Building the Chinnok, Add 25% in Length?

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Mikeyz44

Building the Chinnok, Add 25% in Length?

Post by Mikeyz44 »

Hi I was wondering if it was possible to add about 25% to the Chinook. Instead of it being 19' I would like it to be about 25' long.
I am just now wanting to get into boat building, and I was wondering if this would be possible. I know there is a 20' 6'' option, but I would like to make it 25' long. Also, I would use this boat on Lake Erie, and maybe some other great lakes so I was wondering what some of your thoughts would be. Any help would be great, Thanks.

jprice

Re: Building the Chinnok, Add 25% in Length?

Post by jprice »

The recommendation is usually 10% max. (for designs that even support being extended)
What about a similar model that's already close to the size you're looking for? Like the Olympian, True Grit, or Nor'Wester?

John B

Post by John B »

jprice wrote:The recommendation is usually 10% max. (for designs that even support being extended)
What about a similar model that's already close to the size you're looking for? Like the Olympian, True Grit, or Nor'Wester?
Hello,

This is John at Glen-L. I just want to emphasize to you that we do NOT recommend lengthening (nor shortening) our designs by more than 10%.

Many years of education and experience goes into designing our boats, and there can be many unforeseen issues/problems when someone makes a radical change to a design, as you are considering doing.

We hope you'll heed jprice's suggestion and select a different design which is closer to the size boat you seem to be interested in. Then you'll be confident that the boat that is keeping you and your passengers from having to swim home will be safe and perform as it's intended.

John B
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting as to what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the result of the vote.

galamb

Post by galamb »

If you are looking for a big water boat in a design similar to the Chinook you might want to have a look at the Cuddy Sport.

It's also one of Ken's designs so kinda has the same "flavour".

It is 24' long, unmodified and can be stretched to a little over 26'.

My avatar has "my rendition" of the cuddy sport, stretched to 25' 8" with the addition of an "Alaska cabin" to make it more user friendly longer in the season.

Do some thinking - 24-26' is a lot of boat and I am still working on mine. It's more work than you might initially imagine and life tends to get in the way during the build. I am ready to turn the hull, but took me 4 years to get there. If you don't have a building that can handle that size of hull you are at the mercy of the elements (I am working outside, and when the weather co-operates you are busy with something else and vice versa).

But the boat is going to be awesome when she is done.
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Mikeyz44

Post by Mikeyz44 »

Alright, thanks a lot for your guy's help. I'm thinking that the True Grit 27' option might be the one I'm looking for. How would this handle on the Great Lakes? I particularly Lake Erie?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Mikey

You might look at the Eagle or Double Eagle. They both are proven blue water boats. The True Grit is a great boat. But, it is a semi-displacement design. So, speed is limited a lot.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Mikeyz44

Post by Mikeyz44 »

Ok, Would the 22' Eagle still be good enough for cruising on the Great Lakes? In particular Lake Erie?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Mikey

Unless you do something stupid, the boat will be fine. Kens takes his Double eagle out in the Atlantic on a regular basis.

Rule of thumb is that a boat can handle waves equal to its beam. So, if you want to go out in seas greater than 8 feet you need to be good. But, 8 feet is no fun in a 22' boat.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

dmac

Post by dmac »

Here is what one builder of the 23' Double Eagle, stretched to 25', had to say about her big water (5' to 6' waves) performance:

AgnesR is powered by a 90 hp 1989 Mercury 2 stroke outboard motor. She has a top speed of 24 knots but we cruise at either 14 knots as a semi-displacement hull or at 8 to 10 knots as a displacement hull. She is very comfortable in any sea conditions in which we have tried her, very soft riding with no pounding. The North Channel is considered to be "world class" cruising waters, with its many islands. These islands, however, bring with their beauty and protection, some very complex wave patterns when the winds pick up, as they do most sunny afternoons. Our deep V owner friends are amazed at her soft, sure ride in 5 or 6 foot waves. We can comfortably run at 14 knots in these conditions, easily outrunning our deep V friends who speed past us in calm waters.

Mikeyz44

Post by Mikeyz44 »

I actually really like the look of the 23' Raven. What do you guys think of it?

Return to “Hankinson designs”