Belle Isle in Chicago build thread (with a few pics)

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

FFRCOBRA

Re: Belle Isle in Chicago build thread (with a few pics)

Post by FFRCOBRA » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:45 pm

In my last post I thought I'd need the mahogany in about a month. Well, that was two months ago. Finished sanding the final layer today. After these photos I lined off the hull. The mahogany strakes are supposed to be ready this Wednesday. I'm ready for this next step. The layer after layer and strip after strip of plywood was really getting old.

Not very exciting photos, but here they are:

I also think the moving of the hull outside on a nice day has to end. This thing is heavy! I'm starting to see signs of caster failure too.
Craig

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:33 pm

Your hard work is paying off! Very nice...

Bob Perkins

Post by Bob Perkins » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:46 pm

I ended up having to go buy very heavy duty casters too... my regular heavy duty ones all bent...
I think Tractor Supply has them..
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:48 pm

Look's Great!! I know what you mean about the seemingly never ending layers of plywood!! Now I'm into the never ending sanding and painting mode. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

FFRCOBRA

Post by FFRCOBRA » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:20 pm

Next step about to start!
Thank you Billy C., Dick Williams and Bob Brown for the emails with spiling tips. I'm going to try them all, see what works best for me and get into a rhythm.

These are the narrower strips for the bottom near the bow:

This is the rest of it for the sides. The widest planks with orange paint on the ends is 13" wide. All the other planks are between 8" and 10" wide. It may produce more waste, but I wanted to have plenty of material to screw up a few times and still have material in the panel to keep using it.

Wish me luck!
Craig

TJF82

Post by TJF82 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:27 pm

Beautiful work! There's nothing like seeing these beautiful boats become the art they are.

FFRCOBRA

Post by FFRCOBRA » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:27 am

Here's an update.

This may be long because I have several questions to go along with my progress.

Three items I want to discuss.
1. One side is done.
2. Had an accident in the garage and caused some damage.
3. How do I know when I'm done sanding?
4. Water marks on mahogany.
5. Turned it around and ready to start the second side.

Here we go-

1. This one is easy. Here are a couple shots of the first side completed and rough sanded. I'm pretty happy with it.

2. Accidental damage. The last time I moved the boat I saw some signs of caster damamge. I went and bought heavier, larger diameter casters. I took my floor jack and jacked up the building form so I could remove the old casters and install the new ones. It was a string of several factors that added up to a problem. While jucking up the front of the frame the jack was just slightly off center. On the far side of the boat was several hundred pounds of managany strips and all my tools. Plus, the other casters were swivled 'inwards' so that the base was not as wide as if they were swivield outwards. I stood there wide eyed as the entire boat tipped over in slow motion onto its side. Of course it couldn't have fallen on the unfinished side it had to be the mahogany side. Another bad thing was that I hadn't yet trimmed the bottom lip of the mahogany strake to even with the sheer. It hung down about an inch. This lip is what all the weight of the boat fell on. It cracked and broke the mahogany up beyond the sheer. Nothing else on the boat was hurt. It didn't even groan or maon. It's rock solid. I'll need to glue the areas as well as I can and I believe 9 out of 10 people won't ever notice it when all complete. Here is some damage (I did not take the time to take a picture when on it's side. Ha)

3. How do I know when I'm done sanding. I think this is kind of like a rib recipe I use that says when cooking ribs, "they're done when they're done". In other words, you can't put a hard time on the ribs because you just have to watch them for when they are done. So, I know that it's not precisely 27.5 hours of sanding and I'm done. I get that, but what am I looking for? How do I know when I'm done sanding?

4. During my roungh sanding I was working out quite a bit with the sander and sweating. I noticed a few drips of sweat on the wood and it was swelling up. (naturally.) So I quickly ran sand paper over it and it completely changes the look of the wood. Then I open the garage doors and it had been raining earlier in the day. The garage door dripped onto the wood and did the same thing. Will these spots disappear when all the wood is wetted out? Should I wet it all out now to close up some staple holes?

