walnut coverboards

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Brian

Re: walnut coverboards

Post by Brian » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Thanks for adding to this, Brad. So you just went with mahogany and stained it with dark walnut stain? Looks great.

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:25 am

I dyed it black. It looks black and solid from afar. But you can see the grain up close.
Last edited by Brad Tucker on Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

rleete

Post by rleete » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:46 am

Iron acetate will stain wood tannins to black. The more tannins in the wood, the better the effect. Birch won't take it well, and ends up looking more dirty than anything. Mahogany should blacken almost to the point of looking like ebony.

Make iron acetate by sticking a pad of fine steel wool into a glass jar of vinegar. Let it sit for a couple of days, until the steel wool has rusted/dissolved. Shake it up and paint it on. It's fun to experiment with different woods and types of applicators.

jpvernon

Post by jpvernon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:38 pm

rleete wrote:Make iron acetate by sticking a pad of fine steel wool into a glass jar of vinegar. Let it sit for a couple of days, until the steel wool has rusted/dissolved. Shake it up and paint it on. It's fun to experiment with different woods and types of applicators.
Cool idea!
I imagine that you'd want to make enough to cover everything in one pass.
Wondering if each new batch would be slightly different in color. ???
- John

rleete

Post by rleete » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:58 pm

if it's all the same type of wood, it should all turn out the same. It's not a stain, but a chemical reaction with the wood.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:25 pm

I'd like to actually see that work. Is there a YouTube vid on it? I'll be there is. I'm gonna go and look.

I'll be back.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:39 pm

WOW! You can find ANYTHING on YouTube! Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MwQEqq6hEw

There are probably a dozen or so more videos showing how to do this too.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Brian

Post by Brian » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:36 pm

I'm going to experiment with it for sure. One concern is what kind of clear coat will be stable over it. Epoxy? CPES? Varnish? Automotive? Sand after or before? Certainly it needs to dry out, but beyond that, I wonder if there's any residual leeching. I also wonder how deep it goes. We shall see and report back. Thanks for the idea!

DSR

Post by DSR » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:47 pm

That is really cool!!

Every single time I cruise through the forums I learn something new!
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

rleete

Post by rleete » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:57 pm

I've used it for pen making. It goes as deep as it soaks in, and being thin, that's easily 1/32". I've sanded afterwards, and not gone through the blackened layer.

One caution. The smell. I used it full strength on a mahogany pen, actually soaking the blank in it. The thing still smelled weeks later, even after leaving it outdoors for a while. Since then, I dilute it a little first, and that helps, but doesn't eliminate it. I haven't done much testing to see if anything neutralizes it or not. I doubt it would be an issue on a boat, but I suppose it's possible. Name the boat "Pickle" for laughs.

Pen finish is a mixture of shellac, linseed oil and bee's wax. It is designed to penetrate the wood to help preserve it. I have not had any problems with that finish or tung oil over the blackening. I have not tried anything else.

Brian

Post by Brian » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:16 pm

I do know this in advance: Vinegar is the enemy of all resins. If there is any vinegar residue, it will adversely affect resins around it or over it. Not sure about varnish.

Return to “Hankinson designs”