Scuppers Sizes and numbers

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

aero_dan

Scuppers Sizes and numbers

Post by aero_dan » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:07 am

Greetings all, I am a couple weeks now into my steel Goliath build. I have all the frames and sternpost built and about half the keel welded in. I am trying to think ahead to reduce the amount of future headaches, and I have questions about scuppers. My aft deck is designed at just 5-6" above the waterline. I bought a couple of 1 1/4" round scuppers with rubber baffle/flaps. But I had somebody suggest that I might need more like 4 or 6 to do the job. I have seen a model of scupper with an oval design too. Is there a rule of thumb, or some guestamate on how many and sizes and shapes? The plans do not give any info other than a note in detail A, "scupper".
Better, faster, cheaper. Only ever found 2 of the 3! (But still lookin.)
So many boats, ...so little time.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Scuppers Sizes and numbers

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:44 pm

Dan

I have put 4- 2"x6" scuppers on the Bartender. I've seen pictures with 4, 6,and 8 scuppers. I hope I'm only dealing with rain water. Do you know where the low point will always be? I don't. Two doesn't sound like enough.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

aero_dan

Post by aero_dan » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi Bill, According to the plans, the aft end of the deck is the lowest at just 5" above DWL. And about 7' forward of that, at the wheel house/cabin door, it is 6". I too am hoping It will only see rain. However, thinking about the most recent rain storms, I would leave a complete slot in the skins at the sheers and only have about a 2" web at each frame in order to insure sufficient drainage. :lol: Looks like I might opt for the slotted ones and twice as many, huh?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:03 pm

Dan

My boat is double ended with an arched deck. I can't tell at any given time where the low point will be. I may have to add two scuppers later. I just don't know. I could pour 5 gal. of water in and see where it goes. But, will the boat sit in the water exactly the way it sits in the build cradle?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Cool Runnings

Post by Cool Runnings » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:19 am

I agonised over this for sometime on the Titan build we are doing.

Ended up using 2,6" by 2" RHS and with that, a hinged flap on the outside to prevent backflow into the cockpit. Did not like the look of large circular holes projecting out the side of the hull.I also thought about having drains from the cockpit running straight down and exiting underwater.
My main concern was when pitching, it may create excess water in the cockpit.

As you mentioned there is not a lot of margin from the waterline to cockpit level. I also have an electric bilge pump(Rule 2000GPH) on a float switch which is fitted into a 'sump' in the cockpit.

Hope this may be of some help-CR.

aero_dan

Post by aero_dan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:29 am

Yup, that does help. I would love to see pics of both the scuppers and the entire boat at whatever stage it is.

Cool Runnings

Post by Cool Runnings » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:15 am

You can view some pictures and information on the thread directly below yours.
Mid year Titan progress.

Granted ,it is somewhat disjointed and I am probably better at building than posting material from the computer.

The best information however relative to your project may be found on Slugs Titan thread.

You may be aware of another Goliath project 'Andiamo'.
Built by Tom Hammermeister, this looked to my eye a very high quality build as well.

I look forward to seeing your work unfold in due course.
There is no greater satisfaction than actually doing it, rather than just passing a cheque across the table and thinking you did!

Regards.

slug

Post by slug » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:12 pm

I never had a problem with water coming back up through the cockpit drains (2 @ 1 1/2"0 when pitching. The stern simply lifts up. Actually in any seas, she acts just like a cork with a weight in the bottom to bounce her right back. I used two scuppers at the low point on the side decks about 2 by 5" towards the back of the deck.
Only water problems I ever had was from rain water getting through the deck hatches. Never discovered a way to build to prevent....a real pain.

Doug

Cool Runnings

Post by Cool Runnings » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:25 am

Well there you go, I would have thought when the stern compresses in the water you would get fountains coming up through cockpit drains.

Cockpit drains sound like your best option then.

On deck hatches, hopefully there is enough Sikaflex around mine as they have not been 'road tested' as yet.

Cool Runnings

Post by Cool Runnings » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:50 pm

Aero Dan-I'm not sure how far ahead you are thinking.

Just a tip you are possibly aware of already. When you get towards purchasing an engine, make sure it's electricals' are compatible with the hull.
That is to say all the components are earthed 'above ground' or at least can be changed over to suit this situation.

May save a lot of tears later on- Cheers, C.R.

aero_dan

Post by aero_dan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:18 pm

Just a quick update here. Full update on my blog this weekend... As for the "engine", it is planned to be this little Yanmar L70 air-cooled, placed probably under the 1st mates seat. :lol: It will be driving a pair of 48 volt, 100 Amp alternators to feed the battery bank. Second primary drive motor arrives on Monday the 10th. "Earthing" or "grounding" is something I expect to tackle next spring after the interior is installed this winter. I guess it is time to get a "marine electrical for Dummies" book to add to my collection.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:37 am

Dan

Good luck figuring out the ground. That's the most confusing/conflicting bunch of crap that I've come across. Then add the steel hull and galvanic corrosion... I have a wooden hull. I put bond/ground bar below the waterline. This gets a lead from the negative DC and one from the 115v board ground, plus one to the generator if I have it on board. I'm setup such that I can have shore power or generator. But, never at the same time.

I know your system is a bit different. I just throw this out to maybe give you some idea of things to consider.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Hankinson designs”