FF in Kathleen GA

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Conrad

Re: FF in Kathleen GA

Postby Conrad » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:34 pm

tcough wrote:You're making great progress Conrad and will be caught up to me in no time. This was the exciting part of the build for me so far, seeing it take shape and starting to get a feel for the size. After the flip, you'll really appreciate how much room is in it.

Sooooo, I’m getting ready to mark out and cut the transom....did you set 14 degrees on a bandsaw? I wish the plans would have just marked both lines...
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

Consider what God has done: Who can straighten what he has made crooked? Ecc 7:13 :)

tcough

Postby tcough » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 pm

I did cut it to 14 degrees, but because of the size of the transom, I used a jig saw and left it proud by about an 1/8th inch. While fitting the battens, I trimmed to final size then attached them.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

specialk

Postby specialk » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:10 am

Conrad...there are several ways to get that angle...
If you have the room...your bandsaw method is perfect. ..
If you are good with a jig saw Tracy ...has a good idea. ..
I stole this pic..from someone on the fourm...just to show you what I did..
My thought was. ..once the battens were in...I could use there straightness to get a better angle on the transom...

Conrad...I did a screen shot...on my phone...it will not let me pull it up to attach it to this thread. ..we are living in fla..now...and have no inter-net or cable...and I kind of like it...but anyway will email it to you...

Good job on the build...you are progressing fast...!
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Postby tcough » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:24 am

Kelly - where in Florida?
Happy Boating,
Tracy

specialk

Postby specialk » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:47 am

Port St. John... directlyacross from the VAB at Kennedy Space Center
This is the view ...we wake up to every day...
Attachments
20180216_072646.jpg
Last edited by specialk on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
2nd Boat.....?

Conrad

Postby Conrad » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:58 pm

Stem is glued up and ready to be trimmed and the plywood backing of the transom is being glued tonight...note my sophisticated clamping system.
Attachments
F0CF89BC-B74C-4213-9814-8688D7017375.jpeg
837DB6F3-60F7-48E8-B41D-AE6836764994.jpeg
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

Consider what God has done: Who can straighten what he has made crooked? Ecc 7:13 :)

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:42 pm

:lol: Do you mean that you don't have to keep the little guy up all night sitting on it?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Conrad

Postby Conrad » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:00 am

Does anyone know why Glen L doesn’t include the bots in the fastener kit?...weird..
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:54 am

Conrad wrote:Does anyone know why Glen L doesn’t include the bots in the fastener kit?...weird..
That's a good question. It does leave open the option to use hot-dipped galvanized but you might as well use Silicon bronze. It's a pretty small percentage of the cost of the build overall. In the end, Glen-L was the only place I could even find the size I needed for the Geronimo.

Conrad

Postby Conrad » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:35 pm

So rookie question.

Here is the assumption:

Once the transom Knee is attached, attach to frame 1 with the keel and then to the stem. Once complete, move to the chine...is that the correct order?
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

Conrad

Postby Conrad » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:31 pm

So today, I trimmed up most of the gussets, laminated the bottom pieces on the transom(since I jacked up the only piece I had wide enough) spaced out the frames to the proper length, cut the keel notches on all the frames and dry fitted the stem and keel. I measured it out and I think my final size will be 20’ 4”. I’m not sure where I ended up with the extra 7”, but I’m not complaining! :lol:

I’ll cut the batten notches into the transom, and cut the chine notches into the frames tomorrow.

Kelly and Tracy, did you notch the transom and then just lay the battens out to decide where to cut the notches? Also, did you have to scarf any battens? If so, where did you choose to place the joint? For the Chine, did you use 1” nominal or actually plane to 3/4? I have been using 7/8” net and am thinking of keeping that for the chimes. Thoughts? Lastly, Did you epoxy frames 5 & 6 at the stem joint or just screw them on?

Thanks for answering my thousand questions!
Attachments
CC6CB7C4-5286-44F0-85B6-9911A449862F.jpeg
028CB816-1809-4DB6-9B54-D0A77DFA741F.jpeg
E28E2721-43AA-43DB-9A01-AEAD52DAB6BC.jpeg
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

specialk

Postby specialk » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:58 am

I did have to scarf..a few of my battens...if I remember I tried to break them over a frame...
The chines ....the one where bottom of boat meets gunwale...I think I too did 7/8....
The chines ..where deck of boat meets gunwales...
I believe that needs to be 5/8...because you have a great bend in the bow...plus you need up laminating that with 2 pcs.. plus adding a pc...between frames in the bow area..

I epoxy everything that could be glued. ..
2nd Boat.....?

tcough

Postby tcough » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:56 am

I notched the transom before laminating it and placed the battens roughly parallel to the keel. Marked their location, then cut the frame notches. I did laminate a couple of the longer battens, locating the joint as far aft as possible. You'll have a pretty wicked bend in them up near the bow, so avoid laminating in that area and use lots of steam and something to hold them down (up?) while placing the ply sheeting. I used wire attached to screw eyes and the building frame.

Chines I believe were 3/4" (1" nominal) stock. Be careful here too at the bow and use plenty of steam (this goes for the shear too). Given enough time/steam, I think you could wrap stock around a pencil.

So far, I've used epoxy at all connections where screws were used. At the sheathing to frame connection, only epoxy, no screws. I did notice the other day, while planning to start work on her again, that several screw "divots" could be seen. I may be too far along to go back to them, but it's not a show boat. The juice may not be worth the squeeze.

You're making great progress. I can't believe it's been almost 2 years since I last worked on mine, but will be back at it soon.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Conrad

Postby Conrad » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:37 pm

Thank for the responses. I will probably cut out the chine notches, but I have a 2 week TDY and won’t be back until mid March, so I will be taking a break.

I’ll post some updates then
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

tcough

Postby tcough » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:46 am

Those TDYs always come up at bad times. I just returned from a week long TDY to Laughlin AFB, could have been working on the shed but no, Air Force needs come first!
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Return to “Hankinson designs”