Extending the Tahoe 23 to 24'2"

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

DonnD

Extending the Tahoe 23 to 24'2"

Postby DonnD » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:34 pm

I have received the plans and instructions for the Tahoe 23. Having poured over it for the past few weeks, the instructions are quite explicit about notch placement on the stringers to change boat length by 15" but is not clear whether or not the stringer itself needs to be lengthened by 15 inches. I assume so but, as is the case with most assumptions, they can get you into trouble pretty quickly. Any and all responses appreciated. Also, any guidance anyone might have of complications they faced by lengthening would be welcomed.

neel thompson

Re: Extending the Tahoe 23 to 24'2"

Postby neel thompson » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:03 am

When I stretched my Gentry, the stringers had to be longer by the total length of the stretch. I only increased distances between frames aft of the frame connected to the aft end of the stringer. The Tahoe is a different animal altogether, but I would think the stretch is aft of the stem so as not to change the lines of the bow. I think the biggest challenge with stretching was to find the right location for the motor/transmission to keep the CB where it belongs. There is a big discussion about this somewhere in my build thread (My Gentry Build). I know there are Tahoe builders on the forum who stretched the design, so you will most likely be getting more specific advice. Best of luck with your build,,, Neel

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:05 pm

Yes, Neel is correct. All of the longitudinals will have to be lengthened...

DonnD

Postby DonnD » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Thanks very much Neel and Gayle. Much appreciated. I have read the discussion on motor positioning and CB. That was very helpful and quite thorough.

Cheers,

Donn

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:43 pm

The motor stringers and keel all get stretched. On the 19 I think it is to frame 8. It may be frame 9 on the 23 footer. KH numbers his frames from the transom as I remember.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:45 pm

Donn

The motor placement is better slightly back than forward.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DonnD

Postby DonnD » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:37 am

Thanks Bill. Much appreciated.

I will be using 90 year old tight grain, clear DF for the motor stringers (salvaged from the original floor joists of our remodeled 90 yo house). Beautiful wood. I do have a question whether or not there is a preferred location for a scarf joint in the motor stringers. e.g. Best between frame X and X? Also, any guidance regarding whether to laminate motor stringers with ply or not would be most welcomed as well. The instructions seem to be biased towards doing so to promote rigidity/stability but I do not see it in most of the posts and blogs.

Again, so grateful for this forum.

Donn

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:24 pm

Donn

I laminated my stringers. I didn't use a plywood layer. Each scarf joint was not under the engine, where the weight is. The joints for each of the pieces don't line up with each other. My thoughts on laminating the stringers is that they are more stable and that any flaws in the wood don't line up with each other.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

DonnD

Postby DonnD » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:56 pm

Makes perfect sense Bill. Thanks.

Donn

DonnD

Postby DonnD » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:42 pm

Well, its been a long while (a few health scares, demands of work and family, getting a proper shop arranged and reacquainting myself with long idle tools) but I have finally completed assembly of the frames, transom and stem. It's been fun - a great project indeed.

I have notched all the frames (except 9 and 10) per the instructions for the chine log. But I do have a few questions about the keel and sheer/deck log notches and am hopeful someone can share their experiences to help resolve.

Re the keel notch, there seems to be a conflict between the plans (p 4 of 4) and the instructions. No doubt I am reading / interpreting it wrong. But the plans call for a keel dimension of 2 1/2" x 4" while the instructions call for it to be made "from two layers of 1/2 " X 4" stock applied a layer at a time". Any and all advice guidance would be appreciated. At immediate issue is how deep to cut the notches in the frames.

Re the sheer / deck log notches, the plans have "typical" for stern (A), midship (B) and bow frames (C). I assume "A" applies to the transom and frames 1, 2,and 3; "B" to frames 4, 5 and 6; and "C" to frames 7 through 10. Again, any suggestions/comments appreciated.

Donn

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:05 pm

Donn
On the plans it reads "2 - 1/2x4" where "-" is read as "of", so "2 of 1/2 x 4". Likewise on sheet 4 where it discusses the side layers it reads "3 - 1/8" it reads as 3 layers of 1/8. I hope I have explained that clearly.
As for the sheer and deck notches simply (mark them out/cut them out) as per full size plans. The cross sections are really giving you an idea of how the sheer will change when faired and the need for extra peices of timber to be added to the inside of the sheeer near the bow and the outside of the sheer near the stern due to fairing. Hope this is helpful.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:13 pm

Donn
P.S. When it comes time to fit the sheer it will become evident where you have to fit the extra layers.
I must admit, having never built a boat before, it took me a long time to get my head around the sheer point and these notches and how I was going to cut them out correctly.
Tony Hain

DonnD

Postby DonnD » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:42 am

Thanks Tony. Much appreciated. Perfectly clear (and I do feel a little foolish given how straight forward the resolution).

I must say I have been following your build with great interest - very impressive work. An inspiration. I have spent a good deal of time in Australia - mostly Melbourne, some in Brisbane, Adelaide and Sydney. Accumulated time probably 18 months total and one of my all time favorite places.

Thanks again,

Donn

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:11 pm

No worries Donn and thank you for your kind word. It is amazing how you can look at things for ages and not see it, but suddenly the penny drops! It has happened to me on the build many times.
Tony Hain

DonnD

Postby DonnD » Tue May 24, 2016 12:44 pm

Well, I have been making considerable progress... and it's been an absolute ball. All the frames built and in place, stem transom completed and dry fitted. I have also continued to closely follow, enjoy, and benefit from all of the posts. This forum is incredibly helpful and I can't tell you all how much I appreciate it.

I have come to the point where a little counsel would be helpful. I am making the final adjustments to the notches to dry fit the keel and set the height of the stem connection. If anyone can share their perspective on what the depth of the keel notches in the frames should be, I'd be very grateful. Where I have it now is about 3/8 (half of the first lamination) to accommodate what I anticipate the fairing requirements of the finished keel to be (particularly in frames 7 and 8).

Again, sure glad this forum exists. Thanks in advance for your experience and advice.

Donn

BTW, I have progress photos to post but can't seem to figure out how to upload - I'll continue to research and post separately.

D

Return to “Hankinson designs”