Barrelback 20'

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

alycat

Re: Barrelback 20'

Postby alycat » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:29 pm

I have been fairing and working on the transom and stem. I have a pointy front end now. Still trying to get everything smooth and fair.

On the transom, did you guys fair the curve where the top planking will go, or did you wait to the flip. Hard to work upside down.

Thinking about doing what Roberta did and drill the shaft hole before I plank? Still contemplating.

Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Barrelback 19' stretched to 20'

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 3171d9bb06

Aussie

Postby Aussie » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:37 pm

Looking good there.....
Love the barrelback shape..so many curves...
Yes near impposible to get the top of the barrel right while upside down....many a head spin and dizzy moment standing with my head upside down looking to see what needed trimming...but in the end i rough trimmed and planked about a inch over that edge for a bit extra to play with later when rightside up......i am looking at trimming that area very shortly......
Jamie

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:17 am

Wow, really looking good.

Yes, I agree. Run your planking proud and fair the top side once you flip. It is a LOT easier. In addition, you don't have your deck fully framed in yet so you really don't have anything to fair to. Leave your minimally an inch over and make sure it is over. I had one small spot that I failed to do that and I a fit after the fact. Fortunately it is now under the rub rail and I ain't telling where it is .
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

billy c

Postby billy c » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:25 am

looks like you are getting close to the end of the fairing :D
on the barrel, i found it is easier to do after the flip. your coverboards and rubrail will give you an easy way to fair and transition from the topsides to the deck. if you leave the last strake or two off on the transom, you will be able to work everything together better after the hull is turned.
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

alycat

Postby alycat » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:25 pm

Thanks guys!! I will take you're advice on that! What do y'all think of that very bottom batten? It's seems a bit flat, I may add some more material and give it more of a curve??
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

alycat

Postby alycat » Mon May 12, 2014 6:24 am

I have been lagging behind lately in my build, due to a burned up table saw, but it was able to knock out a few items over the past few weekends.

I fixed a broken batten, fitted the side planking, that I had cut, a little more fairing,and finished cutting all the limbers.

Next steps for me is to touch a few fairing areas, and I will be making a paper full size shaft hole layout. I am going to follow Roberta's lead of drilling the shaft hole before planking, my hopes anyway!! :shock: :shock:

Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon May 12, 2014 7:50 am

Looking good Will.

The burned out saw will fade into oblivion soon and you can continue on your build. I've realized with my own setback yesterday that these things are going to occur with regularity and the best thing we can do is keep pushing forward.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Joris

Postby Joris » Tue May 13, 2014 7:15 am

I've noticed that most builders cut the plywood across the grain of the outer layer and not lengthwise? Is there a reason for this?
Reason i'm asking is that i noticed a significant different in stiffness between the two.

Thanks,
Joris

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue May 13, 2014 7:58 am

Joris

I cut mine lengthwise. I don't think there would be a great difference in strength. It would be easier to make the 4' cut than the 8' cut.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

alycat

Postby alycat » Tue May 13, 2014 7:19 pm

Starting to make a full size layout for the shaft hole measurements? I have a full size print of the engine. Has anyone done this before? Or am i off my rocker?

Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Joris

Postby Joris » Wed May 14, 2014 6:36 am

alycat wrote:Starting to make a full size layout for the shaft hole measurements? I have a full size print of the engine. Has anyone done this before? Or am i off my rocker?

I'm doing the same. I have a full size drawing of the boat so it was the easiest way for me to check everything.
Joris

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed May 14, 2014 7:15 am

Will

You may have already done this and I didn't see it. Be sure and put drain holes in those chambers between the transom and false transom. If water finds its way in there it needs a way out.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

alycat

Postby alycat » Wed May 14, 2014 5:50 pm

No, I haven't done that!! :shock:
Thank you for bringing that to my attention,
I will add that to my checklist, and make sure I do that!!
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

alycat

Postby alycat » Sun May 18, 2014 3:15 pm

Thanks Bill for the recommendation, I have cut the exhaust access holes as well as drain holes in the false transom for the space made by the camber boards. :D

After making some measurements I ordered some parts from Mrs. Gayle; rudder, rudder stuffing box, and strut to get my measurements with the real thing for that shaft hole. Thank you for the help!!!

Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

alycat

Postby alycat » Fri May 23, 2014 6:52 pm

Santa came early, and brought a few parts today to help in my visual of all the angles.

Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Return to “Hankinson designs”