Sweat drip:

water drip:

5. Turned it around.
This thing is HUGE. I was running into fences, trees and had to extend the driveway so casters didn't rool into the grass. BUt we got it around and back in the garage to start the second side.

finished side (back in the garage):

Unfinished side ready to go:

Thanks,
Craig

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:07 pm

The cracking? I would wick in some resin and clamp it down with some spring clamps, boards and a nonstick material to keep the clamping stuff from sticking. Once it is cured, some sanding, filler, and filler stain should hide it. Most likely it will look like grain in the wood. Since it is close to the shear, the rub rail may cover some of it.

Sanding? Some people use a light sandable primer as a gage (like machinist ink for metal) to tell if the surface is flat and use a flexible long board to see if the primer sands off evenly. If you don't get it flat with a flexible long board, you risk sanding a lot of your varnish off when leveling the varnish.

It's a big boat and will take a lot of hard work to get it right.

You can use lacquer thinner on the wood to get an idea of how it will look varnished. I think the sanding and filler stains will hide it, though.

It is looking really nice at this stage. You can be proud!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Benj269

Post by Benj269 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:46 am

FFRCOBRA wrote:This is the rest of it for the sides. The widest planks with orange paint on the ends is 13" wide. All the other planks are between 8" and 10" wide. It may produce more waste, but I wanted to have plenty of material to screw up a few times and still have material in the panel to keep using it.
Craig, were you able to source the mahogany in this thickness, or did you have to resaw and plane it yourself? I have been thinking I would have to buy thick boards and resaw them myself. I know I could have them custom milled, but assumed the price would be somewhere near the moon. If you did purchase them this way, did you compare the cost vs resawing yourself?

Benj

FFRCOBRA

Post by FFRCOBRA » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:13 am

Hi Benj,
I had to buy thicker boards. Some 8/4, some 12/4 and have them resawn and surfaced to the thickness I wanted.
The place did have an assortment of 3/16" thick boards but they were from different trees, different boards and did even come close to matching. (and they didn't have near enough).

The boards I choose matched pretty well. The setup and labor charge to cut all these pieces was $600. I know that is a lot, but to buy a good saw (my saw isn't near the quality needed), blades, planers and me probably screwing up a few pieces....I felt it was better to pay the professional.

The wood was $1100 and labor $600. $1700 for all of it. As I suspected, I have a ton of waste. But I'm okay with that. Never did I have to sweat a board being too small or patching smaller pieces together.

I finished the last side last night. I only have the transom to do. I'm looking forward to it tomorrow since the transom is a single curve and should be much easier to cut and fit each piece. Planning on fiberglassing by Thanksgiving.

Craig

Benj269

Post by Benj269 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:01 pm

I think I'm going to give it a go. I have access to a 24" bandsaw at work and all I have to do is buy a resawing blade, which is under $50. I called my local lumber monger and he was more interested in asking me about the boat than answering my questions about how much is costs for them to resaw and plane. Your prices seem like a lot, but if you're happy with the product, who can argue? Although, I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new tool.

FFRCOBRA

Post by FFRCOBRA » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:38 pm

Time for a long overdue update.
I had initially planned to flip the hull by last Thanksgiving. We are now closer to this coming
Thanksgiving than the last. So I missed that goal. Oh well. With the help of several forum members, I
have a much nicer hull than I would have if I rushed it.

So here are some steps along the way since my last update.

I had just finished the mahogany on the second side and needed to do the transom. Here it is:

After the staples pulled and sanded:

I then wetted the wood to raise the grain before sanding:

more coming......

FFRCOBRA

Post by FFRCOBRA » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:40 pm

And added the perimeter screws.

Next I drilled the shaft hole. What a pain. I thought it would be a 20 minute job. It took me hours.

more coming.....

FFRCOBRA

Post by FFRCOBRA » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:42 pm

Finally, all the holes were done:

Next was to test some dye colors. I went all water based dye.

more coming...

FFRCOBRA

Post by FFRCOBRA » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:44 pm

We chose a color and applied it. The stuff dries and/or soaks into the wood so fast, it’s hard to keep a ‘wet edge’ when applying it. I went over some areas and it became darker (obviously) . I then hard to even it out by doing another coat. It was darker than I had anticipated (and darker than my test samples) but still looked great.

more coming......

Return to “Hankinson designs”