Fuel consumption Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Daniel79

Re: Fuel consumption Tahoe

Post by Daniel79 »

Hi Carl,

It really doesn't matter if we talk onboard or outboard. The dilemma is the same.
You think the best way to go is the 115 HP. Bill isn't sure he made the right choice with the little diesel. I'd rather come to the conclusion after a few years that the big motor I bought cheap was a bit too big than that I had bought an expensive small motor that doesn't live up to my expectations. I think financially it's better to spend a few grand to try something out if it doesn't suit me I can resell with minimum loss I believe.

Grt Daniel.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I'm happy with the engine. On the Chattanooga run I may have saved $30 in fuel. But, it will take many $30s to make up the extra cost of the engine.

The other side of it is that diesel is just safer in an inboard.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Daniel79

Post by Daniel79 »

Yes Bill, I understand completely.

And you cannot put a price on safety. Especially when the wife and kids will also be in the boat.
So that's another factor to weigh in.

Grt Daniel.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Daniel

Just to throw another wrinkle into the mix. If you want a ski boat a turbo diesel may not be a good choice. The turbo doesn't really kick in until about 2000 rpm. The power may be lacking to get a skier out of the water. There are always upsides and downsides.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Daniel79

Post by Daniel79 »

Bill,

That actually is a big help. I do want to wind up with a boat which is suitable for skiing.
so diesel is probably not the way to go.
Can I put a motor like the mercruiser 5.7 V8 in a Tahoe? It is a rather big engine I believe.
Is bigger always better or can I go too big?

Grt, Daniel.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Daniel

Butch Barto has the Big Block engine in his stretched Tahoe 23. God it's sweet!

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Daniel79

Post by Daniel79 »

Thanks Bill!

Have sent pm to Butch Barto with some questions. Also told him you put me on his trail. Hope you don't mind.

I have been admiring the photos of your Tahoe build. Really gets my heart pumping. It looks fantastic!

Grt Daniel.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Daniel

I have often thought about building the Tahoe as a utility with an engine box and a traditional engine compartment cover. You then could have both options. That would give you a better "ski" configuration or a classic look. I haven't looked at what the details would have to be. But, I have thought about it.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain »

Talking Tahoe mods. I'm still thinking of doing something like this to my Tahoe.
Attachments
23-higgins-3j-014-9in[1].jpg
23-higgins-3j-005-9in[1].jpg
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Tony

That would really be interesting. I kind of like that soft roof cabin idea.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Joris

Post by Joris »

Daniel79 wrote:For instance I can buy a used Mercruiser 5.7 V8 (500 hrs) for 4K (euro's).
Or a new 5.0 V8 for 8.5K (euro's)
Daniel,
Those will be bobtail-engines i suspect, so you'll need to add some for the gearbox and other accessoires.
You may want to consider a Ford V6-engine, many ski-boats in the UK used them and you can pick-up complete project boats for around 3000 euro's.

grts,
Joris

Daniel79

Post by Daniel79 »

Hi Tony,
Certainly looks nice but but not quite my taste. Will prvprovide a comfortable ride I think without the wind and spray.

Joris,
the engines are advertised as "plug and play" engines. I do believe I need an additional gearbox. Don't know anything about that at the moment.
A marinised Ford V6 should also work fine and €3K sounds like a dream. The only problem I see is that nearly every boat that's for sale in the Netherlands has a i/o or v-drive which I think means I still need to buy a gearbox.

p.s. Joris is a Dutch name. Dutch roots by any chance?
Grt Daniel.

Joris

Post by Joris »

Daniel,

The older ski-boats have a shaft-drive so if you can pick up one that has an engine in good condition you have all the parts in one buy: engine, gearbox, shaft, rudder etc.
Having the engine rebuilt if necessary isn't really expensive.
I wouldn't start with a Mercruiser 3.0L unless you can find the correct bell housing (or , like me, you can make you own)

And yes, i'm half dutch, half flemish :wink:

grts,
Joris

Dave NZ

Post by Dave NZ »

Hi, here's a photo of my Tahoe layout - its the stretched 20'5" version. One of the rear seats is sitting on top of the other in the photo and engine cover was removed.
The engine is an Indmar 5.7l, 350cu inch 335HP V8. This photo was taken before the engine cover upholstery and carpeting was done.
Regards
Dave
Attachments
Launch Day - engine cover off.jpg

Daniel79

Post by Daniel79 »

Hi Dave,

Nice boat! Looks great even without engine cover etc.
Your engine seems to be located more in the middle of the boat than I would expect when looking at the drawings on the Glen-L site. Is that maybe because the layout on the site is for a Tahoe 23?

Grt. Daniel

Return to “Hankinson designs”