Seaworthy?

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Signor72

Seaworthy?

Post by Signor72 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:17 am

I'm considering the barrel back designs and am wondering about their seaworthiness. Say upto about 4 or 5 feet of swell. Not because I'd intend to take a barrel back out in that sort of swell but conditions can change quickly and I'm wondering how it would go if I had to bring it home in those conditions.

How would the barrel back design go with a deeper v hull? Has anyone tried? I really like the near vertical bow and don't think that it would be a liability in a 5 foot swell - but of coarse the classic design flattens out towards the aft.

I have some experience in boats upto about 6 to 8 feet of swell in smallish boats without very deep v's so I guess I'm just wondering about the sea character of these particular designs

Bill Edmundson

Re: Seaworthy?

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:56 pm

Signor

I really would not want to be in 4 to 5 seas in a BB. or really in any of the mahoganies. The boats are strong enough. But, you better be a very good boat handler!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:08 pm

the mahoganies are all inland water boats.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Adrock1

Post by Adrock1 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:38 pm

I don't care how deep the vee. 6-8' swells in any small craft are serious business and not conditions that I would ever subject myself to in a small boat.

I know there is a big difference between long well spaced gentle swells and and steep short interval swells but 6-8 feet seas are too big for your typical runabout regardless.

Signor72

Post by Signor72 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:58 am

i have some experience with those conditions and while I wouldn't consider myself an expert, knowing your boat and your own limitations is essential. I am a cautious boater so I generally get a few trips up my sleeve before going 'the next step' with a boat or conditions.

Wave length is as important as height in small(ish) runabouts in open water imho and the video I've seen suggests that the barrelbacks, when driven slowly would probably be ok in a ground swell if you were sensible. Wind chop + swell is a different kettle of fish.

I'm on the coast and so I'm thinking protected bays, harbours and some trips outside in the right conditions (<4').

I don't have any experience on inland lakes - but I'm guessing on a big lake you might get some pretty choppy water with windy weather and it would be a fairly irregular height and wavelength so harder to predict?

Signor72

Post by Signor72 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:48 am

Discussed a little here... http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread. ... or-the-sea

I think hinting in calm seas it'd be ok

Return to “Hankinson designs”