Flats Flyer Build in S.C.

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

specialk

Re: Flats Flyer Build in S.C.

Post by specialk »

I layed out the front hatches..so I could start the decking...got that done...and got a nice set of console controls for Christmas...

thanks everyone for helping me in the building of this boat...
My wife and I have found the perfect name...Free-n-Clear
Attachments
boat.jpg
Hatch Layout.jpg
Boat Controls.jpg
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Post by tcough »

It's looking great Kelly.

I plan on using the same type of hatch lids as you are. I think they look very clean and will get me finished sooner.

Have you thought about floatation foam locations yet?
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

specialk

Post by specialk »

Good morning All

Tracy I have a couple of places for the foam..up front ..were I have the two hatches..I put a leager board across both bulkheads ..and in the future, I plan to run decking across them..I think if I use small width boards with tounge and groove...I can still get them in..and under that deck I will put foam... under the motor well.. and I think the two outer sides, under the floor deck.. in the sides of the boat on the plan that area is boxed in...so you could fill that up...on my boat, I have built in rod storage in there..which after the flip I check out how that would work.. and all is good...
Just so you know I got the hatches at the place in Ft. Peirce...I thought about building them..and I would have so much time in them..that the $79 for the big size and $39 for the smaller ones seemed like a deal...

I have some pic.. I will send them to computer in the next day or two..have to do the.. Wed, Thus...Fri.. thing at the Hosiptal...
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Post by tcough »

Looking forward to more pics. I'm always watching to see what you post for your build and keeping all your experiences in mind as I progress. Hoping to get all the frames finished this weekend and maybe the transom. Then it's the building form!
Happy Boating,
Tracy

specialk

Post by specialk »

Tracy... I may be preaching to the choir...but take your time when you lay out your cuts...you can cut out both transoms..all 3 breasthooks..3 transom knees.. and the 2 breast stem..the little tringle pcs. out of two sheets of 3/4 plywood..I just cut my 3rd pcs of 3/4 for the bottom of the motor well and had some scraps for the sides...so spend a little time ..make a couple copy's of patterns.. it will save you in the end...I used cardboard and newspaper..just so i could get a idea... of the better way to cut stuff out...

All my cut were solid...

Do you know about top..and bottom bearing router bits..?

I set my Polling Platform up so I could lay out the motor well ...got my measurements..I used 2x6 cypress .. I wanted plenty of wood to bolt that platfoms to...I still need to add the 2 pcs. of 3/4 on the in side of the motor well to make it 3" solid...I know this is a sloppy picture..but I wanted to include it..on the plans it is drawn a little different...

I will start working on the center console..I have enough 3/4 plwood to make my sides..the font and back will be 3/8..I might have to double up the area were the steering goes...?...

I have my steering cables..streering wheel..and helm...control console..just bought the wiring harness for my motor...I got a really nice radio..last summer ..it was on sale at a west marine..in Jacksonville Fla.... so ready to get the floor down ..and console up ...
Attachments
Polling Platform.jpg
MotorWell.jpg
Last edited by specialk on Mon May 04, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Post by tcough »

Still looking great Kelly. I like the way your platform looks, I can't wait to get as far as you have.

I've been making much use out of my bottom bearing bits to clean up the gussets.

I haven't tried fitting them up, but how did your frames 5&6 fit up with your stem? As the stem is beveled on both sides during fairing, did the patterns take that into account when making the frames? I was just wondering as I get closer to the building form stage. I know I need to attach those two frames to the stem before placing on the building form, but just curious.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

specialk

Post by specialk »

Tracy

The frames and stem will line up perfect... after you get your building jig built..at sometime pull strings..or straight edges...to get all your frames lined up...(I almost said level ) I had a little trouble getting my stem with frames to line up straight with the notches on the plan...I am sure the plan is correct and it was me...
With all that I did my transom was still about 5/16 low.. I did build this up with woven mat fiberglass, and epoxy.. and it is great now..perfectly flat..!
So ...I am telling you this so you will not make my MISTAKE...pull strings get everything lined up ...top and bottom..all four sides... and your keel...

