the batten 1/8 to 1/4 and fair it back into the batten that might work to get a good clean line.

What do u think about that one of thinking. Thank you both for the suggestions. It's a head scratcher, but I believe this might be one of those miracle recoveries, that I heard I believe once before.

:shock: :lol: :wink:
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

billy c

Postby billy c » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:41 pm

your way would work. add a little material to the inside of the batten running to the stem and it should give you the same result after fairing.
i can see yet another miracle recovery in the works :D

Grampa Steve

Postby Grampa Steve » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:40 am

Yes! Wood is good. The lesson teaching easy peezy re-do majical mistery material! (God's original carbon fiber) and unlike our modern carbon fiber, his floats lol.

Return to “Hankinson designs”