Monte Carlo seating

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Ozzieboat

Re: Monte Carlo seating

Postby Ozzieboat » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:37 am

Brian
I did as Bill has done and dropped the floor to the bottom of the stringers. I don't know about the Monte Carlo, but with the Monaco you can drop the floor outboard to nearly the same amount as the centre floor. My seating height is such that my eyes are in line with the top of the windscreen and my hair (what is left of it) does not get ruffled.
Attachments
DSCF6189 (800x600).jpg
DSCF4180 (800x600).jpg

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:59 am

Brian wrote:Thanks, Billy. Skip's thread is awesome and answers many questions!

NP

I'm just an "arm chair builder" hehehe I come here and real/follow threads and have seen many different approaches to these cover boards. Billy has a great website on his beautiful boat. I have read his reply to others concerning cover boards on BBs and how he handled it. Also Dave Lott I believe covers how he handled cover boards on his build thread.

Use the search option in the forum to research this topic. You will find several pages on cover boards and how boys and girls have tackled this part of boat building.

Brian

Postby Brian » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:31 pm

"Throwing some lumber at it", as suggested. It seems like 1/2" or 3/4" Meranti ply is the ply of choice for the seat frames (3/4 seems overkill). Does this have to be marine grade? We've got regular Meranti ply here, but they would have to bring in marine. I was thinking I could just soak it up with CPES before final assembly, as I have done with all the other wood.

Do people attach the frames permanently, with epoxy, or are the frames and seats all just blocked and screwed together and bolted on, so they can be removed if necessary? Or is it a little of each?

And finally, since the panel is an integral part of the helm seating, what should the height of the wheel be? Looks like the center is in front of the chest in some pics, and also about 1/3 the diameter above the deck? The plans for the Monte Carlo show the center of the wheel about 14" in from the sheer edge. Windscreen height roughly 12"? Any of these measurements sound familiar, way off, or what?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:27 am

Brian

1/2" ext. ply is fine for the seats. Lots of storage space under the seats. My Tahoe's rear seat is bolted together so I can remove the tank and get to the rudder if I ever need to. My front cockpit seat bases are glued and screwed.

Steering wheel? I just sat in the car and adjusted the seat and wheel, then measured it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Brian

Postby Brian » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:22 am

Thanks, Bill. I also reverted to my car for measurements. Where did you fit in the motors and switches for the seat adjustments? (joke)

When you say "1/2" ext ply", do you mean ply that is to be veneered with Mahogany, or ext. Meranti ply? Not sure there is any ext. Meranti (or any veneered ply) available here. I can get rolls of Mahogany veneer, and I'm thinking if I lam it to 1/2" ext ply with epoxy and then soak the whole piece in CPES, it should be better than "marine ext" ply. But a lot of work.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:23 am

Brian, will your seat framing show in the finished boat or will it be covered? If it's covered up then you can just use 1/2" exterior ply no problem. No need to laminate it with mahogany. Or you can try to stain it to match if it is exposed. Whatever you use you'll want it to have been made with waterproof glue. I saw a Cris Craft restoration on facebook where they did the cockpit sole with marine fir ply and stained it to match the mahogany. It looked pretty good. Marine fir looks a lot like the exterior plywood that I recently bought for my barn doors.

Brian

Postby Brian » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:31 am

I'm not too concerned with the framing itself, although it should look good. I not that others say they use "Meranti ply", so that's why I'm wondering if they used a marine Meranti ply or just regular Meranti ply.

I'm doing a walkthrough between the front two cockpits, so there will be a wall with a cabinet on each side of the walk-through space. That can be a single panel, but needs to be Mahogany. It may be, since it's really just that piece, I will have to lam and CPES just those tow panels.

Return to “Hankinson designs”