OK this is were I messed up.. brace everything...not sure if you have ever set trusses...but ..with that in mind...Brace well ...you will be leaning ...cutting ...sliding full sheets of plwood..across the bottom of the Boat.. and I did not brace my transom very well... and it cost me time and money...I feel like I am in Therapy... :lol:

If you need a better e-mail or phone number..PM me..
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Post by tcough »

Kelly,

I found a discrepancy in the plans and wanted to see what you did on your build. According to the plans, sheet 4 of 4 calls out the chine as 3/4" x 2" but the bill of materials call out 3/4" x 1 3/4". I'm getting ready to cut the notches in the frames when I noticed this. What did you use for your chine log?
Happy Boating,
Tracy

specialk

Post by specialk »

I made mine 2' wide... when I bought my Cypress... It was rough cut .. so I was able to plane my boards to 7/8 thick...and I ripped all my pieces to true width... I think there was some that I planed to 5/8 but can not remember were..
The battens for the deck called for 2 1/4... But I had all ready ripped everything to 2" .. and my Keel was a true 4"..

But good catch on that measurements...

I have been working on the deck of the boat...putting in all the conduit for the electrical wiring... some extra blocking...I put my floor joist on 12" centers...I think on the plan it calls for 18"... (my wife says I over build everything)...and because I have the rod storage in the sides...I had to put blocking that would carry the plywood deck...if the cold weather keeps up here..I will start building the center console...to cold to epoxy...or do any fiberglsssing...
Last edited by specialk on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
2nd Boat.....?

Soloboat

Post by Soloboat »

Looking good. Talk about over building, Guilty, all the lumber in the hull of my boat was true size and where I departed from the plan stuff was built like the proverbial brick -------. Keep up the good work
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

specialk

Post by specialk »

I have beed so lucky on this build...one of the Doctors, I work with at the hospital..his father owns a Cypress saw mill... they only mill cypress and make mulch...every board I got he let me cherry pick all I wanted and I got the family discount...my 2x6 started as 10quarter by 7 1/2 so when I finished planing them down..they were true 2x6 ..

I want a good foundation for that polling platform... I am hoping I can get all this blocking and elec. stuff run ...so I can put the plwood deck down...

I have ordered more epoxy, floation foam, primer, paint and non-skid paint...the front, middle and back deck..will all be Hatteras White...I have all the control harness, shifter cables, steering cable, fuse box, switches, Nav lights, builge pumps, fuel lines, fuel filter, .. I had no idea all this stuff went in a boat...I hope it still floats....

thanks for looking at the build will get some pictures this weekend....
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk »

OK not alot going on... this electrical stuff is killing me...I had my conduit run, then realized..I forgot the control harness,,, and battery cables...SO I had to make room for them...now that seems simple enuff... But there is no room...

So a couple of beers later... I took it all out.. upgraded two of the pipes... and added a couple of 1" pipes and I think I have it all in there...I did not know a boat could have so much wire in it... I have build cabins that did not have this much wire...

This Past Sunday 2/8 it was so nice temp 72 sunny and with a heater and afew lights got my shop up to 86 ..so I put in some floatation foam...I got 4 of the 6 cavities done...now the weather people say our highs for the next 6 days or in the 40s...so no foaming... will just do some laying out of future stuff..I have to have the center console deck down before I can move on to decking the front or back...

Will double check my elec. conduits for the 4th time just to make sure...I can work on the center console..cut it out and start building it.. through this cold snap...

I took my polling platform to a welding shop.. for some modifcation.... they are adding a place to put my stern light..and a rod holder... I have been working some overtime so bought two nice #29 batteries..that should keep me in power on long night fishing trips...will get some pictures soon what I have been doing... not really picture worthy right now...THanks for looking at the build...
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk »

This is a picture of the FINAL elec. lay out...all conduits in... blocking done.. for access hatches... and floatation foam started
Attachments
20150211_143049.jpg
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk »

I wanted to show my nice fllet work and rod holders...I have both sides and rod holders fiberglassed.. that way when I lay the decking down... I can let my fiberglass run up the sides a couple of inches...
Attachments
20150211_143119.jpg
2nd Boat.....?

specialk

Post by specialk »

On the next warm day.. I will fill in all the small voids and the last compartmentwith floatation foam...
Attachments
20150211_143138.jpg
2nd Boat.....?

Return to “Hankinson designs”