Belle Isle in Chicago build thread (with a few pics)

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

ToddM

Re: Belle Isle in Chicago build thread (with a few pics)

Postby ToddM » Thu May 18, 2017 12:46 pm

FFRCOBRA wrote:Clamped down a straight edge and started cutting

Somewhere on this forum someone has a picture of this saw and says something like, "if you have this saw, stop and throw it out immediately". I can't agree more. I cut for 2" and it veered so far off track it cut into the deck structure framing underneath.

I changed to this saw. Faster, louder and even scarier to use for cutting these doors.

It did a very clean job though

What saw/saws? I can't see any photos. I imagine you are talking about a jig saw, and my experience with jig saws is that they are prone to wander, are very difficult to straight line with, and are not best for accurate cuts even with an edge guide, no matter the brand or size.

jenko

Postby jenko » Thu May 18, 2017 3:22 pm

very nice :D

Cutwaterguy

Postby Cutwaterguy » Fri May 19, 2017 4:22 am

ToddM wrote: I imagine you are talking about a jig saw, and my experience with jig saws is that they are prone to wander, are very difficult to straight line with, and are not best for accurate cuts even with an edge guide, no matter the brand or size.

bull strut!

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Fri May 19, 2017 8:27 am

FFRCOBRA - Thanks. Yeah, I bet that was scary cutting into your finished deck. So, do you recommend the straightedge clamp and circular saw, or would you do anything different? Maybe one shot of tequila right before you plunge?

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Fri May 19, 2017 10:48 am

I have a Makita circular saw that is designed for making plunge cuts. Works great.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

FFRCOBRA

Postby FFRCOBRA » Sat May 20, 2017 8:27 pm

ToddM wrote:FFRCOBRA - Thanks. Yeah, I bet that was scary cutting into your finished deck. So, do you recommend the straightedge clamp and circular saw, or would you do anything different? Maybe one shot of tequila right before you plunge?

Not sure I'd recommend the way I did it but couldn't think of another way.....so I went for it. The shot of tequila may have helped. Two shots....probably a bad idea.

FFRCOBRA

Postby FFRCOBRA » Sat May 20, 2017 8:35 pm

So I took the next step. I decided I wanted to sand and buff the clear. From a distance it looked great. Like this

Up close, there was a ton of dust. I read the reviews on this clear and people kept complaining about tons of bubbles. If you tip it right, there are no bubbles. I think people were seeing dust. It dried like this

Last edited by FFRCOBRA on Sat May 20, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FFRCOBRA

Postby FFRCOBRA » Sat May 20, 2017 8:42 pm

I'd like to lay out the steps I took to fix it. First let me say I am not an expert here. I'm sure some would think I did it wrong or have other ways to do it. I'm not claiming the is correct. I'm only listing the steps I did after getting help from Skip (with the awesome Monaco) and research on YouTube. Again, this may be wrong but it worked for me and hopefully it can help others in the future.

I first sanded it down with 3M 800 grit purple sanding disks. It was done dry. Skip warned me I would go through a ton of discs. For this first step getting the dust and brush marks (from tipping) it was a long process and I went through about 30 discs on the deck. Once they stop cutting, they flat stop. It's amazing how suddenly they work, then just stop.

Here I have started sanding and you can see the brush marks and sand specs. More sanding required.

Last edited by FFRCOBRA on Sat May 20, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FFRCOBRA

Postby FFRCOBRA » Sat May 20, 2017 8:45 pm

Completely sanded

Then you need to wipe it down before moving on. They say to get the course residue off the surface or the next step of finer paper would just swirl it around

All cleaned up

Last edited by FFRCOBRA on Sat May 20, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FFRCOBRA

Postby FFRCOBRA » Sat May 20, 2017 8:48 pm

Next was 3m purple 1200 grit. It did this wet. Used a spray bottle with a cap of dishwasher soap in it.

Again, clean it up before the next step (don't have pic)

FFRCOBRA

Postby FFRCOBRA » Sat May 20, 2017 8:53 pm

Next, 1500 wet. All the same steps

Cleaning up the residue

FFRCOBRA

Postby FFRCOBRA » Sat May 20, 2017 8:55 pm

Finally 2000 grit. Couldn't find 3m discs. These are cheap amazon specials. They seemed to work okay.

Sanded and residue cleaned up.

FFRCOBRA

Postby FFRCOBRA » Sat May 20, 2017 8:59 pm

Next, I used a wool pad (thanks again skip) and 3m compound.

This takes a lot longer than I expected. I was thinking the gloss would just reappear instantly. It takes some work. Lots of compound and always moving to prevent burning. As I said before, I'm no expert. It was my first time attempting this. Others may be able to get the shine right away. I couldn't but it eventually came in. Sorry, bad picture with residue slung all over the surface.

FFRCOBRA

Postby FFRCOBRA » Sat May 20, 2017 9:05 pm

Finally I used a polishing compound and a foam pad. It took all the swirl marks out left by the wool pad.

Here are the same pics where the dust was showing. Much better! Note the line through the reflection of the light fixture is a chain from my engine hoist. Pretty good reflection.

Again, I'm not saying this is the way. It's what I used. It's still not perfect, but much better. I was quoted $5,000 to clear the boat at a body shop. I spent about $400 on Perfection Plus varnish and another $200 on sandpaper and compound.

I still see some minute sand scratches in certain light. Maybe I'll get better with this and redo some areas.....or maybe I'll call it good enough and actually be done with sanding on this project.
Craig

Bob Perkins

Postby Bob Perkins » Sun May 21, 2017 4:55 am

Great job!
If there is a better way to do it, I'd like to know. But I think you did it the only way there is do to it.
I had the exact same issues years ago and went through the same steps except I didn't have an air sander at the time..
Now I know better - finish looks great!
Love watching your progress.
Bob
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Return to “Hankinson designs”