Belle Isle in Chicago build thread (with a few pics)

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

TomB

Re: Belle Isle in Chicago build thread (with a few pics)

Postby TomB » Sun May 21, 2017 5:53 am

Fantastic!!!

It is going to look great in your living room.

Cutwaterguy

Postby Cutwaterguy » Sun May 21, 2017 5:56 am

Pardon my ignorance, but are you sanding and buffing epoxy or phenolic varnish? Is there a cure time between coats? All gar wood boats the dusenburg of wood boats were hand rubbed with pumice b4 going out the door. looks nice craig.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun May 21, 2017 8:06 am

Man oh man Craig, that is a shiny beaut! What would be cool is if we had a show and tell photo op with all the beautiful woodies that are going to be completed this year!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun May 21, 2017 8:36 am

Carl

It's called the Gathering!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sun May 21, 2017 8:49 am

FFRCOBRA wrote:
I first sanded it down with 3M 800 grit purple sanding disks.

Is there any reason that you did not start with a coarser grit, like maybe 220, or 320? Please do not take this question as me thinking I know better. My inclination would be to start with 220, like I would on clear finish furniture, but I would like to know if and why a boat finish or varnish might be different. I have never finished a boat, nor have I ever used varnish, or spar varnish, or varnish over epoxy.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun May 21, 2017 9:38 am

Todd

I'm not in this camp. I rarely sand past 220. Most epoxies say 80 grit between coats. I like the 2-part PU varnishes. But, I've become sensitize to them and the epoxy. I like Pettit High Build 1-part. It has a phenol resin in it. It bothers me some. But, it's not bad. Get on my boat and walk on the decks with your shoes on (OK Todd! No High heels!). I built the boats to use.

I'm happy for the people who want to go to this level of finish. I want to get on the water.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Ibrew2be

Postby Ibrew2be » Sun May 21, 2017 5:26 pm

Craig, your results look utterly fantastic. Thanks for posting the details of how you accomplished this.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

alycat

Postby alycat » Sun May 21, 2017 5:55 pm

Wow, amazing results!!!! Thanks for posting your steps!!!
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Barrelback 19' stretched to 20'

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 3171d9bb06

Cutwaterguy

Postby Cutwaterguy » Mon May 22, 2017 6:17 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:Todd

I'm not in this camp. I rarely sand past 220. Most epoxies say 80 grit between coats. I like the 2-part PU varnishes. But, I've become sensitize to them and the epoxy. I like Pettit High Build 1-part. It has a phenol resin in it. It bothers me some. But, it's not bad. Get on my boat and walk on the decks with your shoes on (OK Todd! No High heels!). I built the boats to use.

I'm happy for the people who want to go to this level of finish. I want to get on the water.

Bill

Last serious varnish work i did was 25 year ago… i too was brought up using tony browns method of sealing & varnishing a hull using hi-build with turp. Now as i understand it…. you can use cpes for 2 sealing applications instead of hi-build with turp. At this point u can go the your finish uv varnish. I believe the most important thing one wants is the best strongest sealing adhesion coats and i'm wondering if cpes is it? The cradle above is sealed with thinned out epoxy and 2 coats full strength epoxy. I done this one 5 years ago wanting to see if epoxy cures into the grain like varnishes do… so far zero cure into the grain. Do you know what i mean curing into the grain? thanks for your comments.

FFRCOBRA

Postby FFRCOBRA » Mon May 22, 2017 2:19 pm

Thanks for all the great comments guys. It means a lot to hear.

Bob- I know that you went through the steps before. I have been lurking on your build website for the last several years. When I saw you photo of the rough varnish, I was hoping I didn't have to go through that. But...I did. Just like everyone else it seems.

Cutwater- I'm not buffing the epoxy. It's a 2 part urethane clear. Similar to automotive clear-coat. I don't have the the controlled spray booth or talent to spray it on myself so you can roll and tip it. I just wanted it smoother than that offered.

Todd- I think courser would go right through the thin clear too quickly. Then if you didn't sand through, you need to go up through the finer grits to get the scratches out. It's really thin. I did 4 coats on the entire boat with only 4 quarts. Some people may think 800 was too aggressive to start. I've seen some people start with 1200. But as I've said before (and you stated also) we aren't experts. Just trying to help each other. ha.

Thanks again guys. Here is a picture my wife took before I rolled it back in the garage last night. Now the interior and deck 'bling' are left. Unfortunately I'm traveling most of June. My July 4th goal may not happen.

Bob Perkins

Postby Bob Perkins » Mon May 22, 2017 3:01 pm

Love it!
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Mon May 22, 2017 4:30 pm

Cobra:

Really quite stunning!

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

billy c

Postby billy c » Mon May 22, 2017 5:46 pm

She's beautiful Craig! Nicely done. Glad you ran thru the grits and cleaned between those are so important to the final finish you got.
If i can add a little info to the application process
...on the hulls that I have done using Perfection, I found that the tipping off process is the key to how well the finish levels. If you have a dry brush (switch out brushes as the bristles get loaded with finish) and just touch the surface to eliminate trapped air without moving any paint around, it will level off without the brush divots, giving you less material to remove.
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Tue May 23, 2017 4:19 am

Sensational!!! :D

BobBrown55

Postby BobBrown55 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:00 am

Is it just me, or are all the photos that were in this series of posts no longer available? Is it because Photobucket changed their policy for posting on third party sites (I.e. a paid subscription is now required to do that)?
Last edited by BobBrown55 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Building the Belle Isle ... slowly.

Return to “Hankinson designs”