Texas Barrelback 20

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

steves

Texas Barrelback 20

Postby steves » Wed May 18, 2016 9:50 am

So, my father and I started this build in October 2015. I'll post some progress pictures and hopefully get some answers! I am already adept at asking stupid questions from a previous Factory Five Cobra build as well as on my introductions page.

Thanks in advance for patience and guidance!

These are from October and December with my middle daughter helping with the keel.
Attachments
keel clamps.jpg
savannah helping me.jpg
FRAME 1.jpg

steves

Re: Texas Barrelback 20

Postby steves » Wed May 18, 2016 10:00 am

these are from December 2015 and show the keel being shaped by me and dad as well as the breast hook coming together.
Attachments
stem and frame 7 mounting.jpg
me and Dad.jpg

steves

Postby steves » Wed May 18, 2016 10:01 am

these are the battens going on and some evidence of steam bending the battens at the bow (February 2016).

Fairing was fun for awhile...getting bored but understand how important it is to get it right!
Attachments
battens at the bow.jpg
battens about to be glued.jpg

steves

Postby steves » Wed May 18, 2016 10:11 am

this is the newly installed camber boards on the transom and exhaust cutouts.

OK, looking for help on the waterline and how to determine its location. I can see it and scale the waterline off the plans, is there a better way, am I missing it on the instructions? HELP!!
Attachments
20160517_191415.jpg

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Wed May 18, 2016 11:30 am

Coming along nicely.
It is my understanding that the waterline is at the setup level. That's what I did on my barrelback and it seems to look ok. Take a look at my posting. "neeley's barrelback"

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

steves

Postby steves » Sun May 22, 2016 1:53 pm

Jim,
thanks for the reply. I guess I wasn't aware that the setup level and water line were the same. They look a bit off on the drawings. who knows!

your boat is looking great btw!

Jclark69

Postby Jclark69 » Mon May 30, 2016 8:46 pm

How many hours has it taken to get to this point?

steves

Postby steves » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:24 am

Jclark69,
My estimate is based on an average of 20hrs/wk and I started in early October, 2015 and includes some time contributed by my dad. So about 8 months at 80 hrs/mo about 640 (and you could add in about 5 hrs/wk for my dad).

I don't know how this compares to anyone else...maybe I'm slow!

hope this helps.

Steve

steves

Postby steves » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:30 am

update - Transom plywood attached
20160529_163026.jpg
20160528_081041.jpg
transom plywood on
first layer of the side on

having fun!

btw, I want to thank the guys who responded if I should go with solid plywood vs strips on my transom. As soon as I asked the question, I ran out and cut the solid plywood. I didn't intentionally ignore your thoughtful responses, I was committed before I read them!

steves

Postby steves » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:34 am

A July 4th update, I've started on the bottom with a single sheet of half inch with routed edge to allow for a stronger joints between the single sheet and 3 layers. The 4th layer will then run lengthwise and cover all previous layers.

Starting to get seriously thinking of engines and drilling shaft holes. Hope all are well!
Attachments
bottom transition to accomodate layers of 4mil to half inch.jpg
bottom going on.jpg

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:11 am

Somehow I missed this posting when it started. Welcome to the forum ( a bit of a late welcome I'm afraid). Good to see another builder here in Texas. Looks like you have been making great progress since October. It took me nearly three years to get to the same point on my Vera Cruise build. In fact, after nearly 4 years I just flipped and have begun working on the other side.

It looks like you have a good understanding of the work needed. Everything looking great so far. We have a fellow Texas builder (Skip - building a Monaco) who lives in central Texas. I'm building mine in the Austin area as is Gene (Tubby Tug). Ryan is building a Monaco (I believe) in the Fort Worth area. And I believe there are a couple of builders in the Dallas area. Oh yeah PsychoBilly is from your area.

In case you don't know about it, there is a PlyWooden Boat Festival in Port Aransas this October. I went there two years ago for the first event. Many beautiful boats down there (although most are a bit smaller than what we are building).

Keep up the good work.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

steves

Postby steves » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:35 pm

Carl, thanks for the warm Texas welcome (a bid redundant this time of year around here)!

I'm just putting on the last layers on the bottom and contemplating the hardware needed to drill the shaft hole and buy the quarter sawn mahogany for the sides and an engine.

Thanks for the information on nearest builders and the show. I'd like to try and make it. I'll post more pics but layers and layers of planking doesn't make for many interesting pictures.

Thanks again, what a fun hobby!

Steve

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:43 pm

You're welcome Steve. I think I hold the record for repetitive pictures. If you look at the pictures in my photo galleries (get there through the link in my signature), you'll see many photos that to the casual looker will appear to be the same picture. :lol: :lol:

However, when I started my build, there was very little in the way of pictures of the Vera Cruise, so I decided to change that. So, I've been taking pictures like crazy, what the heck it''s free anyway.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

steves

Postby steves » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:11 am

I have a question regarding the mahogany planks on the sides.

I've done the lines on the hull evenly spaced to give me about 7 planks wide. Using long tracing paper, the first plank at the shear has a curve of over 18 inches!

I thought I would have to edge join some planks but not that much.

Did you guys mitre the butt joints and or edge join the planks? I know this is the worst one.

Thanks for the help folks!
Attachments
20160806_080650.jpg

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:45 am

I'm sure you'll get a load of responses on "spilling planks" but here's what a quick search came up with.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27415&p=169587&hilit=Spilling+planks#p169587

Return to “Hankinson designs”