Belle Isle in Chicago build thread (with a few pics)

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Bob Perkins

Re: Belle Isle in Chicago build thread (with a few pics)

Postby Bob Perkins » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:29 pm

Nice work!!!

Its scary lifting it for the first time.. Its old hat after a while ;)
Fantastic!
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

FFRCOBRA

Postby FFRCOBRA » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:16 am

Bob Perkins wrote:Nice work!!!

Its scary lifting it for the first time.. Its old hat after a while ;)
Fantastic!

Thanks Bob. Hopefully I won't need to hang it again. Made me nervous.

FFRCOBRA

Postby FFRCOBRA » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:21 am

Here is coat number 5 of the Silver Tip.
My goal is to have it smooth enough so you don't feel the caulk lines. It's pretty much there. Only a few spots left. I'll do one more coat tonight then sand it down again this weekend. Perhaps a couple more coats next week then sand it once more before it goes off to the body shop for automotive clear.

The white is reflection, not flaws in the epoxy (I can point out plenty of flaws though. Ha)

FFRCOBRA

Postby FFRCOBRA » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:22 am

Last coat of Silver Tip!
I have been applying 2-3 coats, during the week, then sanding on the weekend and repaeting.
I think I'm done. If this Silver Tip had any sort of UV protection I'd call it completely done. But no....it doesn't protect from UV rays so I'll be sanding once again this weekend.
Seeing these pictures makes me sick that I have to take sandpaper to it. It looks pretty good (and these are cheap cell phone pics).

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:42 am

Looks great. I would recommend polyurethane two part clear gloss.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

rleete

Postby rleete » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:43 am

While it looks fantastic, you guys doing all the clear coating and sanding make me glad I decided on paint for my project.

FFRCOBRA

Postby FFRCOBRA » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:56 am

Roberta wrote:Looks great. I would recommend polyurethane two part clear gloss.

Roberta :D

Yes, 2-part roll/tip marine urethane or automotive clear (also catalyzed urethane) sprayed on.

I'm talking with a few body shops to see if the boat will fit in their booth. I'd like to get it back from the body shop where I don't have to wet sand and polish. It's possible. I've seen it done on several cars. A talented painter can lay it down without orange peal and no wet sanding and buffing required.

If I have to sand and polish the clear....I don't even want to think about more sanding right now. Ha!

Bob Perkins

Postby Bob Perkins » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:04 am

I'm going to re-varnish this year on next..

I need to mark this thread.
Looks great!!!!
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:26 pm

Looks beautiful. Only hope mine looks half as good. That is if I ever get to that point.

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:30 pm

I'd like to get it back from the body shop where I don't have to wet sand and polish. It's possible. I've seen it done on several cars. A talented painter can lay it down without orange peal and no wet sanding and buffing required.

Yes, this is certainly feasible with automotive clearcoat. My only question is the automotive clearcoat compatible with the caulk, or do you mask it?

Beautiful Build!!! :)

FFRCOBRA

Postby FFRCOBRA » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:37 pm

Good question on the compatibility but that's the reason for so many coats of epoxy. You can't even feel the caulk lines anymore. The caulk is under about 3/16" of clear epoxy. Its completely encapsulated. Even if it's not compatible, it should be isolated from the automotive clear.

Thanks for the compliment. Its been a lot of hard work. At this point my marriage is being tested. (ha. Not really. She tolerating the project but we are both ready for it to be done.)

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:19 am

Awesome build so far.

This is the color scheme I'm going for on my little Squirt. What is the stain you used on the covering boards, black, dark brown, walnut? I didn't see it mentioned earlier in your thread.

Thanks,
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

FFRCOBRA

Postby FFRCOBRA » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:54 am

Hi Jim.
Thanks for the compliment.

The stains are all water soluble powder dyes. I went to W.D. Lockwood and ordered a bunch of sample packs. They are tiny 1 ounce envelopes that you mix with a quart of water. I did some tests and picked one.

The sides and deck are their "MCW #165 Brown". I bought 4 ounces of powder and mixed it with a gallon of water. I used about a third of it.

The covering boards are the same color except a 1 ounce packet of black added in. I just poured off a quart of the mixed brown from above and kept adding until I liked the color. The black is their "MCW #52 Black".

In the direct sun the covering boards have a brown color. Really dark, but still brown. In the shade and dark light the covering boards turn black as night.

I've never used wood dyes before. In fact I have limited use of stains too. The grain with these dyes actually moves as you walk by. It was surprising the first time I saw it. It's hard to explain. I'll try to link a video.

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:30 am

Hi FFRCobra,

Thanks for the dye info. I know exactly what you mean about the grain moving/changing, I've got the same affect on the sides of my Squirt. I think these dyes let the beauty of the grain shine through and depending how the grain of the board lays, you get a "sharkskin" affect as you look at it from different angles.

I've been using the Behlen's Solar Lux dyes and TransTint dyes. I'm leaning toward using several coats of Walnut dye on the covering boards which approaches black, but will still have brown in it.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

FFRCOBRA

Postby FFRCOBRA » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:05 am

Hi Jim,
Yes, you explained it perfectly. It really does move and change. Such a cool effect.

Sounds like your covering boards will have the same look I achieved. Still brown, but approaching black.

Good luck on your project. They are fun.....and nerve wracking at the same time (at least for me).

Thanks
Craig

Return to “Hankinson designs”