Extending the Tahoe 23 to 24'2"

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

DonnD

Re: Extending the Tahoe 23 to 24'2"

Post by DonnD »

Found a useful set of instructions in the forum to post some photos.
Donn's tahoe build May 24 2016 #1.jpg

DonnD

Post by DonnD »

Donn's tahoe build May 24 2016 #2.jpg
Transom brackets.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I wonder how many times as an engineer and from boat building that I've been baffled? Then I wake at 3 a.m. and say, "OH! That's how that works!" Then I go back to sleep.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gap998

Post by gap998 »

Bill Edmundson wrote:I wonder how many times as an engineer and from boat building that I've been baffled? Then I wake at 3 a.m. and say, "OH! That's how that works!" Then I go back to sleep.

Bill
I seem to recall that was part of the syllabus in University! A valuable tool I still use today. :lol:
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

DonnD

Post by DonnD »

Oh so true Bill! I wish I could think more like an engineer - no doubt my abilities to visualize and problem solve would be much the better for it.

I thought I'd share my key learnings of the project to date:

1. Don't rush, be patient and be as precise as you can be, particularly on the layout board. The small errors I made there have accentuated to what may prove to be impactful down the road. I have had not jut a few "miracle recoveries" (love that phrase Bill... and the mindset it infers :D ), most minor, one pretty major - inverting the 30 degree bevel on the sides of the transom. I'm still kicking myself for that brain fart but did ultimately recover without having to start the transom from scratch so all is well. If I had just slowed down a bit and been a bit more precise in both planning and execution, I'd be farther along than I am.
2. I used mdf to create templates that I used to trim rout the mahogany frames and am very glad I did. It proved to be much easier to sand down to the mark (after a rough cut using the band saw) and ensured that both port and starboard frames were identical... and my "miracle recoveries" were a lot less expensive.
3. I wish I had constructed the building form to be higher (see Tony Hain's building form). I am not yet to the point of laying the sheer but I have no doubt that working at the height as it currently stands will be a challenge.
4. If I had it to do all over again, I probably would not have cut the keel and chine notches until after they had been fixed to the motor stringers. There is a good deal of beveling and "fine tuning" that needs to be done after mounting and, in retrospect, might have been easier if done from scratch in position. There are pros and cons of both I suspect, but for me I think I would have rather cut them once mounted to the stringers.
5. 24 ft is a BIG boat!. I've had the fortune to ride in 20+ ft boats many times before. But until you see it up side down from stem to stern, it's hard to appreciate just how big 24 ft really is. That being said, I have zero regrets. I am certain it's the right boat for me and my family and the absolutely beautiful lines of the Tahoe bring a smile every time I take a step back and look.

Thanks again to all who post to this forum. It's invaluable.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Donn

I can't think of how many have helped me over the years! Remember! you give back by helping someone else! This forum is about giving back. I often wonder how did I know how I knew to do something? Someone gave it to me sometime. Everybody here gives.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain »

Donn
It's looking good. Even with my building frame height it was still low work on shaping the sheer notches, but any higher and I would not have been able to reach the keel. One thing I would have done if I was doing it again would be to drill the shaft hole and rudder holes before planking. (See Roberta"s torpedo build). This does mean you would have to buy the prop strut etc first so you can prepare the surfaces where they are placed on the keel before fairing the keel itself. You don't have to. You can do it after planking like I did but I think it would be easier in the long run.
Regards Tony
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen »

If you think it's big now wait until
You turn it over. You'll think it doubled in size :lol: :lol:
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

gap998

Post by gap998 »

DonnD wrote:Oh so true Bill! I wish I could think more like an engineer - no doubt my abilities to visualize and problem solve would be much the better for it.
Your doing fine Donn - In my experience in engineering thinking like an engineer often just gives you the ability to over-complicate a problem before your wife solves it by saying "why don't you just do this... and I haven't got a degree!" :lol:

Keep the photos coming.
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

DonnD

Post by DonnD »

Well, it's been a while but after a few heart operations, and just life in general, I finally returned to what I warmly call "my little project" about 4 months ago. I have continued to follow the forum over the period and continue to be inspired by Roberta, Tony Hain, Tom B, Brad Tucker and many others. My thanks to all who contribute.

I have completed the first 2 layers of planking on the bottom and am starting the sides and transom planking and do have a question. Should the transom be stuffed with flotation before enclosing and, if so, what is the most suitable flotation material (block, foam, other)? I've read a good number of discussions on flotation material generally but not specific to the transom. It seems to me to be the easiest time to do so, but...... Sure would appreciate any advice/suggestions/tips.

In the meantime, a couple of learnings I thought I'd share:

1) I followed Tony's advice to follow Roberta's lead and did drill the propeller shaft hole in advance of planking and it went very well. I'd recommend it. I'll try to post some photos soon.
2) Raptor staples are more than worth the price.
3) I have seem many builders use what is in effect a half sheet of plywood from the transom forward and did so as well. I personally found it to be a bit cumbersome and somewhat wasteful. For the second layer, I simply started with 24" wide planks for the first 4 or so and then gradually narrowed to 8" then 6" etc ending with 2" planks at the bow.
4) I found it critical to start with a very precise 45 degree angle when planking. If it is off even very slightly, it compounds and you'll end up (as I did on my first try) having to re calibrate the angle as you move forward and made maintaining a precise CL more difficult.

I'm generally happy with the end results but thought I'd share nonetheless. Continue to have an absolute blast.

Thanks, again to all.

Donn

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Welcome back! Glad you are feeling better and working on your little project again.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

TomB

Post by TomB »

Donn,

Welcome back. And thanks for the kind inspiration words. Many a mom has used me for inspiration with the phrase "behave yourself or you might grow up like Tom".

I too used a large sheets aft. On two layers I ripped the sheet to about 3'x8' so it covered from CL to chine, found the center point of the sheet and then cut a 45* through the center point. Half the sheet went to each side and set up the 45* angle for the rest of the bottom. On the third layer I clipped the corner off two 3'x8' sheets. If I had it to do again, I would clip the corner on all three layers to start with bigger pieces. No help for you but maybe inspiration for the next builder. :wink: :wink:

I have a sheet of 2" rigid foam used for below grade insulation. It isn't long term UV stable, but I used pieces to fit in the scalloped section of my transom. I reasoned that it would be extremely difficult to get flotation in there later, and very little UV light would get past the deck, fuel tank, and through the drain holes. So I would put something back there.

I am surprised how big these boats are while planking. I suspect I'll be surprised how small they are when it's time for mechanicals.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker »

Donn,

I am glad to see you're back at it! I hope all is well.

I didn't put flotation in the transom because I was concerned about water retention. I cut limbers into the crossmembers so any water that miraculously found its way it could exit.

Keep us posted! I lurk a lot these days, but most folks answer questions better than I can anyway.

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain »

Donn
I know what it is like to have to sit on the bench for a while while you would rather be in the game. I'm of two minds about foam in the transom that you can never get to. But which ever way you go make sure you have thought through where your exhaust is located. I'm putting mine out the side like Butch did on his Tahoe.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

DonnD

Post by DonnD »

Thanks to all for the comments and advice. This forum is incredible and I am so grateful that it exists.

I think I will put 2" rigid foam in the below water line sections of the transom. I should note that I have followed Bill's oft repeated suggestion and drilled drain holes in the transom cross members. And while I love the look of the Butch B side exhaust vents noted by Tony and aspire to follow suit, I have, just in case, cut out exhaust ports as many other builders have.

I'll work to collect photos and post asap.

Cheers,

Donn

Return to “Hankinson designs”