Norwegian Barrelback 20'

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Thomas H

Norwegian Barrelback 20'

Post by Thomas H »

Hi,
Thought I'd make my first post in here (or second, after introducing myself) and show some pictures of my project. I started building my 20' barrelcack about a year ago and try to do some work on it now and then. I have a full time job and too many other projects, so the progress isn't that fast. But then again I don't really have a deadline either.

The frames are ready:

Keel and chines dry-fitted:

Sheer clamps:

Notches:

Keel lamination:

Started fairing:

More fairing:

Even more fairing:

And at last, the engine! :D
An all-aluminum Lexus 4.0L V8 (1UZFE) in a marine version called VT300i. It is coupled to a ZF45A gearbox with a 8deg downangle. Toyota made these for their waterski boats called Epic from '98 to '01. I will run the engine with a heat exchanger in order to avoid salt water to enter the aluminum block. The engine is light weight (628lbs/285kg w/gearbox and manifolds) and fairly powerful for it's size (300bhp). I'm really looking forward to see what kind of performance it will give (probably too much for a Barrelback anyway...)

Thomas

Roberta

Re: Norwegian Barrelback 20'

Post by Roberta »

Look's Great, Thomas!!! Love the Lexus motor!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Thanks Roberta! I really like that engine as well. I've worked a bit with it in cars earlier so originally I was planning to marinize a car engine. Started buying parts for that, but then I came across this with everything in place from the factory, and it was even brand new (well not used at least), so it was a no-brainer for me - and a lot less work! :)

alycat

Post by alycat »

Very nice work,!
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Barrelback 19' stretched to 20'

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 3171d9bb06

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat »

G'day Thomas
You are really going to love that Lexus engine, super smooth, light and good on fuel, around 12-15 litres per hour in cruise at 2750 - 3000 RPM. I went down the path of marinising a car engine 1UZ-FE driving through a BW 71C 1:1 transmission. See "customer photos", Monaco Alan Close Australia.
ozzieboat

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Thanks alycat, doing my best and learning a lot on the way!

Hi Alan! Yes, i believe I'm going to like it a lot. I noticed before I started that you had walked the path for me with the marinizing the car engine, so if I'd done that I would definitely have contacted you! Glad to hear that you are happy with yours. What did you end up doing with the exhaust? Dual with no mufflers and flexible hose, or any hardpiping? 3" or 4"? I'm thinking dual 3", no mufflers, mostly polished stainless pipes, but with flexible couplings in both ends to allow for some movement.

Thomas
Last edited by Thomas H on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grampa Steve

Post by Grampa Steve »

Wow. Welcome Thomas! I love your high quality "Norwegian wood" build with that great light V8 power to weight ratio. A brand new classic woody forming right before our very eyes. Keep up the great work.
Grampa Steve

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Thanks Grampa Steve! It is Norwegian wood indeed, spruce actually. Light and strong, maybe not the best rot resistance, but with good encapsulation and the boat not staying in the water for too long at the time I am not so worried about that.
Thomas

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat »

Thomas
The exhaust manifolds are HiTek, (see www.hitek.com.au). I had a choice of these or a log style similar to the ones on your Epic engine (see www.cassellmarine.com.au) The log style are cast aluminium, the reason I didn't use them is that the rear end would foul on the engine stringers. You shouldn't have that problem as your engine will sit at a lesser angle of about 6 degrees, but mine is 14 degrees being the same as the prop shaft. The HiTek exhaust is of stainless steel construction and of an extractor design, supposably gives better power and economy. I was also informed not to bother about mufflers for starters due to this design. I have only clocked up 5 hours so far and I haven't had an opportunity to hear the boat from a distance. I does sound nice though.
From the manifold to the rear of the engine compartment I made an intermediate pipe/s out of 75mm S/S, basically a straight and 45 degree bends welded on either ends. The manifold exit is centred above the stringer so this pipe connects the manifold to the main pipe which starts outside the stringers and about 30mm up from the stringer vertical centre. The main pipe 75mm S/S runs right through and exits the transom at a height about the centre of the stringer vertical face. A flange is welded to the pipe/s which is bolted through the transom.
To join the pipes I have used 75mm 5 ply silicon turbocharger hose. I am planning to use silicon hump hose, but as there is no movement of the engine straight hose can stay for a while. The front end of the main pipe is supported by the rear wall of the engine compartment via a flange clamped to an extension piece of the silicon hose coupling.
Out of curiosity does the Epic engine have oxygen sensors? The HiTek manifolds have provision for sensors so I used the original engine ones. I would also like to see a clearer picture of the torsional coupling. I used a "Centa" DS coupling that looks very similar to the Epic one.
Keep up the good work
Alan

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the info. I had looked at both the HiTek and the Casell marine ones, plus some from Harris marine for the conversion of the car engine. Like you, I favored the Hitek ones, so if mine go bad at some point I will probably get those.

There are no O2 sensors on the Epic engine.

Sadly I don't have a better picture of the torsional drive coupling for you, but I have attached the same picture in full size so you might be able to zoom a bit more(?). The one I have you can find here: http://www.epicmarine.com/figures/e_Fig_24.php, but I have no idea who the manufacturer is. I had a look at the Centa homepage, and it looks very similar as you say..

Do you have a picture of what your engine installation looks like complete?

Thomas
Attachments
Engine before assembly
Engine before assembly

Grampa Steve

Post by Grampa Steve »

Thomas,
Couldn't tell if they're in your frames at each bottom stringer, but definitely do not forget the Limbers (I think that's what you call them) before you plank. Don't want to trap any water in that spruce boat! I love that wood. Best weight to strength you can get. I used to build High performance foot launched flying wing "Mitchell Wing" hang gliders with that stuff.
Grampa Steve

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Thanks for reminding me Steve! You are correct, they are not cut yet and I would definitely not want to trap the water there. I have marked the frames with a permanent marker so that I don't forget to do it before the planking. I just want to get done with the fairing all over first, then I'll bring out the router.
Thomas

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat »

Thomas
Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a selection of engine and exhaust pictures.
Alan

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Thanks Alan!
PM sent.
Thomas

Thomas H

Post by Thomas H »

Hi guys,
It’s been a really looooong time since my last post in here now. Taking over the family farm and doing a complete renovation of the house hasn’t allowed for much time to work on the boat during the last 5-6 years.
But now I’ve finally found some time for it again and have gotten a bit further. Still going slow, but at least it’s moving again. Right now I’m working on the second layer of plywood, using vacuum bagging to apply it. I like this a lot better than brads and clamps, and it makes a really good laminate.

Thomas
Attachments
313619E4-FFBE-4874-A9D8-256BB7887B2F.jpeg
69462A38-492F-492D-B0B4-728ED1A033DE.jpeg

Return to “Hankinson designs”