20ft Texas Barrel

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

hoodman

Re: 20ft Texas Barrel

Postby hoodman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:04 pm

I like it without stain, but you can't tell nothin on a computer monitor.

mickfly

Postby mickfly » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:19 pm

I used Sandusky Chris Craft Red and was concerned about it looking “too red.” I thinned it to the consistency of thick varnish, with turpentine, only left it on for about 30 sec before aggressively rubbing it off. I then rubbed it down with a turp-dampened rag. You can see the color in my Key Largo Charleston thread. After stain, I sprayed on three light coats of Petit sealer. The sealer gave the boat a nice brown cast...

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:38 am

My stain thoughts.

I would use one color straight out of the can without mixing with other stains. If you have to make a repair later it might be difficult to get a perfect match. I have had to re-stain in a couple of areas, and even with the single color stain, it is difficult to get a good match.

Here are some pictures of boats from the Tahoe boat show. The Chris Craft boats used the reddish stain. The Gar Wood boats are not as red. Perhaps the Gar Wood boats left the wood natural. (thought I read that somewhere.)

Jim
Attachments
PB090023.JPG
This is a Gar Wood
PB090020.JPG
Another Gar Wood
P8080052.JPG
Typical Chris Crafts with the reddish stain
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:33 pm

I agree with Jim's assessment on the stains. My transom was a mix and I have two small spots that will need restaining. I tried once and completely missed the mark.For my cabin sides, I've decided to stick with epoxy and varnish and let the natural color of the wood show through.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

TomB

Postby TomB » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:36 pm

I made some stained samples today. I tried for 2 parts of one and 1 of the other...I agree with Jim too. Tom

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:39 am

Ok, good conversation. I will make up a few sample plates to give me an idea of the color I want. Ive never have much luck with sample color pieces, a 6” sq sample vs an entire boat look way different. Kinda leaning back toward epoxy seal coat / varnish over Mahogany with no stain. I’m not glassing above the waterline.
Glass and Silvertip epoxy (my favorite for wetting out glass) arrives today and I’m pulling the rudder and strut hardware off the Supra ski boat this weekend.
Matt B

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:48 am

Jim posted this pic, look how far the rudder extends past the transom. The Glen L motor installation book clearly states not to do that without a cavitation plate above the rudder, what gives with this one?
Matt B
Attachments
85788763-460B-482C-9AD9-87966E9F9257.jpeg

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:40 am

Does look kinda odd but it's probably an optical illusion caused by the water. It looks like it's a wide one too (front to back). You're right about rudder placement and that rudder is back a ways but I've never heard of these boats having issues with ventilated rudders.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:16 am

Hercdrvr wrote:what gives with this one?
Matt B

They must have learned NOT to do that somehow. Perhaps the engine is far enough back to make that the only choice for rudder placement.

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:45 am

The Barrelback engine placement is a delima of sorts, plans say mount as far forward over CG point. However, shoving it forward cuts directly into cabin real estate.
I was running some mounting numbers and was surprised to find a V8 is only 4 inches longer than a V6 (Chevy). I’m defiantly mounting the engine first then building the decking around it. I’ve seen to many fellows shoehorning it in a hatch that’s in the wrong location.
Matt B

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:11 am

I suggest the stretch. Then squeeze the engine compartment as much as I can. If you can make the hatch wider do that. You can also make the cockpits wider.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

billy c

Postby billy c » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:56 am

Matt
Ken’s plans are quite accurate regarding the engine placement. Changing any dimensions on that will affect the angle of your strut as well as the prop face in the water. Changing performance of the hull. Usually you can gain an inch on each edge of the cockpit as was drawn without interference with anything. That gives bigger guys a more comfortable seating position.
I also have a link for the full size engine that can be printed out and mounted on a board if you want to try a mock-up
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:11 pm

Hercdrvr wrote:
I was running some mounting numbers and was surprised to find a V8 is only 4 inches longer than a V6 (Chevy).

Funny, that's about the cylinder bore diameter on the V8. V6 being 3 cylinders long vs. 4 for the V8 :lol:

Adding to the confusion, the Key Largo and the Barrelback have the same hull but the utility style Key Largo has the engine mounted one frame bay forward of the Barrelback's. And the maximum engine size for the Barrelback is smaller.

Your approach should work, you're already looking ahead at whether you can work on or remove the engine with the deck as it is designed. There's plenty of Barrelback projects in this site to compare notes with.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:51 pm

It's a question of balance. You can't sit behind the engine in the BB. You can have more people in the KL moving to the rear.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

billy c

Postby billy c » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:11 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:It's a question of balance. You can't sit behind the engine in the BB. You can have more people in the KL moving to the rear.

Bill

Yup agree with Bill E
Build as Ken designed and you will be a happy camper
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Return to “Hankinson designs”