Monte Carlo seating

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Brian

Monte Carlo seating

Postby Brian » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:57 pm

I'm at a point where I need to make some decisions about my interior layout, possibly off-plan. I'm looking at the seating design and it specifies bench seats and the "sole" (floorboard). The front of the seat base is raised about 4" off the sole, which sits on the motor stringers. It appears to me this means there is no place to put your feet down, so everyone rides with their knees up, or legs out flat. I'm wondering if I am missing something here, or if that's just typical.

On the other hand, there is plenty of depth below the motor stringers (to the frames) is about 10", and the stringers are about 25" apart. This seems like an ideal place for legs, which has no other purpose. The configuration that makes the most sense, from a practical point of view, is to put the driver's seat in the center and U-shaped bench seating behind, leaving out the cross deck (which the plans say is ok).

Anyone care to comment? Seems to me a driving position in the center is optimal, but you never see boats this way, especially mahogany boats.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Monte Carlo seating

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:11 pm

Brian

On the Tahoe, I dropped the sole 3" to 4" between the stringers. Even with just one foot down that much it is more comfortable.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Brian

Postby Brian » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:15 pm

Thanks. So I'm not crazy, this is just the way these boats were?

Is there some reason not to put the helm in the center? Seems perfect to me. You never know which side of a dock you're coming into, and your visibility is symmetrical. But you never see this. Why?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:23 pm

Brian

With a fixed prop. you will soon know which side you'll dock on. :lol: I have a left hand prop. I'm almost always docked on the port side.

The helm location is determined the prop. rotation direction. If you want a portside helm the prop. should rotate counter clockwise looking from the rear (LH). If you want starboard helm (This is traditional.) you use RH rotation props. Before rudders were centered the rudder was always on the right, since most people are right handed. They guided by the stars. Thus the rudder was called a starboard. You always docked with the dock (port) left because you didn't want to risk damaging you starboard.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Brian

Postby Brian » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:55 pm

Yep, I went through all that, with prop rotation and rudder offset, the helm would be on the left. But that would seem to apply in only two situations.

The first is when you happen to be docking on the left, which (at least at Lake Tahoe) is unpredictable (availability, wind, traffic, etc.).
The second is when you are the only person in the boat and your weight is needed on the left to counter prop torque. It seems to me this is a rare situation, as the boat is easily balanced with one or more additional people (i.e., "Please sit over there").

Are these factors that significant that I would not want to have the helm in the middle, where it is always in the right place for docking, always in the right place for balance, and always in the right place for visibility. What am I missing here?

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:42 am

Your visibility from your center helm will be obstructed by center windshield bracket and burgee. Generally having a hand on the shift and throttle is needed when docking as well. Mounts for these components is usually on the ceiling panel or sole on these style runabouts.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Brian

Postby Brian » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:42 pm

Good points, thanks. I was contemplating how the shift/throttle might be mounted on the panel. I'll stick with the helm on the left, but the foot space is looking like a real pain. Why is this design so different from the classics, which seem to have adequate leg room? Kind of a bummer after all this work.

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:13 pm

Brian-
if you look at a sports car seating (i used an Audi A6) you will see that the seat height depth back and distance to floorboard measurements would easily fit within the cockpit dimensions of your Monte Carlo. ...in fact it would seem spacious :D your feet have plenty of space under the dash as there is no firewall
try a quick mockup. i have some pictures on my site if you want some ideas
-Billy

Brian

Postby Brian » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:36 pm

Billy, I've had a lot of sports cars of many different types. I agree you have a point, but most of them (like the 456 Ferrari I currently drive) are about 10". The Monte Carlo is 4". A Lotus, Cobra, and a few others, with the pedals raised, are more like the Monte Carlo, but a very different driving situation.

I think the "problem" is partly solved with an angled foot board. Otherwise the driver will tend to scoot forward and bounce around. Also, I may be able to drop the sole on the outside of the stringer (per Bill Edmundson's comment) and on the inside of the stringer for footwells. Trouble is, the helm doesn't want to be centered on the stringer, so that would be a little weird.

I wonder if I could just raise the seat base a few inches and still not be too high?

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:02 pm

...well sounds like you have a good basis for your seating angles and dimensions :D . Where did you get the 4" Monte Carlo dimension? 10" sounds like a good starting height. i'd throw some lumber at it and rough out some seats cutting them down as needed.
looking at John's Monte Carlo seat seems like he will be about 10" with upholstery

Brian

Postby Brian » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:25 am

I'll need to do that. The 4" is off the plans. But as I measure up my own seating position, that is going to put my hair (what's left of it) right above the windshield, where it ought to be (max). Part of the problem is that I used larger stringers (because I didn't want to rip down perfectly good Spruce). So I may have to notch them down a couple of inches to get the sole as low as possible.

Thanks for the pic. I want to plank the sides of my interior like that, with mahogany. I've seen this before and it is a great look, relatively easy, and helps let the boat dry out. Are they like 6" X 1/2" planks, spaced about 1/4"?

billy c

Postby billy c » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:50 am

Brian wrote:Thanks for the pic. I want to plank the sides of my interior like that, with mahogany. I've seen this before and it is a great look, relatively easy, and helps let the boat dry out. Are they like 6" X 1/2" planks, spaced about 1/4"?

3/8- 1/2 sounds about right. you may end up spiling them as they curve slightly and get narrower as they go aft in the cockpit

Brian

Postby Brian » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:22 am

I've avoided thinking about the joinery involved with the cover boards. Don't you just get the widest pieces you can to cover as long a curve as possible and butt-join them? Is there a "cooler" way to do it?

On the interior planking, are those oval SS screws with finish washers?

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:53 am

Brian

Postby Brian » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:22 am

Thanks, Billy. Skip's thread is awesome and answers many questions!

Return to “Hankinson designs”