Neeley's Barrelback - Sacramento

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Jimbob

Re: Neeley's Barrelback - Sacramento

Postby Jimbob » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:46 am

Thanks Bob!
If you do the bungs, here's something that I came up with for cutting them. Rather that breaking them out with a chisel one at a time, I cut as many as I can on the drill press using a scrap board, then I slice off the back of the piece of wood with the bandsaw, and the bungs just fall out. Cutting as many as I do, I had to come up with something.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:16 pm

Jim

Good tip!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:18 pm

As far as bungs are concerned, Don Danenberg has a great method in his book: Using a drill press, make rows of bungs along a board down to about 1/16" short of going through the board. Space each bung so the circles overlap, space each row the same way. Leave the bungs in place after your rows are done. Then rip each row off the length of the board, which leaves a sort of stick of bungs. You dip the first bung into glue, tap it into place, break the stick off of it, dip and tap the next bung, break it off, etc. Repeat as needed. The beauty of this method is the grain direction of the bung can be "aimed" to match the board you are installing them to. And the bungs are much easier to handle, avoids whacked fingertips.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:02 pm

Peter,
I read that too, and tried it, but found with my plug cutter it was too much trouble overlapping the cuts, and sometimes ruined the adjoining plug. I drilled down until the cutter stopped resulting with a full width at the wide part of the taper. The grain direction was easy for me to see when looking at each plug. Here's a tip I found from a classic boat restoration expert. Use thickened varnish instead of glue or epoxy. Dip each bung into the varnish, and spread varnish on the insides of the hole with a small dowel. The varnish gives you time to adjust the bungs if necessary. Tap the bungs in place with a tack hammer. Too much force with a regular hammer can cause you problems later. If you need to remove a bung even after the varnish sets, break it out with an ice pick, so as not to damage the holes. I also found that trimming down the bung with a sharp block plane then sanding works better than a chisel or Japanese flush trim saw for me.
Jim
Jim Neeley

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:00 am

While the turkey was being prepared, I was working on my boat.

I finally got the final planks on the transom completed, sanded and ready for stain. The last plank consists of 4 layers of 1/8" mahogany, to make the final plank 1/2" thick. The plank below only has stain on it ( no varnish yet ) because I knew that I would be sanding the new plank so that the seam would be even. I will overlap and blend the stain at the seam and then varnish. I left the final plank off previously until I got my decking on so that I could get a nice fit where the deck planks meet the transom. Next weekend is the "bung fest", and making the windshield patterns.
Jim
Attachments
20171123_111726.jpg
I'm pretty happy with the seam between the deck planks and the transom.
20171123_111614.jpg
Sanded, ready for stain.
Jim Neeley

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:28 am

:D looks really nice.are you going with different wood for bungs so they stand out?or going with same wood and trying to hide by matching grain? :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:49 am

Thanks Chugalug!
I am using mahogany scraps for the bungs and aligning the grain. If you look at the original boats they are subtle, but they still can be seen. (example pic below, enlarge to see the bungs)
Jim
Attachments
P8080047.JPG
Jim Neeley

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:18 pm

sorry.wasn't thinking.I suppose if one was to put darker plugs in ,everything (holes)would have to be absolutly perfect-otherwise that potential boo-boo would be the only thing others see. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:43 pm

Jim

Of coarse, you are the one that you have to make happy! I have many mistakes on my boats. Most people are so overwhelmed by the whole boat they won't even notice. Only Dave Lott ever has said any thing negative about the Tahoe. Everyone else just wants a ride. The point is I did my best and I'm proud of it!

I hope, by the contributions that everyone makes here, the boats just get better and better. It makes me proud!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:43 pm

Greetings from Bung Land! Only 500 miles from Lego Land!

I said today would be bung fest, and it was. They are all standing proud today but I will cut them all down to size tomorrow. :lol: Pics below:
Jim
Attachments
20171125_121258.jpg
More bungs than I could count
20171125_121444.jpg
Added across the top of the transom and down the king plank on the hatch.
Jim Neeley

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:50 am

Jim that looks great! Lots of work. But, you have the visual appeal of a traditional planked deck which for me makes it worth all that effort. And you now have the skill set to tackle a real mahogany runabout.
This is a confirmation that my thought to do a traditional planked deck on my Malahini will work just fine.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:42 am

Jim, this is looking fantastic. From what I've seen of your work so far, you are going to have a very authentic looking runabout. And I do not mean to imply that it's fake or any less desirable than the so called "real" boats. My personal opinion on this is that you built this with your own hands, not someone else's. These Glen L designs stand up extremely well and I think that they are just as deserving of praise (if not more so).

Boy, that was a bit of a rambling. But anyway, she looks beautiful. God luck getting all those bungs trimmed down.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

alycat

Postby alycat » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:41 pm

Oh my goodness!!!! That is awesome!!!! It looks so good and I can’t wait to see it when you get the stain on!!!! All I can say is WOW!!!!
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Barrelback 19' stretched to 20'

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 3171d9bb06

JoeM

Postby JoeM » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:34 pm

Maybe it's my younger ways, but I need a "like" button for posts. I have absolutely nothing to contribute except to say that I like you're progress. It's looking great!

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:56 am

Thank you all for your kind words!
I'm now done with bungs. They have all been trimmed flush to the decks. They are subtle, but they are are there. My next job is to sand the decks and the coverboards including some slight fairing of the planks. I got a new compressor over the weekend to keep up with my pneumatic long board sander. I'm anxious to see how it works.
Pics below:
Attachments
20171126_144145.jpg
The light areas are just from sanding some of the varnish residue used to glue in the bungs. Will go away in the final sanding.
20171126_144245.jpg
Jim Neeley

Return to “Hankinson designs”