20ft Texas Barrel

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

neel thompson

Re: 20ft Texas Barrel

Post by neel thompson »

Nice job Matt. I love the bronze bottom paint. You are so close to doing some flipping. Exciting... You are miles ahead of me, but I look forward to running side by side with your Texas Barrel down or up (not sure) the Tennessee River. For me, that will most likely be G-14 at the earliest. I always enjoy your posts... Keep them coming... Neel

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Neel,
I don’t think She’ll be ready for 2019, I’m taking my time on this build because I don’t have the space for the next build yet (Nor’wester).
Built the right side up cradle, probably add 2 more wheels in the middle. The flip technique is a chain hoist on the ceiling and some framing a few inches beyond the sheer to protect it as she rolls. My home builder friend inspected my attic above the garage and gave me the OK to hoist with the ceiling as long as I spread the load over 4 joists. House was built for a second floor and there’s nothing up there.
Stand by for the carnage.
Matt B
Attachments
C74B9D01-D93B-4105-BC4C-B80D29917EB8.jpeg

jenko

Post by jenko »

very nice :D

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Mental note in the shipwrights log:
Tape and trim the edge of each layer of glass on the bottom for a sharp edge, same as I did on the sides, and don’t overlap the glass on the keel so far. It looks better with the seams tight to the keel. 4” max.
The body work prep and primer covered the seam but it’s the little details that bridge the gap from amateur to professional look.
Just talking to myself,
Matt B
Attachments
A387C107-A895-4E11-86CB-9B79F9EF7594.jpeg

TomB

Post by TomB »

Hey Matt,

Looks good.

I hear echoes of my own little voices. I used the glass cloth sewn edge/fringe on one side. The ends of the glass swelled when the epoxy hit it creating a significant rough edge. The second side was cut against tap, much flatter. I also did a 6" overlapped of the cloth on the keel. I like the idea of the extra protection but it leaves a ridge on each side of the keel and on the transom. A little extra sanding and epoxy squeegeed longitudinally blended out the ridge. It will be fine painted, bright would be a problem.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Nice choice on the bottom paint. Really classy looking.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Solo flip, she’s over. The engine hoist did most of the heavy lifting at first then the winch on the ceiling took over and moved the boat to full vertical.l and eased her down the other side.

Lessons learned: don’t use the building frame to hoist. It created too much weight on the other side of center when the boat reached vertical. I had to quick get a come-a-long into a wall stud and a couple cleats on the floor to control the flip. It would have been better lift on a motor stringer in the boat.
Ok, where did I put that engine?
Matt B
Attachments
5ACC7FC9-2AC7-4C40-9F23-37BC500A319A.jpeg
858F7CF5-259D-48C7-B268-FCA66FA8DFC3.jpeg
A2B230A1-1E6E-4B27-B352-1999C03CC1C0.jpeg

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Congratulations, Matt! You are making this look way too easy.
Matt

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Matt,
You've been asking about my paint finish work, in the picture of the bottom you can see how a gave up on an automotive quality finish about 1/3 of the way back. Too much work that no one will ever see. Probably slow me down a 1/2 a knot too.
Matt B

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Hercdrvr wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:47 pm
Probably slow me down a 1/2 a knot too.
I doubt it. It will self-polish over time. :lol: I really don't see the point of making the bottom perfect unless it's practice for the topsides. But you've already got experience there.
Matt

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I kinda lost control of the flip the last few feet, the bottom paint will need some touch up.

https://youtu.be/9NcBPmEQFas

Matt B

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Congrats on another flip Matt. Nice work. I know what you mean about the bottom finish. I sometimes think we strive so much for perfection that we end up taking some of the fun out of things. Don't get me wrong, doing good quality work is a good thing and something we should all strive to do and improve on. But If you consider that the bottom is going to get the most wear and tear, then a good clean finish is fine. Automotive perfection, like Matt says, save that for the topside if you're inclined.

Looks great and I am looking forward to seeing what you do with the interior. And did I hear right, you're already considering a cruiser as your next build? Wow man, you are a building machine!!
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Hercdrvr wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:40 pm
I kinda lost control of the flip the last few feet, the bottom paint will need some touch up.

https://youtu.be/9NcBPmEQFas

Matt B
Just like bringing in one of those C130s right?
Matt

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Way to go Matt.... I just can't get over what you've done to that garage floor !!! It's starting to look like mine....

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Caring for a garage floor is a waste of time, hit the dried big epoxy globs with a belt sander and then roll on a fresh coat of floor paint before the “for sale sign” goes up.
Matt B

Return to “Hankinson designs”