Neeley's Barrelback - Sacramento

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Bill Edmundson

Re: Neeley's Barrelback - Sacramento

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Jim

Looks great. Set that motor in there! Get off that bike and on the water!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Jimbob wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:41 pm
....<snipped>.....
but I just got a new motorcycle and have riding it instead of working on the boat. Guess I needed a break after 6 years. .... snipped> .....
Jim

It's funny how motorcycles can do that. I spent a good part of my adult live riding. My last one I had for the first two years of the build. Boat is looking nice Jim. Won't be too much longer now.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

monitor

Post by monitor »

I understand Jim. I rode new and old bikes. Now i have other builds going on, along with the BB.
Can't wait to see it in the water!
Jim Kinsella

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Got my gantry assembled this weekend. It took 4 of us to raise it up. Kind of like a barn raising but without the women cooking dinner and all of the other festivities. Next I had to rent a 14 foot step ladder to position the hoist and add additional bracing. I don't want anything go move when I drop (poor choice of words) the motor into the boat.
Jim
Attachments
20190902_122110.jpg
Last edited by Jimbob on Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Looking good Jim. Hopefully, the engine install will be smooth and you can start getting the final bits figured out.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Last weekend I got a step closer to the motor install. I got the engine off of the pallet and onto my mock-up of the motor stringers and support brackets. The mock-up made it easy to adjust the motor mounts for proper placement. I found out that I will need to shorten one of my engine mounting brackets to clear some of the plumbing stuff on the engine. I put casters on the mock-up / stand so I can move it around prior to the install. My gantry worked out just fine. It didn't move or creak. That was a relief as I will need to lift the engine quite high to clear the boat. Next weekend I will take measurements from the mock-up/engine stand to determine where I will need to trim the frames for a fit. Then pop her in.
Jim
Attachments
The levitating engine and mock-up stand bottom right
The levitating engine and mock-up stand bottom right
Jim Neeley

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

That's really cool Jim. This is one of those things that really stands boat builders apart, the desire to do what is necessary to get the job done. Bravo.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Way to go Jim, I’ve been waiting on this day from you. Your gantry makes mine look like popsicle sticks, you could lift the whole boat and trailer with that beast!
Good luck with the engine fit, there are sure to be minor fit issues.
Matt B
Attachments
Just 2x4’s and deck screws,
Just 2x4’s and deck screws,

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Jim,
my experience using my car engine hoist to do anything with the boat engine was, it is useless. It doesn’t have the capability to reach over the sheer and lift the engine straight up. It drags to the side as it lifts. So don’t dismantle your gantry to soon, mine is still up.
Matt B

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Still fine tuning to get the motor into the boat. I lowered the motor into the boat but had to remove it to make modifications to get it to it's final resting place. The motor is back out of the boat so I can make some modifications. After struggling to get the motor under the deck beam, I decided to get out my circular saw and cut the sucker out of the way. After doing that I had to figure how to put the deck beam back in place after the motor is installed. I put in some tabs that the deck beam rests on, with 2 bolts on each end, that secures it in place. It's just as solid as before. I will fill the gaps from the cut with the white caulk which will align with the caulk lines the the rear of the boat. Turns out that the factory relocated oil filter will be right under the deck beam and I wouldn't be able to access it without removing the deck beam. I removed the factory oil filter relocation assembly, and have have ordered an after market relocation kit that has flexible hoses so I can relocate somewhere in the hatch area for easy access.

If I had it to do over, I would have put the engine into the boat before completing the decks. At least now I know for certain that I can easily remove the motor later if I need to.

Jim
Attachments
Removable deck beam back in place. White caulk will be in the cut grooves.
Removable deck beam back in place. White caulk will be in the cut grooves.
Deck beam removed, mounting tabs in place.
Deck beam removed, mounting tabs in place.
The motor with the relocated oil filter at the top of the engine.  Before the deck beam cut.
The motor with the relocated oil filter at the top of the engine. Before the deck beam cut.
Jim Neeley

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

More work prior to motor install.
The oil dip stick is at the front of the engine. I made the rear seat back hinged, but with the cushion on, it will only hinge forward so far. I got some panel connectors from rockler and installed them so that the rear seat back can be easily removed and re-installed for access to the front of the engine.
Jim
Attachments
Back seat installed
Back seat installed
Seat back installed onto connectors
Seat back installed onto connectors
Connectors on seat frame
Connectors on seat frame
Jim Neeley

monitor

Post by monitor »

Great to see the engine going in Jim!
Take time to enjoy it, even with the extra work.
Jim Kinsella

Brian

Post by Brian »

Jim, your past posts remind me of the pain I went through getting a big Ilmor 430 into my Monte Carlo. It is extremely tight, and my fingers are crossed that the alignment with the prop shaft never changes, as adjustments to the mounts will be very difficult. I probably lifted that 1000# engine 30 times before I got it right. Had to rebuild the forward bulkhead into 3 pieces so it could be removed for access to the front of the engine. To say it's shoehorned in would be an understatement. Pity the future mechanic who may have to work on it!

You're progress looks great and we are both at about the same point I think. I am finish sanding the deck, then will be staining/varnishing. I've varnished the two hatch covers in the shop and learned a lot in the process, to apply to the deck. Thanks to Peter at Sierra Boat! My project is in Hawaii, but will be shipped to Petaluma for upholstery early in 2020 for a May launch at Tahoe. Maybe I'll see you on the Lake one day next summer!

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Looks great Jim, I agree engine access through the back seat is a must to reach the front of the engine. How much clearance do you have from your water pump pulley to the back seat? I’m doing 2 inches of clearance on mine.
Matt B

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Thanks everyone!
Matt, I haven't gotten to that point yet, but i'm sure it will be close. I need to get the oil filter relocation on the engine before I try a re-install of the motor. I should be ok as my motor is a v6 which is approx 4" shorter than the v8.
Jim
Jim Neeley

Return to “Hankinson designs”