Barrelback 20'

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

alycat

Re: Barrelback 20'

Postby alycat » Sun May 25, 2014 5:43 pm

Got a question on the distance from the end of the strut to the rudder.
This is what I have come up with:

1 inch - for space between end of strut and prop
3 inch - hub lenght, (sae std. From propscanusa.com)
3 inch - space to pull prop from taper
1 inch - for nut
1 inch - for cotter pin and extra

Does this seem right?? I could add a 1/2 inch to bring total space to 9 1/2 inches?

Thanks!!

Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Barrelback 19' stretched to 20'

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 3171d9bb06

jenko

Postby jenko » Sun May 25, 2014 6:47 pm

sounds good , mine is 10''(riviera) and I could have taken off the 1/2''

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon May 26, 2014 5:15 pm

Will,

It has to be cool to get to the point where you can start purchasing something other than wood for your boat. even though the strut and rudder will normally not be seen, it is still like a new toy. Good luck with the drilling.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

alycat

Postby alycat » Tue May 27, 2014 5:32 pm

Thank you it is nice to get something other than wood!! Thinking about drilling is driving me nutty :shock: checking double checking, and double checking again!! I say, I say nutty!!

Also, anyone out there use a scorpion 5.7 L with a 71C. Would you happen to know the total length of the engine and transmission. I have different schematics but they all say a little something different. I have made all my calcs off of approximately 43 inches in length.
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue May 27, 2014 5:40 pm

Will

I don't have good numbers for you. But, these boats seem to consistently ride bow heavy at idle speed. I think I would take you longest length and work back. That will be better than forward. Trim tabs or wedges will correct if you run high. The other way is tougher.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

alycat

Postby alycat » Tue May 27, 2014 6:39 pm

U are meaning heavy forward, correct? The 43 inches is at a 15 degree angle. Meaning the boat sits a little forward at idle?

The curious thing is, I have never seen in person, or ridden in one of these boats, I have only seen in pictures!! Crazy I know.

I stretched the hull to 20 feet, the 19 ft recommended the v6, when I put the v8 in, it filled the space as if it was scaled right into the additional 6 inches added to the 3 frame spacings from the transom to the 3 rd frame.

This puts the front of the engine at the back of the second seat, as per the 19 foot plan. I think I have a little wiggle room to move the engine aft a bit, one or two inches.

Thank you !!!
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue May 27, 2014 9:20 pm

Will

I hope a BB builder will jump in. But, if the center of gravity is close to the center of buoyance there should be no problem.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

billy c

Postby billy c » Wed May 28, 2014 8:58 am

get your engine location near as you can to plan or you may be using some method of trimming out the hull under power. ...if anything err slightly to the rear of the c/b.
mine sits on it's waterline pretty much as drawn when loaded with fuell and gear
think you have this but here it is again :)
Screen shot 2014-05-28 at 11.50.52 AM.png
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

alycat

Postby alycat » Wed May 28, 2014 6:45 pm

Thank a lot guys!! I think I have it all ready to go now, with your help, it has increased my confidence level. I think I am going to take the plung and get the set ready and put the first layer on the sides? Yikes!! :shock: :) The schematic confirmed mine which was a relief!!

Do you recommend fairing between each layer or just the layer before the final??

Thanks for all the help!
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

billy c

Postby billy c » Wed May 28, 2014 6:59 pm

alycat wrote:Do you recommend fairing between each layer or just the layer before the final??

right! fair between layers as you will get ridges where the ply edges butt. also a coarse sanding will reveal any low spots. i skimmed these with thickened epoxy before adding the next layer.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Bob Perkins

Postby Bob Perkins » Sat May 31, 2014 7:10 am

I agree with Billy - Get the engine as close to the design on the plans.

When my boat was upside down I painted the waterline per the plans.

On launch day - It sat perfect on the designed water line.

The designers did their job in that the boat handles perfectly if it sits in the designed water line. The motor is (obviously) the heaviest component that would effect this and placement is critical to getting the correct balance. If on launch day your boat doesn't sit on the line - I would say moving the battery either to the front or the back would be the way to rebalance the boat.

On strut to rudder placement - I remember a few details..
One was that the tapered end of the shaft was very well defined in all the drawings my the manufacturers. A particular item was that the taper should start one shaft diameter aft of the end of the strut. i.e. 1" shaft --- the taper should start 1" aft of where it exits the strut.

There was another formula for how much clearance there should be between the edge of the blade and the bottom of the boat. (of course can't find it)
and one for how much clearance is needed to get the prop off between the rudder and the end of the shaft.

HTH
Bob

alycat

Postby alycat » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:18 pm

Thank you, after taking more measurements, I think I am more confused or just beating a dead horse!!
I maybe trying to shove a V8 into a boat it won't fit into. From the measurements a v8 will fit but the cockpit size will remain the same size per the original plan for the boat being 19 feet? The v8 takes up the additional space that was given by stretching it to 20 feet.

If I were to go with the v6, I believe I would have the additional 6 inches for the cockpit area and the additional six inches in the engine area.

Has anyone put a v8 in the barrelback design??

I'm sure I maybe overthinking it, or I should stop measuring!! Ha ha, this is driving me crazy. Does anyone have a schematic of a v6 with a 71c transmission.

Thanks, I hope I am not making a mountainous of a mole hill, but I would like the boat to sit level! :shock:
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Bob Perkins

Postby Bob Perkins » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:49 am

You are doing the right thing measuring and rechecking repeatedly until you are sure. Even then, you will feel 'pretty' sure...
I spent a few weeks chewing on the motor placement measurements with relation to the strut and prop shaft when it came to drilling the hole.

That said - I think you need to pick THE motor and get a diagram of it... Not A motor ;)

Then see if it fits - Since I purchased new - I was able to get a factory spec sheet. I ended up making a cardboard cutout of the profile to *fit* into a drawing of the frames, motor stringers and deck beams to be sure there was room. A few builders had to make modifications very late in the process that I was glad I avoided. This measurement was all about fitting inside the hatch properly.

As far as room fore/aft.. I would think you could determine that from the drawings use a scale ruler? and of course knowing the size of THE motor.
You are doing the right thing in making sure the motor fits.

HTH

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:36 am

I found a drawing file (.dwg) for my engine. Printed them out full size. I used it to make a mock up (See my pictures). If you can do this, it will really make it easier. A copy shop or sign shop will have a large format printer. Or maybe an engineer friend can do it at work. :wink:

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

alycat

Postby alycat » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:56 pm

Just got back from vacation and was checking on the boat, and I was noticing the level seem a bit off, it has been getting pretty hot in the garage, do folks have to periodically re level the boat? Is it getting to hot? Do I need an ac ? :? That probably would be a nice addition working in the garage this summer? I am just a bit worried, I don't want a twisted boat!!

I have only put the first layer of planking on the sides.

Thanks

Will
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Return to “Hankinson designs”