FF in Kathleen GA

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Conrad

Re: FF in Kathleen GA

Post by Conrad » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:54 am

steveh41 wrote:
Conrad wrote:I still have to build a dining room table first, but hope to start soon. Happy Wife, Happy Life.
So true... getting approval from the Significant Other before starting a build is probably the most important step! And there is no language on the planet where "Husband" rhymes with "Life" :lol:

Steve
I just finished an entertainment center and the table, so I'm good to go on the wife's projects!
Attachments
table.jpg
ETCenter.jpg
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

Consider what God has done: Who can straighten what he has made crooked? Ecc 7:13 :)

JoeM

Post by JoeM » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:02 pm

Looking forward to following along to your build. Glad you're back safe from your deployments and thank you for your service. I'm retired Navy.

Nice projects all around. by everyone.

Yeah, I'm still working on projects for my wife. Definitely agree with Happy wife, happy life. I finished a DVD shelf for her. Yes, a DVD Shelf. They were just fine in a box in the closet, I mean how often are we going to watch DVD's now that we have most everything on BluRay?
DVD Shelf Complete Pic 1.jpg
I finished it, my wife put the DVD's in and decorated With some cameras, pictures, and other fun things. Yes, we're nerds and into Star Wars, amongst other sci-fi vices. Anyways, she's already proven me wrong and watched a bunch of DVD's in the short time they've been out. Oh well, she's happy. Now to get to work on the mantle I was supposed to have done for Christmas....Hope to sneak in time to build my layout table, I can probably tell her I need it for the mantle build. :)
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:17 pm

So I will be building the Form tomorrow. I have several questions.

1. I can’t get any 10’ plywood. How is the best choice to choose where to make the cuts if 8’ is max I can get?
2. I’ve noticed a lot of pocket holes on other builds. Is that normal?
3. When building the frames, are you gluing between the joint or epoxy with chopped fiber mix after attaching with screws?
4. When scarf jointing the ply, do you do it by hand?

I’m sure I’ll have tons more, but I’m super excited to get started
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

Consider what God has done: Who can straighten what he has made crooked? Ecc 7:13 :)

JoeM

Post by JoeM » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:56 am

Glad to hear you're starting cutting soon. I hope to begin my layout table and frame patterns soon as well. Just have one more project for the wife (a mantle) and a few day trips for Wounded Warrior Project(another blacksmithing class!) and the Warrior Sailing Program(a weekend Regatta) and I can finally begin cutting. :D

I can't really say what is common. I can tell you what I plan to do in considering your questions for my True Grit build.

1. I too will be using 8ft ply. I'm a little unsure what you mean, but when I make the cuts for the hull, I will start from the bow(at least in sizing, if not actually starting there) so that my plywood bends around the bow in as much of a single sheet as possible. I am still up in the air about scarfing vs butt joint, though leaning towards butt joint. No matter the joinery, I want the joint to be in as straight a section as possible to reduce the stress.

2. I am planning on using pocket holes for my deck/sole framing only. Ray Macke has a nice write up on his site for his True Grit on how he did his framing utilizing pocket screws. I liked the way he did it so will be using the same technique for mine. http://dev.egyptian.net/raymacke/TG/CabSole.html For my frames themselves, i'm following the fastening schedule given in the plans.

3. I will be epoxying the crap out of the gaps in the frame joints but will also have the gussets called for in the plans. Screws will also be used in accordance with the fastening schedule in the plans.

4. If I decide to scarf joint the ply I will build a jig for my router. I'm sure it could be done by hand but with the constant change in grain direction i'm not sure how easy it would be to get done and prevent tearout(use the sharpest blades you can), granted i'm more comfortable with power tools than hand planes at this point. There are many videos on youtube showing you how to build a scarfing jig. Just search "Plywood Scarfing Jig" and i'm sure something will pop up. If you ever created a router sled to flatten big boards/tabletops the concept is the same.

I look forward to following along!

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:26 pm

As promised. The form is complete. I'll add bow support when I need it. Trying to cut down on garage space. I put it on coasters and added an extra vertical support. About 90x5/16 lag bolts hold it together...it's built like a rock
Attachments
1516497939917-889869912.jpg
1516497913164598377520.jpg
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:47 pm

Looks great Conrad, nice storage of your lumber. As far as frame construction and glue up, for my Malahini I used regular epoxy with glass microfiber filler to thicken it to the consistency of mayonnaise. This spread easily, filled gaps and didn't run drips everywhere. I screwed the gussets to the frames instead of using nails. It was my preference and I had plenty of screws. I shy away from pocket screws unless they are the only solution for a tight spot. Again, just my preference.
Scarfing plywood is not really a big deal, I have six scarf joints for my Malahini plywood. I located them in areas of less curvature or bend, and about 1/3 the distance between the adjacent frames. In other words, don't put a scarf too close to a frame. I hand planed each scarf joint, because the router method just didn't work well for me. I could make a more accurate and cleaner scarf by taking my time and planing it with a jack plane and low angle block plane, then block sanding it with a piece of flat board and a length of coarse sanding belt. I recently figured out how to put a scary sharp edge on the plane irons, made the work much easier. When they start to dull, a few strokes on a waterstone brings the edges back to scary sharp. I was scarfing 6mm and 9mm okoume sheets already ripped down to 3 feet wide for the Malahini.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:38 pm

Got the layout table set up
Attachments
1516574228025-1591981692.jpg
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:08 pm

For fun, while waiting to start this project, I had built my son a boat bed
Attachments
Bed.jpg
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

specialk

Post by specialk » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:02 pm

I am a little jealous of that boat bed...
I want one now...
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:18 am

I want one too! I can imagine myself in my best pirate PJs doing Long John Silver "Argh, them that dies, they'll be the lucky ones".

JoeM

Post by JoeM » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:10 pm

My wife said I can build us a boat bed or a boat. Guess i'm not getting a boat bed. :)

boisebrit

Post by boisebrit » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:07 pm

Conrad,

Frame looks amazing and I did the same with my storage especially when I had made up 20ft stringers.

Your garage floor looks pretty flat, This may help my shop floor slopes away to the door for drainage and is not level - I added feet to my frame and have kept the hull leveled at strategic parts of the construction. I used a laser level to make sure all was square and level before putting the frames and still have it setup that way a lot further down the road. It was just a series of bolts and wooden blocks and I can move the boat out at any time if needed.

Hope it helps

Bryan

http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/key-larg ... oise-idaho

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:40 pm

Thanks. Yep. I built it with wood screws in the top, but adjusted to level afterwards and put in the lag bolts. They did a good job in my garage. It’s decently level.
boisebrit wrote:Conrad,

Frame looks amazing and I did the same with my storage especially when I had made up 20ft stringers.

Your garage floor looks pretty flat, This may help my shop floor slopes away to the door for drainage and is not level - I added feet to my frame and have kept the hull leveled at strategic parts of the construction. I used a laser level to make sure all was square and level before putting the frames and still have it setup that way a lot further down the road. It was just a series of bolts and wooden blocks and I can move the boat out at any time if needed.

Hope it helps

Bryan

http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/key-larg ... oise-idaho
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:42 pm

The plywood gets here tomorrow and now, I’m just waiting on the screws from Glen L...my 3rd son is scheduled to be induced Monday, so, we shall see how much I can get done with the other two in the garage with me :)
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

specialk

Post by specialk » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:48 pm

Congrats. ..on your 3rd child...
You remind me of my oldest son " the marine "
He has 4... he says one for each enlistment ...
Good time to build a boat...lots of memory's for you and the family. ..
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

Return to “Hankinson designs”