Neeley's Barrelback - Sacramento

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Brian

Re: Neeley's Barrelback - Sacramento

Post by Brian »

Call Jonathan at Mactowa Bay Boat Works in MI. These are very knowledgeable people who restore woodies and build wood boat trailers. They built mine because they were the closest people to CA I could find who actually knew the vagaries of a wood boat trailer. Cost me a lot, but I have confidence in them. They made no mention of tying down the stern in all the detailed instructions on launching and recovering my boat from a ramp. As I said, my boat and trailer have come across the ocean and spent a few hours on the freeways in CA. Potholes and some long bouncy turns didn't budge it. Bow cleat tied to the winch tower, that's it. If it had moved side-to-side, it couldn't go far, maybe an inch or two. Maybe you have other concerns, but for towing to and from a local ramp, I don't think you need stern tie downs. Trailer in the right lane, go 55, and keep your eye on the road. Putting something over the top risks a blemish. All the wood boat people I know say don't even put your cover on it if you are towing a long distance, because it will rub. Put it on only when the boat is sitting around.

TomB

Post by TomB »

At the risk of forever hijacking Jim's thread...

I'll weigh in again. I asked Jonathan this very question. Don't ask, he doesn't comment. I drive by his shop once a week to see what's going in and out. They do service work on wooden boats from NY to Wisconsin. Jonathan told me to put a strap over the drive shaft forward of the strut.

Here in Michigan, haul a piece of earth moving equipment (heavier than I boat), it has to be tied to the trailer. Is there a concern that a small 17,000 # bulldozer will bounce around, of course not. Don't tie it down, get a ticket, anything less than four chains at the corners, get a ticket. The chain has to be rated for the weight of the trailer or the weight of the load whichever is less. So the idea is to keep things together while the driver is going off through the tall grass after avoiding an idiot on the highway. Since we are looking at the same issue across all jurisdictions, best to consult the authorities in your jurisdiction, ie the guy that passes out tickets.

So for me, also getting a trailer from Jonathan at mbbw.com (shameless plug for a neighbor), a strap through the bow lifting eye back to a hook on the winch tower to secure the boat when its retrieved. The goal post style winch tower will keep the boat out of my rear truck window during an emergency stop. A pair of retractable tie-downs similar to www.amazon.com/BoatBuckle-Retractable-T ... B01JIJS1MM will keep the back of a 1000# trailer under the boat if things get scary. And some kind of safety strap to back up the ratchet on the recovery winch. (I have seen a boat halfway up the ramp when the ratchet wasn't engaged and trailer was pulled from under the boat.)

Tom

Brian

Post by Brian »

This is a good discussion, regardless of hacking Jim's thread a little. Thinking of your comment, the whole subject probably has to do with two things: Weight and bottom angle in the stern. With a small, light boat, absolutely strap it down. But with a 28', 5,500# boat with a bit of a bottom angle aft, I don't think necessary. Obviously, if it makes you feel more secure, do it. I have been trailering boats for 60 years, from a 12' hydroplane (a Glen-L design), to ski-race boats, to a 36' offshore monster. The only one I remember timing down aft is the hydro, which weighed almost nothing and had a heavy outboard on it. "When things get scary" is not in my lexicon. I drive very conservatively when towing anything. About 10 years ago, I had a trailer depart and head into the bush via a ditch, a series of events way too complicated to relate here. But when we pulled it back out, the boat had not moved an inch. I have also had a boat (long ago) hit a bump too fast (yes, stupid on my part, but I think I was about 18). The boat went up in the air, stuff flew out, and we pulled over to put it back together again. It had moved back from the bow bumper a little, but had settled right back, centered onto the bunks aft. Again, if an aft tie down makes you feel better, do it. I'm just saying I would hate to see a builder put unnecessary hardware on a boat or risk abrading the finish for fear of losing it or damaging it on a trailer. Sorry Jim! Signing off, washing my hands and staying isolated. Great time to have a boat project!

Return to “Hankinson designs”