Flats Flyer Build in S.C.

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

specialk

Re: Flats Flyer Build in S.C.

Post by specialk » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:22 am

I hope everyone had a great Memoral Day .. I had to work..hospitals never close..But had afew days off, got all chine's steam bent, all limbers cut in.. started farring.. and got the first two 4x8 sheets of plwood on .. AND A BOAT IS BORN...
Attachments
Boat 2.jpg
BOAT 1.jpg
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:12 am

Awesome--way to go! :D

specialk

Post by specialk » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:01 am

Thanks Gayle.. it is a blast building. I wish I would have done this years ago.. Your father and Ken, really make it eazy.. I am already thinking of my second build.. !
2nd Boat.....?

Maritime

Post by Maritime » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:16 am

I just wanted to say hello. My name is Jay Phillips and I plan to start my build this summer. I was hoping you might have a link where I can follow your progress. I line in Pawleys Island, SC by the way.

specialk

Post by specialk » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:53 am

I have been working way to much overtime..but I do have to buy a motor for this boat.. So there is a trade off..I did make a little time to get 2 more sheets of plywood on ..with the help of my wife...Thank you Baby...hope everyone is having a good summer... It is very humidy here in central South Carolina..and no breeze.. I need a fan for the barn..!
Attachments
boat.JPG
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:13 am

It has been awile.. between work and fishing this summer, time is flying by.. But I have gotten a little work done..and learned alot. Plywood does funny things when you bend it...I have been working with wood for a long time ..framing houses..trim work...building cabinets..and even working in a shop that only built Bars..yep Applebee,s..Ted's Montana Grill.. ect.. That is one of the reasons why I wanted to build a boat..I had got board..(haha) ..with carpentry...
It took me about 2hrs to make a pattern out of plastic and transfer that to a MDF sheet ..cut that out fit it..many times ..and than 1 more hour cutting the 1/2 inch marine plywood..and finding out it did not fit...how is that..? 3 more hours sanding shaping ..and clamping it to the boat..making a few marks..more sanding on a bevel..clamping it back on the boat and so on... And Then It Was Perfect...!!!
I have found my passion for wood working again... The art of taking a stack of lumber and turning it ..into a useable form...!

The Boat Building Bug has Bitten ME...!
Attachments
Boat 2.jpg
Boat 1 jpg.jpg
Last edited by specialk on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
2nd Boat.....?

areame

Post by areame » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:43 am

Looking good, glad your having fun with the build!

tcough

Post by tcough » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:55 am

Great looking build so far SpecialK.

I just received my copy of the plans for a Flats Flyer last month and have fasteners and lumber on order. Hopefully the fasteners come in but regardless, I'll be making frames and kindling this weekend.

As you're well ahead of me, I'll be following your build closely. Have you found any conflicts or issues between the plans and the actual build? I see from your pictures you started decking the bottom first but the plans say to start with the sides. It seems easier to do it the way you approached it but I'm curious as to why the plans say start with the sides.

I was looking at the plans and your photographs and I'm trying to understand the connection of the bottom & side planking to the chine from frame 6 forward to the breasthook. Behind frame 6 it's pretty clear the bottom planking is attached at the narrow side of the chine and the side along the wide side. But at the front, the narrow portion of the chine is twisted/bent inward and only the wide portion remains. How did you place the plywood joint in this area? Did you just split the difference?

Keep up the good work and I'll be following along with your build. I'll be starting a build link on the forum just as soon as I get something to post.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

specialk

Post by specialk » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:09 am

Tcough
I have found no coflicts on the plans- stick to them... When building your frames...watch the level line...It is very important..that way everything line up on your building frame...

I am puting two layers of 1/4" on the bottom.. so I did the bottom first ..so I could use the chine as my stright edge... and then belt sand to it...then the side, let it run long ..top and bottom...I have a dewalt jigsaw that will cut angles both ways..than belt sand to the bottom layer ... I am now puting the last layer on the bottom... My thought to this is.. I am locking all plwood layer's together..only the last bottom layer edge is exposed...

I have used 1 gallon of epoxy to this point already...and bought extra slow epoxy for the last layer on the bottom...I have used a lot more screws than the plans call for...

The chine in the bow area ..you do ..just about split half and half.. the first frame back from the bow... you have to start a bevel.. and it gets wider and more of angle to it as you go to the stern ..and then get almost flat at top again...

I kept to pieces of plywood with me ..when I started faring the keel and chine.. I did all mine with a belt sander...

Ok hope that helped a little... Kelly
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Post by tcough » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks for the info Kelly. After I posted my question concerning the chine and planking, I got to the fairing chapter in the Boatbuilding in Plywood book and it said exactly what you said.

Ordered fastners from Glen-L last Friday and still waiting for a confirmation email that they were shipped. I sent a follow up email around Tuesday and was told they would go out in "a day or two" but still no word. Was hoping they would have been here by now but looks like it will be another week before someone sends them. Guess I'll just be cutting out frame pieces and daydreaming what they'll look like finished.

Tracy
Happy Boating,
Tracy

specialk

Post by specialk » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:06 am

Tcough
you could go to West Marine.. If I remember there two and both on OBT ..pick up a few screws just to get started... I promise you that you will use them..the ones you bought from Glen-L...and a few more...

I know I have ...

Kelly
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Post by tcough » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:56 am

Thanks for the tip Kelly, I didn't know West Marine sold the silicone bronze nails/fasteners. I was planning on buying the epoxy from them as they have a store close to my office over in Melbourne. Figure by purchasing locally, if I need something on short notice I had a source.

How's the build going? Did you get a chance to work over the weekend?

Tracy
Happy Boating,
Tracy

specialk

Post by specialk » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:04 pm

tcough

No .. I work at a hospital ... and we never close...so worked wed -sun... but I have mon-tue off ..so have made time to work on boat monday..."My Plan" is to get two more sheets on the bottom tomorrow...but will bring some pictures to work on wed.. and update the thread...

Not sure if I told you this ...but you can get your marine plywood from vero beach...also stuff a few extra hundreds in your pocket ... my favorite boat building place is in Fort Pierce..on US 1...Marine Liquidators..plan on being there 2-3hrs ...My polling platform was $345 from them w/no top...everyone alse wanted $800 to $1100 ...they have so much stuff..

I will probably get my motor from your area...Boat Tree... My youngest son worked there when he was in school and they are a E-Tec dealer I am looking for a 60 to 90hp that will be fine for our kind of fishing ...
Attachments
Polling Platform.jpg
Last edited by specialk on Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:14 am

This Monday Aug. 25... I did get a few hours to work on "the boat"... (still have not picked out a name )..I remember someone posting this..but I will said it again..I did not factor in the cost of BEER when building this boat...there is a good amount of time .. sitting in a chair, thinking of all you have read, watched video's, talked about, and with book in hand.. make crucial decisions on your next move in boat building...and a cold beer seems the best way to achieve the correct answer...now I have nothing against sweet tea...But this is my day off...

Got the last 3/8 side piece on...coated the edge with epoxy, very well..and was sittin and thinkin of how well "the Boat" looked... yes and finished my celebratory beer.. and put two more full sheets on the bottom.. I went with two 1/4" layers on the bottom, instead of one 1/2 piece...

Well everyone have a save Labor Day

thanks for looking at my build Kelly
Attachments
Boat 3.jpg
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:45 am

I did a little work..over Labor Day.. thought I would post a pic of last sheet on the bottom
Attachments
boat 4.jpg
2nd Boat.....?

Return to “Hankinson designs”