Flats Flyer Build in Orlando

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

specialk

Re: Flats Flyer Build in Orlando

Postby specialk » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:38 am

Tracy... want about the pictures....

still planning to be in Long Point camp ground Sept.18 -27... with my boat...!
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Postby tcough » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:10 pm

I haven't been posting much lately but have been following everyone and working on the build. Screwed up a little and looking for guidance/suggestions. I steamed the chines (what a difference that makes when trying to wrap those around the frames) and attached them to the stem. I guess because they bent so easily, I wasn't paying attention to how they looked until today. I cut the chine frame notch to high on the frame and now have a situation where there is no place to attach the bottom ply in the forward portion before frame 5 (shown below)

image2.jpeg

Now I have a severe bend in the chine as seen here.

image1.jpeg

Question is: do I pull all the screws out, break the epoxy bond, and reinstall OR can I put a sister piece on the inside of the chine and widen it to accommodate the bottom planking? I'd have to sister it between 4 & 5 as well as between 5 & 6. After putting the sister on, I could then fair the chine without fear of the chine breaking.

Comments and thoughts greatly appreciated.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

tcough

Postby tcough » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:11 pm

And Kelly, hope to see you the second weekend. I have the 25th off, shouldn't be too many on the water then.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:24 am

Tracy,

You may have already moved past this, but the instructions do note that a piece of ply needs to be added to the chine for additional thickness for fastening the planking. It looks like sistering will be fine. Make sure to make it the same on each side of the boat so it looks fair when sighting from the bow to transom.
Gayle Brantuk
Vice President
Glen-L Marine
Visit our Blog & Create Your Own!

tcough

Postby tcough » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:40 pm

Thanks Gayle, I've started adding the sister, but haven't finished yet. I have yet to add the plywood doubler on the chine as well as the 3rd (inner) strip on the shear, hopefully this weekend will allow it. Have had a lot of rain in Central Florida, so now I'm behind on the mowing. Wish we could send some of this rain out your way. Wood working is my outlet for the day-to-day stress from the job, and with end of year projects being rushed out, I need to decompress.

Hope to join Kelly (Special K) next week and check out his build of the Flats Flyer.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

tcough

Postby tcough » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Had a great time with SpecialK yesterday afternoon and got a ride on his boat. He's done an excellent job and one to be very proud of.

I picked up some plywood for the side skins yesterday before heading over to see Kelly. Once seeing his boat, I couldn't wait to get started today on my build. Was able to finish fairing the chine and sheer and get one piece of the side skin on. Sorry no photos yet as it started to rain before I could get them but will after I get the other side panel one tomorrow. I want to keep it symmetrical as I build it to minimize any stresses that might build up.

It's starting to look more and more like a boat.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

tcough

Postby tcough » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:49 pm

Got both rear side panels on and cleaned up the corner connection. Faired out the bow, sheer & chine, next step is fitting the front side panels. Tried playing with it a little this afternoon before putting her to bed, but it looks like fitting the sheets is going to be a slow complex process. But if that's what it takes, so be it.
Attachments
Img_1299.jpg
Img_1297.jpg
Img_1296.jpg
Happy Boating,
Tracy

specialk

Postby specialk » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:41 am

Tracy it was good to meet you and your wife... glad you liked the restaurant.. they have great food, to be in the middle of know where...your Flats Flyer has taken off,,,..keep up the good work.... if everything goes as planned.. we are coming back down in oct... will keep you up to date...maybe a little fishing.. or a cookout out this time...
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Postby tcough » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:01 pm

Ordered some more screws and the fiberglassing book/DVD last week and received them today. I know that's not really noteworthy in itself, but when looking at the invoice, I was shocked and impressed by something I found on it. Imagine my surprise to see a personal note from Gail thanking me for my order, and she mentioned me by name. It may not seem like much, but it's one of the reasons I came back to Glen-L after building the Mr. John some 30 years ago.

It's the little things like this that make someone feel appreciated and coming back.

Thank you and your welcome Gail !
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:07 pm

Tracy

At some point it becomes family. Actually, some what better than family. It's friends.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:06 am

Wow--thanks Tracy. So glad to hear this and we appreciate the kind comments...
Gayle Brantuk
Vice President
Glen-L Marine
Visit our Blog & Create Your Own!

tcough

Postby tcough » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:04 pm

Well November was pretty much a bust for boat building. Rain and had to do a lot of traveling for Shriners, but every day I was chomping at the bit to get back to the build. Here are couple photos with the first layer of the bow sheathing in place and then what I was able to finish today. Sucks when you run out of epoxy on a Sunday evening :twisted: Only need to glue & screw one small piece on the stern. Then the part I've been sooo excited about based on everyone else's comments: filling and sanding! Need to move a couple small citrus trees before fiberglassing but it's been nice the last two days being able to just reach over and pick a fresh tangerine.

My son is coming to visit for Christmas and I think I'll coerce him into helping with the fiberglassing. I'm sure it's going to cost me a dinner or two...
Attachments
Img_1436.jpg
IMG_1428.JPG
Happy Boating,
Tracy

specialk

Postby specialk » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:09 am

Tracy ... looking good... the build is moving fast... you will be flipping in no time...
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Postby tcough » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:09 pm

That's what I'm hoping for. Got the fiberglass ordered and my son will be here over Christmas to help. I just need to get it filled and sanded before then, which should be plenty of time.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

tcough

Postby tcough » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:47 pm

Well it's a boat! Could go fishing in it if I clamped a trolling motor on, dropped in a battery, and brought along a bailing bucket. Last piece of plywood placed on the hull and now the fun begins. Started filling screw heads & seams, didn't realize how long that will take, may be a full day just filling.
Img_1438.jpg
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Return to “Hankinson designs”