Time to come out of the closet, True Grit

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Roberta

Re: Time to come out of the closet, True Grit

Post by Roberta » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:07 pm

Beautiful!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

gbostard

Post by gbostard » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:06 am

Curt,

Unbelievable job with your build. I can only home that my build will be as rewarding as your clearly is. Quick question - I love the addition of the swim platform, and I think I'll follow your lead and install one on my Olympian. Is the transom in its plan location, or did you shorten the boat so that the swim platform "transom is in the original location? Or I guess I'm asking, is the swim platform literally an extension to the plan length of the boat? If so, how did you know it would support the motor loading? Also, were you concerned with the performance/balance being affected in any way? I wish I was as bold as you are, I get nervous anytime I consider deviating from the plan.

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have.

-Greg

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:35 pm

Greg

I will try to explain what I did. The plans for the True Grit show a length of 27' but I stretched the hull to 29'6" so the transom is at the 29'6" location. I then added a 24" swim platform to the hull that follows the same bottom and side lines. I built the transom just like I was going to attach the motor onto it but did not cutout a motor well in the transom. So the swim platform is a water tight box. I started at the swim platform with the plywood on the bottom and sides so there was no plywood joint where the transom and swim platform meet. Inside the swim platform, I put two pieces of 3/4" plywood between the transom and swim platform in the center thus tying the two together. I also added two pieces of aluminum inside the swim platform that are bolted to the bottom of the swim platform and top of the transom at an angle. When I got the swim platform completed, I had 4 of my 200 lb. buddies stand on the platform and jump up and down while I watched for flex(high tech engineering). Everything looked fine.

By adding the swim platform, the CB did move aft some which will help since I put an Evinrude E-tec 150 for power at 430 lbs. The True Grit is not a speed boat, so I wasn't worried about performance.

Sorry about the poor picture quality. I can take any other pictures you would like.

Curt
Attachments
mounted etec
mounted etec
unfinished swim platform
unfinished swim platform

gbostard

Post by gbostard » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:24 am

Curt,

Thanks for the info, it was very helpful. Again, awesome job, I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks again,

-Greg

VinceP

Post by VinceP » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:21 pm

Curt invited my wife and I to come up and see his boat today. We were blown away by his craftsmanship and attention to detail. It is amazing how flexible the True Grit design is. The boat is a lot larger then I thought it was going to be just by reading the description. Curt is a wealth of knowledge and is very creative in his problem solving. I am really looking forward to his launch report and how she sits on the water. Thanks again Curt for inviting us up and letting us pick your brain and the boat looks fantastic.

Vince

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:46 am

Thank You Vince and everyone else on the forum for their kind words on my build. The project has really been fun for me to build even though it challenged my mind and patience at times. It really gives me a good feeling when visitors stop to look at the boat and walk around it with their mouth open and unable to say a word and then finally their first word is WOW. All the info that is available on this forum is a huge help for anyone thinking of building a boat especially for someone like myself that had never built a boat before starting the True Grit. I am also very thankful that Ray Macke put up with all my questions as I was building as he saved me from making some errors and saved me many hours of work.

Curt

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Mission Control, we have a splashdown of a True Grit. Yesterday, I launched the True Grit for the first time after 4+ years of building. I was excited and nervous all at the same time. I quickly found out how big this boat really is when you are in close quarters. Things went fairly smooth for me launching it by myself with the wife taking pictures. The last time that I had run a boat was when I was a teenager so there it a lot for me to learn.
IMG_0397.JPG
The boat sit perfect on the lines of the boot stripe that I had painted. I will have to change the prop on the Evinrude 150 as I was only able to get 5200 rpms at wot. The Garmin 7610 chart plotter is going to take some learning as I couldn't figure out how to get the GPS to work showing speed. The boat was really stable in the waves with no rocking at all. It just sliced through the waves and sent water everywhere.
Attachments
IMG_0418.JPG
IMG_0405.JPG

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:30 pm

The wife did not want to see the boat until it was done so she looked at it on Saturday. Her first words were "Holly Sh**" when she saw the boat. After the shock wore off, she started opening all the drawers and doors figuring out where she was going to put things.
IMG_0426.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG
IMG_0442.JPG
Curt

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:35 pm

You built a beautiful boat there Curt. Im impressed actually that it only tool you 4 years to build it. I;ve had car projects take longer than that and they of course are much smaller in scale.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:04 am

Outstanding Curt, very fine craftsmanship!!

How did your wife ever keep from the occasional peek to see how it was going?

I too am quite impressed with the build time. Four years, wow. I'm coming up on 5 years and still have a long way to go and my boat isn't quite as big as yours. Well done sir!

Now comes the fun and pride of ownership.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:12 am

Curt

Well Done :!: :D

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:21 am

What a sensational build. I'm sure it will bring you many years of boating enjoyment. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:52 am

Bravo Curt :!: Is there an encore lurking?

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:06 am

Curt, Your wife said it just right. Congratulations and many years of happy cruising. Tom

Return to “Hankinson designs”