Neeley's Barrelback - Sacramento

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Jimbob

Re: Neeley's Barrelback - Sacramento

Postby Jimbob » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:58 pm

This weekend was spent working on my dashboard. Yesterday I cut all of the little pieces of stainless steel that were fitted into the dados that were cut into the final dashboard. Had to cut at the correct angle and length to get a good fit around the guages. It took quite a while, but it all worked out.
Had to cut, go to the grinder for final fit, and then polish off the blue heat marks from the cutting and grinding. Felt like I was making jewelry.
Jim
Attachments
20170603_120628.jpg
Here is the production line. Cut, Shape, and Polish.
20170531_195057.jpg
Here are the stainless pieces in place in the dados ready for marking and cutting.
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:29 pm

Today I finished the dashboard except for the final coats of varnish. First I made a pattern out of mdf which was drilled, shaped, and trial fitted into the boat. The pattern was used with a flush trim router bit to make the final dash. The final dash was made out of 3/4" mahogany with 1/4 bolt inserts on the back side of the dash. That way no attachment screws or bolts are seen when sitting in the boat. The dash was stained with chris craft walnut stain. I will be using the same stain for the coverboards and king plank. The stainless pieces are from 1/4" x 1/2" stainess steel bar that was polished on one edge. The stainless pieces were fitted into dados that were cut into the dash after the guage holes were cut. Since the dash is removable, I think I might add an electrical terminal block on the back of the dash so that I can do most of the wiring without laying under the dash. (bad memories of working on my cars under the dash.) The dash is a copy of an original boat's dashboard that I posted a picture of earlier on this post.
Pics below.
Jim
Attachments
20170604_162511.jpg
Pattern in the back, Final dash in the front.
20170604_162235.jpg
Closeup of the guages.
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

alycat

Postby alycat » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:35 pm

Wow, that looks great!!! Love the walnut stain!!!
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Barrelback 19' stretched to 20'

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 3171d9bb06

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:58 pm

Awesome!

Where did you get the stainless steel strips?
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:06 pm

Really nice touch with the stainless strips. I have been considering something similar for the cabin sides on my Vera Cruise. Your dash has inspired me to look into that more.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:45 am

Thanks everyone!
In answer to the question:
Where did you get the stainless steel strips?

I got them at a local metal supply company in Sacramento called ABC Supply. They are called stainless 304 flat bar. The size that I got was 1/4" x 1/2" x 12'. I had them cut into 6' lengths. They sell for about $22 each. If you have them shipped, they will cut them into 6' lengths.

I had them polished at a local Plating Shop in Sacramento. It wasn't cheap, $200. You could polish it yourself. I polished my stainless steel steering column myself, no big deal. It's like polishing varnish. Work up to 2000 grit, and then go to rubbing compounds.

You should be able to find them locally at a metal supply company. If not ABC Supply can ship to you. Here's their web address:
http://www.abcsupply.net/

Jim
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:27 am

This weekend was spent on installing the vinyl flooring on the floor and in the storage areas. Spent most of the time making patterns for a good fit. The forward kick panel got flooring as well. The vinyl I got was very easy to work with, cuts easy and remains flat. It stays put and doesn't move around, I won't need to attach it except on the kick panel, using photo adhesive. All flooring is fit for easy removal for cleaning. It's a replica of what was used on the original chris crafts. It has a pyramid pattern that you can see if you enlarge the photo.
Jim
Attachments
20170618_160942.jpg
Back seat area showing flooring in storage areas under seats.
20170618_151308.jpg
Kick panel with flooring installed.
20170617_162143.jpg
Front seat area
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:50 pm

It's like building a boat twice!
After fitting all of the floors, ceilings, seats, etc. I had to remove it all to seal and paint, or stain and varnish. Whew! Almost as much fun as sanding and fairing.
I found that Sandusky Paint Co. still produces the mahogany colored bilge paint that was used on the interiors of the original Chris Craft runabouts. Being a "nut" :shock: for building an accurate replica, I decided to repaint the interior of the boat with that paint. Earlier pictures of my build show a grey bilge paint. At least now I have plenty of protection in the interior of my boat. (epoxy and three coats of paint ) The attached pics show the new paint job and the structure for supporting the flooring. Next weekend I will probably be putting the finished interior pieces back in place and running my steering cable. (all ready the holes have been drilled in the frames.
Jim
Attachments
20170730_143612.jpg
Side view showing floor supports. Lots of space for cable runs. The center supports "saddle" the frames.
20170730_143408.jpg
Stern view.
20170730_143312_001.jpg
Bow view.
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

WayWard

Postby WayWard » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:03 pm

That's looking sharp.

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:06 pm

She is looking great! And I love those gauges!

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi Everybody!
Over this last weekend I worked on my coverboards. They are now glued down using epoxy and silicone bronze screws that are in the 3/8" holes than can be seen in the pictures. These holes will be filled with mahogany bungs like the original boats were. I made the coverboards out of 4/4 mahogany, which gave me plenty of material for shaping. It went pretty quickly with an electric plainer and a belt sander. A one inch scrap plywood strip was stapled to the hull which was used as a guide for shaping the coverboards for proper placement of the rub rails. Those strips will be removed later and replaced with the 1" polished stainless rub rails that are replicas of the original ones. After installation of the bungs (approx 500, whew!) and more sanding and I will be ready to install the sub deck.
I'm excited, it's starting to resemble a boat.
Jim
Attachments
20170905_123156.jpg
20170905_123143.jpg
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:34 pm

Question: what are you using for the deck planks? I see ply sub deck, looks like its being installed in strips, I assume with battens at the seams, then covered by the deck planks? Curious, had you considered just using the deck planks? More like the classic Chris Craft deck? Your cover boards look great!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:27 am

Thanks Peter!

PeterG wrote:Question: what are you using for the deck planks? I see ply sub deck, looks like its being installed in strips, I assume with battens at the seams, then covered by the deck planks? Curious, had you considered just using the deck planks? More like the classic Chris Craft deck? Your cover boards look great!

You are correct, there are 5 pieces of subdeck with the seams landing in the center of each supporting batten. I think that the plywood subdeck with 1/8" mahogany veneer planks would be easier, and more stable since I am using planks less that 2" in width. Also I feel that the plywood subdeck will make the deck more stable and less prone to normal wood movement.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:04 am

Okay, I understand now. Your design will look great!
Traditionally built mahogany runabout decks are planked with 1/2" boards roughly 8" wide, with kerfs cut in them to simulate the narrow strips, often 4 or 5 strips to each board. You are right to be concerned about wood stability. Typically the deck would be sealed and painted underneath to minimized any swelling or shrinking.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:07 pm

This weekend was bung weekend. Had to cut over 500 plugs. Installed them in the cover boards this weekend. They have been trimmed flush, and tomorrow I will sand and do the final shaping. Then on to the sub decking and mahogany planking. The decking will have bungs also just for show. No screws under them. Pics below are of my "proud bungs" :D before the trim job.
Jim
Attachments
20170908_170331.jpg
20170908_171442.jpg
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Return to “Hankinson designs”