Flats Flyer Build in S.C.

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

vupilot

Re: Flats Flyer Build in S.C.

Post by vupilot »

Coming along really nicely. I like the paint color. Great looking motor you found too! Thanks for the updates, fun build to watch.

specialk

Post by specialk »

Thank you Vupilot

It is a good boat for your first build...I thought I would be closer to the finish line..but a few issues and life got in the way...The motor is a dream come true... had been talking with a few boat shops,, letting them know what I was looking for..and boat owner came in in to repower his pontoon...and I had me a motor ...It is the BigFoot so the bottom end is a 115hp so I can run a bigger prop... I am going to try this prop..and see how it proforms before I think about buy a new one...

Thanks again for checking out the build

Kelly Building the Flats Flyer
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

It really looks like a good find, I know all too well how hard a good used outboard can be to come by. My motor also came off a pontoon. I could tell yours did too by the prop shape. I bet you wont run that prop very long after you try it. Its for pushing heavy loads at relatively slow speeds so pontoon props have long, wide blades with low pitch (twist). On your boat that prop will accelerate really quickly but wont give you much top speed. I've found in these wood boats that since ours are usually so much lighter than factory built fiberglass boats of similar size that you almost always need a little more prop than the factory boat. If you look at prop charts for your motor just take that info and error on the high side. Both of my Glen-L boats are running 1" pitch more than the stock prop for the motor.

specialk

Post by specialk »

Yes this prop and pitch thing is somthing I will have to read up on...if someone knows of a good read please let me know...a friend told me that some boat shops will let you try a few props .. and then you can buy the one you like..But talking with the shop that helped me get this and checked out the motor...His props are all in the $450 to $750 range...I have seen some on Ebay...discount Marine shops on the enter-web... for $200 to $300 .. so will try reading up and pick one to use... and then maybe in a year get a second one to try... I can always keep one as a back up...

This boat will live its life 6" from oyster shells .. so a extra prop would not be a bad thing...

Thanks again Vupilot.. for looking at my build and thanks everyone with all the help...I am at the point where my wife is checking my budget like a true bean counter...so I can not afford to make a mistake.. and I thank her for doing so.. or I could get carried away....

kelly Building the Flats Flyer...come on flip...
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk »

Ok I have been holding out on everyone... so I am coming clean...

She is ready to FLIP....woohoo
Attachments
Boat.jpg
2nd Boat.....?

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Good luck with your flip. Paint looks great.
Its amazing what a good prop shop can do. Also they may be more likely to let you try a couple different reconditioned props before you commit to one. A quick internet search turned up this shop that I think is near you.

http://www.customweldingfab.com/the--prop-shop-.html

Here are some good basic articles on propellers. I like the first article because it also focuses some on diameter which is just as important as pitch. The second article is really good and has more info about number of blades, cupping, rake and diameter. Good reading.

http://www.boatingmag.com/how-to/unders ... ller-pitch
http://www.propellerworld.co.uk/Prop_Ba ... s_wor.html
http://www.formulapropeller.com/propellers.html

specialk

Post by specialk »

Vupilot... thanks for all the Info ..I did not know that prop shop was there ...plus all the good info on props...

The paint color I picked from scuba diving in the ocean... there is a inlet in Florida called Sebastine Inlet..when I was younger..I would dive the inlet and get the lures and lead that got hung up in the rocks... and sell back to the fisherman...I noticed from looking up at the boats going through the inlet..the few that had green bottom were hard to see.. So this is my saltwater camo color...

Kelly ,,, Building the Flats Flyer...with the help from all the good people on this Fourm
Last edited by specialk on Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk »

I had a few hour to work on the boat..got a good start on the cradle ..for the flip...still needs work..Sunday will be the big day ..got some friends coming over...Y'all wish us luck...this boat has become my baby...!!!
Attachments
Cradle.jpg
Last edited by specialk on Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk »

I thought I could flip the boat in side my shop... but found out it would be to close to the rafters .... so after a few more measurements ..found out that it would not fit though the door...so I took out a few studs and cut out some T-1-11...and opened up the door...I was able to pick up the boat ..and put it on sawhorses ..with the help of my wife..when took apart the building jig...and got it ready for the flip the next morning...

Kelly Building the Flats Flyer
Attachments
out side.jpg
cut out.png
Boat.jpg
Last edited by specialk on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2nd Boat.....?

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Looking great. Good luck with the flip. Always an exciting time and a great milestone.
:)
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

specialk

Post by specialk »

Thanks Carl..
the flip went without any problems..It is amazing what you can accomplish with "FREE BEER" and chilly..... I have a lot of pictures ..will have to send them to my computer... and will post tomorrow..

Thanks for checkin out the build...kelly
2nd Boat.....?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Good going Kelly!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

specialk

Post by specialk »

Thanks Bill

The Flip is a great mildstone ..(a quote I stole from Carl) ...and has me looking at the finish line..I have a video of the flip but just a few pictures..so will post the best ones for now...till I can find out how to pull snap shots off video...the main thing is it went without any issues...I still have to frame in my door to the barn... I think I will make a removable panel that I can just lag bolt in place...that way when the boat is ready to be put on trailor.. I will not have the same problem...

As soon as all the company left I went to work...got all belt sander out and started sanding the gunwales level... wife got in boat started sanding the inside so we could epoxy and start painting..this weekend I will plane all the wood down for the framing of the inside of the boat...I already have the gas tank with guage..Nav lights.. and a lot of wire..

I need another 2x6 for framing in the motor well...how does everyone feel about clear fir... if I use fir..it will be coated in epoxy and the painted with epoxy paint..my other choice is to drive 2hrs to get cypress and I will do that just want to get some work on boat
Attachments
20141214_100724.jpg
20141214_100801.jpg
20141215_153710.jpg
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk »

I know it is a couple of days early...But...

Merry Christmas...

everyone...and thanks for looking at the Flats Flyer being built in a barn in Gaston South Carolina
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk »

I hope Santa brought everbody all the boat things everone was wishing for...

I had to work 4 days through Christmas..but had several days off at New Years...so this is a few things I got finished...I put some under coating on the gas tank ...installed it in the boat...got my holes for Nav. lights cut out ..framed in the bulkheads in the bow of the boat...did some painting ...and all of the wires ran for the lights..gas tank sending unit..and speakers in front of boat...next I need to frame in the deck and run gas line... and the front deck will be ready for plywood...

Kelly Building the Flats Flyer...
Attachments
Gas tank.jpg
Bulk heads.jpg
2nd Boat.....?

Return to “Hankinson designs”