Flats Flyer Build in S.C.

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

specialk

Flats Flyer Build in S.C.

Post by specialk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:11 am

Thought I would start a thread of my build... Like the rest of the country ..It will only stay warm here for one or two days ... then it turns cold.. but have gotten three frames built.. I started with #4 (that wood was on top) now I have the middle frames built .. I think ..I will add rod storage under the gunwale's ....I am using cypress .. for all my frames
Attachments
Pic 2.JPG
pic 1.jpg
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Flats Flyer Build in S.C.

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:04 am

Great Specialk--keep us posted!

specialk

Post by specialk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:42 am

Cut out the transom and knee's out on Sat 3-15 it was 76 degree's out. Then Sun. the rain came and the high was only 51 .. so it was a inside honey do list day.. but off 3 days next week and it is supose to be in the 70's .. want to get the building frame built and install all the frame's... COME ON WARM WEATHER...

P.S. thanks Gayle..
Last edited by specialk on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
2nd Boat.....?

areame

Post by areame » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:41 am

I'm jealous of that weather! Sounds like you're making good progress

specialk

Post by specialk » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:57 am

Got a few things done, it seems that as I move stuff around to make room for the build, I am finding stuff that was put on the back burner.. so I am clearing my honey-do-list .
did get the building jig finished, keel made, transom parts cutout and bresthook cut out, glued up...
I am still working on the design of the rod holders under gunwales.. on my next day off will make a pattern and start cutting them out.. I am also (because I do not have a lot of room in my shop) going to make my notches, on the corners of the frames before I set them in place.
Attachments
The frames are just resting on building jig...I needed to feel like I am making progress
The frames are just resting on building jig...I needed to feel like I am making progress
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:06 am

Spent my last 3 days... Mon-Wed working getting all the frames build. havin a little trouble getting the breast stem level, I cut the notch like the plan called for, it is still a little high..I think I will deal with it after I do my Fri-Sat-Sun at the hospital..I added a picture of the rod holders, in the picture they do not look round, they are.. thanks for looking
Attachments
rod holder.jpg
Frame.jpg
boat Frame.jpg
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:42 am

I had a thought...and need help from y'all...should I go ahead and fiberglass the front and sides of the rod holders now .. so I can flip them and keep them flat,, just thinking ahead and it seems it would be easer now than under the gunwales and them standing vertical ..
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:25 am

Well it is Plowing and Planting season.. so not much work on the boat. I did make time to get Keel done...and wanted to show off all my clamps..well half of them anyway. I hope to have some time the first few days of May. I did order my fiberglass and paint for the bottom..found a great place to make my custom gas tank,, Boyd Welding in Ocala Fla. got a great deal on a 22 gallon tank with sending unit and gauge.they are making me a custom inlet on a 45 degree angle. should get it in the next few weeks .. will post some pic when I get it... Ok have a great Easter
Attachments
Boat.JPG
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:30 am

I made a Scarf Jig.. this is a simple and quick way...and works good
Attachments
Scarf Jig.jpg
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk » Thu May 01, 2014 5:28 am

Did get some work done on the boat...Time off goes so fast..plowing and planting almost done... Honey-Do-List..well we won't talk about that..Lets talk about the gas tank..can not say enough about Boyd Wielding, they did a get job.. and shipped it to my door..I found them on the inter-web...got all the battens on..working on sides next..
Attachments
Boat.jpg
Gas Tank.jpg
2nd Boat.....?

areame

Post by areame » Thu May 01, 2014 6:12 am

Looking good, nice progress

JasonG

Post by JasonG » Thu May 01, 2014 7:54 am

Great work! Keep the posts coming.

Jason

specialk

Post by specialk » Sun May 11, 2014 6:06 am

Well had time to do a little work.. do not laugh at my board bending techniques,, I try to use what I have.. I found a presure cooker in the back of our cabinets, so I am going to try to make a steam bender on my next day off.. the chine log needs a little steam to get the right bend..it keeps making to much noise when I try to twist it...
P.S. Happy Mothers Day .. call your mom if you can, because , there will be one day when you can not...
Attachments
boat.jpg
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk » Fri May 16, 2014 7:43 am

Have been busy on tractor fixin, truck fixin not much time for boat building. I did make a steam bender..(want to thank mrintense for adding that you-tube link that showed you how to ) this is not the best picture, when I have a full day I will get a better one,, It is so eazy to make. I could not find a metal gas can..but a presure cooker works fine.. let it steam for about hour and I could have bent that wood around anything..I think I will always keep a set up like this around..

Thanks again mrintense
Attachments
Steam Pic.jpg
2nd Boat.....?

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri May 16, 2014 9:56 am

specialk wrote:Have been busy on tractor fixin, truck fixin not much time for boat building. I did make a steam bender..(want to thank mrintense for adding that you-tube link that showed you how to ) this is not the best picture, when I have a full day I will get a better one,, It is so eazy to make. I could not find a metal gas can..but a presure cooker works fine.. let it steam for about hour and I could have bent that wood around anything..I think I will always keep a set up like this around..

Thanks again mrintense

It's my pleasure. I am glad you could take advantage of something that I also learned from the forum. Only suggestion I have is wrap some rages around the wood at the ends of the envelope to keep most of the steam (and heat) inside the envelope. For larger thicknesses, this will be essential.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Hankinson designs”