Flats Flyer Build in S.C.

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

specialk

Re: Flats Flyer Build in S.C.

Post by specialk » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:17 am

Was off Thur-Fri...got the bottom all around hull trimed..I can finish with belt sander after the flip..sanded total hull, found alot of the screw holes that I filled, had divits in them.. so I will take the advice I got from Roberta and fill them again...I could see that a blister could get started at that point..

Put some filler on the bow.. where the two sheets of 1/4" meet the one sheet of 3/8" .. it really turned out very good..the pictures do not pick up the nice concave look that the bow has at the very front...

I have to work Sat-Tues at the hospital.. then will go with the wife to Seven Springs Pa. for the Mother Earth News Fair to promote her business... Bahama Baby Lotion...so it will be a couple of weeks with no boat time.. if any of the boat building family is in that area.. stop by our booth and say hi... would love to put face's with names..
Attachments
After Filler
After Filler
Before filler
Before filler
Largest Divits in screw holes
Largest Divits in screw holes
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

travis24

Post by travis24 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:26 pm

SpecialK

Looks like the build is progressing well. How about some more pics of that "Shop Truck" looks quite interesting.

Travis
It's like anything you Build. You have to be Patient.

Measure Twice, cut Once.

Keep em Alive ! Vintage & Antique outboards

https://waterhogsworks.com/

specialk

Post by specialk » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:46 am

Ok I am posting this Pic.. by special request...for Travis24....shop truck 66 ford and my wood shop...
Attachments
coved in Ice...
coved in Ice...
2nd Boat.....?

travis24

Post by travis24 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks for the pic !! Nice set up you have.

Travis
It's like anything you Build. You have to be Patient.

Measure Twice, cut Once.

Keep em Alive ! Vintage & Antique outboards

https://waterhogsworks.com/

specialk

Post by specialk » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:30 am

Made some time to get a layer of fiberglass on boat...
Attachments
Boat.jpg
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:10 pm

I made a little time to work on the boat.. life is just busy right now.. I need to email Gayle about the Glen-L sanding team stopping by
Attachments
pic 1.jpg
fiberglass fit
fiberglass fit
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Post by tcough » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:22 pm

Looking good so far. Wish I could get back into the "garage-mahol" to do some more work on my build but life gets in the way at the most inopportune times.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

specialk

Post by specialk » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:21 am

Made some alone time.. to get in the barn.. got the port? side fiberglassed and started thinking... I know ...that can be bad.. This boat will spend most of it's life in shallow water..so I think...( please comment ) I should put another layer on the bottom...
Attachments
finished and sanded
finished and sanded
Laying fiberglass out
Laying fiberglass out
Last edited by specialk on Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:09 am

Well I added another layer on the bottom...sorry no pictures...and put a coat of thick epoxy over the whole boat... I was hoping to get some sanding done..but the cool temps...is weekend would not allow that...

Luke Bryant is playing Fri..night Oct 10th 3 miles from my house...on his FARM TOUR.. so that day is shot..yes my wife bought tickets..... I was informed it was mandatory that I attend....so if I want to keep buying stuff for the boat..I better go..so Sat.. morning I will get back to sanding...I am very excited to be this close to the flip...I know that I still have a lot to do but ...It seems that the flip gives you energy...To keep Building...

I have found a 70hp motor in my old home town in Fla.... so some time this month, I will drive down and get it ...It is used but runs good ...and will give me some time to buy what I really want...hope you like the build ...so far

Kelly.... Building the Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:11 pm

I had about 4hr .. so I finished up some sanding and put the 2nd coat of thick epoxy on ...I hate sanding it ...but I think 1 more coat will have everything leveled out... I have one gallon of primer and one gallon of color for the bottom of the boat ...hope that will be enuff,, I need to put the square edge on the back of boat at the transom ...if anyone has done this I sure could use a little help...I just can not see how to put a flat form on the transom with out screwing it to the transom.. and I really do not want to do that..
Attachments
2nd coat.jpg
2nd Boat.....?

jprice

Post by jprice » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:54 am

I guess it's a little late for this method, now that you've already glassed. But I glassed the transom first, then built up the roundover with some thickened epoxy, filed it flush, then glassed over the bottom.
taransom glass.png
I suppose another option now would be to build it up with several strips of fiberglass, then file/sand it flush to form the crisp edge.

specialk

Post by specialk » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:39 am

Jeff thanks for the reply...I think I am going to try what you have drawn...It is a little low and I beleive that will bring it up to level... I have some 3" fiberglass that will be perfect...and with a little thick epoxy it will work...I read that this being a planing boat it needs to be very flat so I hope it all works out... I really want to get some paint on this boat..but understand that the prep-work now will save me time later...

This is just a fishing boat ...but I do want it to be durable...and get us to and from, in good and bad weather...that is the good me thinking..!

The bad me is saying... lets knock this out ..sand it down and put some paint on it so we can flip it over and get started on the inside...

I will take my time and do it right.. only because my grand kids will be in that boat one day...!
and I am going to Fla. in two weeks to get my fishing fix... Snook look out...

Kelly Trying to build the Flats Flyer...!
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:11 am

I build a small form.. and added some fiberglass to bring the equare edge back... I also got two more coats on boat ...I think it might be all be level now..I hope so ready for some paint...I will know better on the next sanding...well doing my Sat..Sun at the hospital...so Monday I have a little time set aside for sanding ...I think this is whole boat sanding number 6 or 7 ... and I still have painting ...!!!

Sorry no picture of the nice glossy boat with all the new epoxy on it...

Kelly... still sanding I mean building the Flats Flyer...
Attachments
boat edge.jpg
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:24 am

well so much to talk about ...I do not know where to start... went fishing in Florida for 5 days ..had a blast... I really love fishing ... and hate to leave..but it was back to work..

Had to work Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday ... but that is ok ..I did have 4 days off and got a lot done..the weather here as been great..cold at night low 40s but warming up to mid 60s and low 70s perfect for painting with a heater ..so that is what I did...got 2nd coat of primer on and 1st coat of color ...I think one more coat and I will flip this BOAT
Attachments
Boat pic 1.jpg
Boat pic 2.jpg
Boart pic 3.jpg
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:52 am

Merry Christmas... I bought myself a present...
Attachments
Motor.jpg
2nd Boat.....?

Return to “Hankinson designs”