Flats Flyer Build in S.C.

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

specialk

Re: Flats Flyer Build in S.C.

Post by specialk » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:59 am

I have around 7k in my build TOTAL..!

2k for my out board, found someone wanting to upgrade 2001 60hp fourstroke
2k for my trailer...
$450 for my gas tank
I used silicon bronze screws and Glen L has them at a good price..my boat lives most its life in saltwater.. so I wanted all the help I can get...There is a lot of info on the fastener area.. you can check out
I think I spent about 1600 on the plywood.. and 250 for the cypress lumber..
I used about 5gallons of epoxy...I did encapsulate my frames and plywood with epoxy..CPES would have been cheaper...
the rest was paint, electrical, lights, stereo, polling platform, battery's...and I should not forget Bill's favorite sand paper,, painters tape, and a few beers...
Last edited by specialk on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:01 pm

I know Bill she is always the one that get to fish...and when I do catch something... she will not take any picture's
2nd Boat.....?

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:26 pm

specialk wrote:Thought I would start a thread of my build... Like the rest of the country ..It will only stay warm here for one or two days ... then it turns cold.. but have gotten three frames built.. I started with #4 (that wood was on top) now I have the middle frames built .. I think ..I will add rod storage under the gunwale's ....I am using cypress .. for all my frames

Do you remember the exact amount width, length, and thickness you ordered of the stock? I have to email the cypress sawmill to place an order and get them in the kiln.

Thanks

Conrad
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

Consider what God has done: Who can straighten what he has made crooked? Ecc 7:13 :)

specialk

Post by specialk » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:23 am

Conrad, sorry been doing a lot of fishing...I did find my lumber order..this is what I bought...

350ft 1x5 rough sawn
14ft 1x6 rough sawn
10ft 1x7 rough sawn
14ft 1x10 rough sawn
16ft 2@ 8ft 2x6 for transom stiffener and blocking for polling platform...

all of the cypress I bought was over sized and I planed it to 7/8 of a inch thick... the wood on the transom I matched the thickness of the plywood.. and I think were some I plane to 5/8 can not remember why.....
(this was all linear feet)
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Post by tcough » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:27 am

Kelly,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I cant remember any board over 4 foot, except for the sheer, chine, keel, and the top of frame #1. Of course I'm just finishing up the hull this weekend, weather permitting, and don't know what I'll have for the deck yet. Should have the final sanding completed then on to paint.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

specialk

Post by specialk » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:49 am

the 2x6 on the transom was about 7ft...the battens..yes that sounds about right... most of my lumber was 14 and 16 ft... and I only scarfed about 4 pieces...

You ready to flip... we will be down march 24 till april 4... and I know Gov. employee don't work during Easter
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Post by tcough » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:41 pm

Actually we don't. I don't get a holiday until Memorial Day in May. But March 24th is a day off for me then we go to St Louis from the 1st to the 10th.
We will get together!
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

specialk

Post by specialk » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:11 pm

I had to think about where to post this...thought this would be a good place....
When you build a boat...you will be asked...about the same questions every time you launch or trailer your boat...one of the questions will be "why did you build this boat"...my usual answer is the Flats Flyer fits the type of fishing my wife and I like to do...! But that is not the only reason I built a boat...
Today is my birthday I am celebrating my 26th anniversary of my 29th birthday .....(a simple math problem )...my wife asked what I wanted to do...I said take the grand baby's fishing. ..so that's what we did...!

So it is hotter that two rats in a wool sock in South Carolina right now ...so by 10 o'clock we all needed to cool off ...we went to Jim Spence Island...and all of us went for a swim...the boys wanted to jump off the polling platform. ..and watching them have such a good time jumping...then swimming back to the boat...climbing up the polling platform...and jumping in Lake Murray. ..
It hit me...I may have to up date my answer from now on....
Not only is this a great boat for fishing...but it seems it is a great boat to jump off of...

So I think my new answer to the question. ..why did I build this boat will be .....!
" For The Memories ".........!
Attachments
20160727_100152.jpg
20160727_100323.jpg
2nd Boat.....?

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:47 pm

What special day. I'm sure it's great memories for the grand kids too. One day they will say: Hey grandpa remember when you used to take us out on the cool boat you built? Want to help us build our own?
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

bob smith

Post by bob smith » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:00 am

Wow!
We have to get back down to Lake Murray!
Great memories are made there.
Ps stay away from the Frayed Knot for a while!!!!!
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

specialk

Post by specialk » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:09 am

Dr, Bryan .. It would be a dream come true if they asked me to help them build something...!

Bob we really love lake murray... and that is such a sad thing that happened.. we are more of Liberty's Tap Room family ... more beer choices ...! We are heading to the coast this sunday for a couple of days...I need a salt water fix...
2nd Boat.....?

bheff

Post by bheff » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:37 pm

SpecialK,
Thank you for this thread. Im gearing up to order the plans for the FF. Is there any chance that you could post up some more pictures of the finished build? Also, what type of wood do the plans call for on the frames? Id like to source it locally before buying the plans.
Thanks.

specialk

Post by specialk » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:53 am

I am finishing up a couple of projects on my FF...right now...so more pictures are coming. ..
I used cypress on my frames...you could use white oak...or mahogany. ..not shure what you have near you...!
2nd Boat.....?

bheff

Post by bheff » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:34 am

Looking at the materials list, it shows 22 sheets of plywood. Did you use that many? Seems excessive from other designs I've studied. (But none are as nice as the FF)

specialk

Post by specialk » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:23 am

I had one sheet of 3/4, one sheet of 1/2 and one sheet of 3/8...left over.. ok I used my extra 3/4 sheet to build my console... I knew... I would have rod holders and other stuff on it... so I wanted it beefy...
You have some left overs...from every sheet... so what I did was use the leftovers.. to frame up my bulk heads, and compartments...if you go back in my build you can see some of the strips... that I cut out, and made these compartments with... yes it is extra work.. and you might have to put extra framing here are there... so that's the trade off...
My extra 1/2 came from the front of the inside deck...my thinking was most of it.. is support for the gas tank.. so I used two layers of the left overs of 1/4 and epoxied top and bottom and spilt the joints up...I am 6'-2" and weight 320lbs... I did weight 360lbs... "and what does that have to do with boat building"... I can run around my deck.. and with a 45" red fish on... you will never find a soft spot on my boat...
OK went back and looked at my Pic... I never put these in the build...

My FF is 18'-6'... if you stretch to 19-? you will probably need those extra sheets...

I hope this helps... and you can make sense of what I am saying... if not let me know... if I was to build this again.. I would buy all the sheets it tells you need...!
Attachments
20141228_153422.jpg
20141230_120758.jpg
2nd Boat.....?

Return to “Hankinson designs”