Flats Flyer Build in S.C.

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Capin

Re: Flats Flyer Build in S.C.

Post by Capin » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:49 pm

I am interested in building one for use on a freshwater lake in Virginia. Wouldn't need the poling platform but would need a trolling motor on front. I think the plans said 3-4 passengers. Do ya'll think that's the safe limit or could it maybe handle one more?

specialk

Post by specialk » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:13 am

I have had 4 grown men...all pushing 250#...on my Flyer with no issues. ...
You have plenty of room up front to add a trolling motor and bracket. ..and a seat mount. ..if you need
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

Capin

Post by Capin » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:32 pm

Thanks Kelly. I have read other builders of this boat talking about needing spray rails. Did you put them on yours? I ordered the building with plywood book can't wait to get it.

specialk

Post by specialk » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:07 am

I did not put the spray rails on this boat...
Now I need to be honest. ...
In any think more that a 1ft. chop...there is some spray. ..
A 2ft chop...you will get wet...

I love the look of this boat...and just did not want to change it....just my two cents...
2nd Boat.....?

Capin

Post by Capin » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:00 pm

Kelly it is a beautiful boat. I been reading my boat building with plywood book trying to get my head wrapped around what I'm getting into before I get too far along and I have a few questions. How did you join your sheets of plywood on the bottom and sides? You used 2 sheets of 1/4 on the bottom I assume you offset your joints? I looked through your pics and couldn't tell for sure. Thanks for your help and anybody else that may have some. Also are the spray rails in the plans? Hank.

specialk

Post by specialk » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:57 am

I went with the simple method. ...I spliced my plywood between the frames...and added backer pieces. ..that was the first layer...second layer ...joined in another spot...
So just break in different areas. ..will look and see if I can find a picture. ..
2nd Boat.....?

Capin

Post by Capin » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:56 pm

Thanks Kelly. That makes sense. I don't remember seeing a good picture of your finished transom, did you go with two drains or one? Did you do the live well you were talking of? Thanks again. Hank

specialk

Post by specialk » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:59 am

You want to definitely use a drain on each side ...
OK with that been said...not sure you will do much fishing at night...but I have drain plug lights...I also use them to dip shrimp ..they light up really good...so don't Forget to run you some power back there...
I still have the two hatches that I could turn into a live well...but just haven't done it...have a very nice cooler set up though. .it also helps making fast exits from the polling platform...
2nd Boat.....?

Dandaman

Post by Dandaman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:14 am

Jelly, I’m around the corner from you in Prosperity, and contemplating this build. What do you like/dislike about this build?

specialk

Post by specialk » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:26 am

This question has been asked alot...my answer is always the same...I love everything about this boat...we fished from one end of Lake Murray to the other...got a few looks ..when we pull up to Liberties on the lake...

We have moved to Port St John Florida. ..or I would say let's go for a ride...
2nd Boat.....?

Dandaman

Post by Dandaman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:16 pm

That is a bummer, I would have enjoyed that! I am mostly wanting to fish down on the coast, not much on freshwater fishing. Also you might be the only other person in the world that I know of who dips shrimp under lights! Glad to know I'm not crazy. The biggest thing I am having trouble judging from pictures and plans is the size of the back deck. I want to have room to have someone fishing from it, is yours big enough for that? Also curious how you feel the boat handles in rougher water and what motor you're running on it? Hope that's not too many questions!

specialk

Post by specialk » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:32 pm

We have fished of the back...me on one side...wife on other...when we dip shrimp...wife stays up front...and I run around like a crazy person. ...
I have a 60hp..4stroke on it...and with my wife and I I will run 28 mph...
With anything more than a foot and a half chop...you will get wet...so we just slow down. ..
I took this boat out of Sebastian Inlet into 8ft sea"s....I wanted to know what this boat could do...and can't do...when your between two huge waves and can only see walls of water.....with the radio very loud...
Will say I was proud of my build...

We fished a good bit..north of Charleston. .in Bulls Bay...
My wife and I both love it there...would camp and fish for weeks at a time...
2nd Boat.....?

Dandaman

Post by Dandaman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:52 pm

I think I am going to add spray rails...I know I know it will ruin the Look...I'm not always smart enough to come in especially if the fish are biting lol

specialk

Post by specialk » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:59 pm

Not a think wrong with spray rails...
I tried to pull up a few old pictures. ..but I am working on my phone...and it won't let me do it...
2nd Boat.....?

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:16 pm

Did you have to extend your battens or chine logs? I dont have anything long enough and I think the chine logs will end up around 23 feet
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

Consider what God has done: Who can straighten what he has made crooked? Ecc 7:13 :)

Return to “Hankinson designs”