Texas Barrelback 20

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

steves

Re: Texas Barrelback 20

Post by steves » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:58 pm

so, I have another silly question. I'm working on my engine hatch and am matching the curve of the deck (fore and aft) on the hatch (as well as side to side) and it occurred, how does the piano hinge work on a curve? I can think of 3 options:
1) it doesn't
2) you make the hinge flat and the deck flat at the piano hinge (NO curvature at the hinge)
3) you somehow embed the hing level and leave a gap when the hatch opens you dont have interference from the engine hatch and deck

HELP!

Thanks in advance folks!

Steve

billy c

Post by billy c » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:07 pm

Steve-
There is a curvature to the deck abeam, but pretty much flat along the length where the hatch lies. so my vote is answer 2
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:20 pm

Steve

I'm with Billy. #2.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

steves

Post by steves » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:48 am

Thanks Bill and Billy. That's what I figured as the curvature I am seeing is only about 1/4 inch.

You guys are awesome with the prompt responses!

Happy Easter everyone!

Steve

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:02 pm

Hi Steve,
Late to the party, but wanted to set your mind at ease. There is no noticeable curve where the hinges go on my barrelback.
I tested the fit with the hatches and the deck beams and the hinges before proceeding with the subdeck and veneer. Everything checked out ok. Follow the plans, and you will be just fine. Got the hinges from classic boat connection.
Jim
Attachments
20160724_150746.jpg
hinges were screwed into place to check fit
20180331_112723.jpg
straight edge where hinges go. (no gaps)
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

steves

Post by steves » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:29 pm

Jim,
I just took some measurements. If I put a straight edge along where my hinges go, I have a 1/4" gap at the front and back. I'm scratching my head at the moment and doing research....which could involve whiskey!

I sure appreciate you posting sir!

Steve

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:42 pm

At the risk of interrupting your whiskey drinking, here's the solution that many of us on here have used. These hinges have some play in them so that they can be mounted and will work on a curved surface; however when two or more are used, the hatch does not wiggle (particularly if you connect an air shock to the underside. Here's a link to purchase - http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/prod ... atch-hinge
LaunchDay 05.jpg

Shaunh

Post by Shaunh » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Hi Steve

I am looking at these hinges for a hatch.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2pcs-Hidden ... 2749.l2649

Sorry if I have stuffed up that URL. I will work on that!

a couple arrived the other day. Need a little cleaning up but seem OK. Maybe something similar will work for you.
Cheers
Shaun

steves

Post by steves » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Shaun,
thanks for the link. I decided on some other hinges that will accommodate the curved profile and are flat.

I have another general question about throttle cables on the engine end. I assume that the engine end can be taken off the engine and mounted elsewhere because it has an electrical connection to the engine. Does anyone see any issues with moving the throttle connection to the engine off the engine and remote? you can see the throttle cable end next to the air filter in the attached picture.
throttle.jpg
throttle.jpg
I have frame 3 in the way and want to move my engine as far forward as possible, if I move the throttle cable connection I can gain a couple of inches...that can mean a lot to some people 8)

Thanks,

Steve

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:26 pm

Regarding hinges, at the risk of being off the wall (and off the mark) :shock: :shock:

Would European hidden style hinges work in this application? Finding them in stainless might be a problem, but there would be nothing above deck.

I have no idea if these would work or not, but they come in a fairly large variety if you shop around.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

DavO

Post by DavO » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:54 am

I really like the idea of European style hinges. Don't want to overcrowd the deck, and it really would help make the doors disappear.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:52 am

As far as the throttle cable, I've seen it routed to the carb (or throttle position sensor on your fuel injected engine) from the front or looped under/around the engine and fed from the back. It seemed to be at the boat builder's discretion which was used. Your setup really could be what you want because your throttle control operates a computer, not a carburetor. I don't think it's a good idea to move the throttle position sensor off the engine but you can look at routing your cable to connect from aft? Just gotta find a useful bracket to hold the cable and sensor. Have a look at http://www.skidim.com as they are great for inboard parts/accessories, highly recommended by the ski boat restoration community.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:05 am

Darned expensive but here is a solution:
http://www.skidim.com/CONTROL-SINGLE-DB ... fo/108014/
A drive-by-wire control? Who knew. Replaces the throttle position sensor on the engine, just need a shift cable?
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

steves

Post by steves » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:00 pm

PeterG,
I was curious why you wouldn't move the throttle sensor off the engine as I was thinking to do just that! The wire from the sensor seems long enough I could attach it right to frame 3.

Thanks in advance!
Steve

steves

Post by steves » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:49 am

This is my first coverboard joint. its a bit tedious but fun to do.

The board on the right is toward the bow, the next one back still needs trimming both inboard and outboard. I wanted to get the joint right before I trimmed the back one.

I only have about 5 more to go!
Attachments
coverboard joint.jpg

Return to “Hankinson designs”